997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

A Good Track Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
A Good Track Day

I had a really good, albeit short, day at High Plains Raceway on Saturday. Here's why;
  • Mixed half a tank of 100 octane unleaded race fuel with the usual 91 octane premium we get around here to ward off premature detonation in the 100+ degree heat. (Track temps were reported to be around 130 in the afternoon.) What an amazing difference in power! Top speed on the straight improved 7-8 mph (145-ish) even though I was short shifting under 6K rpm because of the heat. The bad news was that after a 30 minute and 25 minute session it cost $112 to top off the tank ($9 per gallon)! This must be the automotive equivalent of "crack for the car".
  • Got my $30 iPhone "TrackPro" app working. Utilizing the GPS component of the phone, it automatically records lap times so my BS'ing days are over. (I'm not quite as fast as I thought I was so it's time to get working on a set of track wheels and r-comps or slicks.....) Very cool app in any case.
  • One of mechanics from 3R Auto Racing correctly diagnosed and fixed in about 15 minutes a loose drop link that was causing an annoyingly loud clunk when going over rough pavement. Thanks, Paul!
  • Half way through the 3rd session, my brake pad warning light came on and sure enough, they were below minimums. They were new 6 weeks ago and had 5 track days on them but "When your brakes are through, so are you..." I usually carry a spare set but not this time. Dumb mistake. This is starting to add up........
Anyway, given that this weekend was the one year anniversary of when my turbo and motor blew under similar conditions, I was just very pleased to be rolling around once again and at how the car is now performing. Compared to the cost of a rebuild, I can afford a lot of brake pads, expensive gasoline and high quality motor oil! And, thanks to Evoms for doing a great job!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats. Try the new Hawk DTC-60s for pads. Great track pad that can be used for the street with no problems. A full set costs the same as just the fronts on Pagids.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
sounds like a blast, good for you! I always laugh at your sig about the racing porsche's LOL. SO True!!

Just heard my next track event has been cancelled at Watkins Glen due to track repair. Really bummed. it's been a while since i've been in my race car and I miss it.

Folks always ask if I regret selling the 997TT and going the dedicated track car route. Not at all. The more I tracked the turbo the less fun it got to drive on the street. Crappy roads, massive traffic, and cops just weren't fun to have a car like that. Would like to get to the track a bit more, but was averaging around 2 events a month, which I guess is OK. That amount of track seems to keep away the turbo pains from coming around.

And yes, it's expensive LOL. The one good thing is that i'm not all that concerned with cosmetics with this car like the turbo. A scratch here or there is no big deal. Hell, I don't think i've washed the race car yet. Every nick used to drive me nuts with the 997TT.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Sounds like a fun time! What pads were you running that you could still use the sensors? OEM?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by E55AMG
sounds like a blast, good for you! I always laugh at your sig about the racing porsche's LOL. SO True!!

Just heard my next track event has been cancelled at Watkins Glen due to track repair. Really bummed. it's been a while since i've been in my race car and I miss it.

Folks always ask if I regret selling the 997TT and going the dedicated track car route. Not at all. The more I tracked the turbo the less fun it got to drive on the street. Crappy roads, massive traffic, and cops just weren't fun to have a car like that. Would like to get to the track a bit more, but was averaging around 2 events a month, which I guess is OK. That amount of track seems to keep away the turbo pains from coming around.

And yes, it's expensive LOL. The one good thing is that i'm not all that concerned with cosmetics with this car like the turbo. A scratch here or there is no big deal. Hell, I don't think i've washed the race car yet. Every nick used to drive me nuts with the 997TT.
Thanks for your reply. Had I known what I know now when I bought the Turbo a couple of years ago, I would have gone the GT3 or dedicated race car route.

But here I am. Even a set of track wheels and tires is a very high dollar proposition. Work with me on this.......

So, the Misses, who really is in charge, and to whom I've lived with in splendid wedded bliss for 35 years says, "Okay, you can get track tires. But, then you need a trailer and something to pull it with since you are 225 miles from the track. That means you need a place to store that ### with since our current home and covenants wouldn't allow it. So, we need to move! And even in the mountain real estate downturn, this would be a very expensive proposition to buy land and out buildings and whatnot!

So, I'm just trucking along and I think some of this will resolve itself in the next year or so. If I continue to make driving progress and decide to start racing, then it's inevitable. I think you chose the right route and I'm not too far behind.

Stay safe and go fast! Best,

Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Sounds like a fun time! What pads were you running that you could still use the sensors? OEM?
Yes, still on oem's. I've talked with many people and cannot get a good consensus if there is something better than oem for street/track use. Even the racing guys seem to think that oem is the way to go unless you are willing to put up with noise and degraded performance when they are cold or wet. Wish I had a definitive alternative......best,

Old 07-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by E55AMG

I hear about WG closing so they could repave for NASCAR. Tough break.

Have you thought about going to Road America for the Chicago Region Club Race and DE over Labor Day weekend? It's an amazing track and the organization is exceptional! Put it on your bucket list if you can't make it this year. I'm hoping to get there! Best,

Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Glad your also enjoying the season. I have a spare set of Pagid pads that I use on the stock rotors for those days. Are you using R Comp tires?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by salerno713
Glad your also enjoying the season. I have a spare set of Pagid pads that I use on the stock rotors for those days. Are you using R Comp tires?
No, not yet. It's that 225 mile drive over two mountain passes (9500, 11,500 ft) that's working on me. Short of finding someone who can transport a set, I think I will get a set of R-888's that I can run when the weather looks good to get to and fro. Otherwise, it's not so much what track conditions warrant, it's what will get me home safely.

What Pagids are you running?

Hope everything is good in your world! Best,

Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steamboat
I hear about WG closing so they could repave for NASCAR. Tough break.

Have you thought about going to Road America for the Chicago Region Club Race and DE over Labor Day weekend? It's an amazing track and the organization is exceptional! Put it on your bucket list if you can't make it this year. I'm hoping to get there! Best,
I actually saw a few events on motorsportsreg.com at Road America. I've really been wanting to go there. haven't checked google yet but i'm thinking it's a 14-15 hr drive? Hell, VIR is a 10 hour drive. Would also like to check out Mid-Ohio. Maybe I can do a back to back at both tracks? LOL.

And yeah, going the dedicated track car route does add to some logistical concerns like trailer, tow vehicle, where to store the trailer etc. I have a pretty good solution. The car stays in my garage (when it's not with my tech LOL) and i rented a spot at one of those storage places to keep the trailer. $100 month which isn't bad.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
"so my BS'ing days are over. (I'm not quite as fast as I thought I was so it's time to get working on a set of track wheels and r-comps or slicks.....) Very cool app in any case."

LOL!

I never wanted to state times until I had an official system installed because I didn't want to be BS'ing (). However, If you are using Harry's Lap Timer, its pretty darn accurate. After running a rented AMB Timer last year and syncing with a Harry's on board. It was plus or minus a tenth every lap...its not considered official timing, but is way closer than a stop watch and close enough to say what you are really running.

I have been running Pagid RS19's since switching over to steel rotors and the brake pad sensors still work. The rear sensors are tricky to remove and re-install, but doable if you're careful and take your time. I have been running CUP Car Brake Fluid until this spring, when I switch over to Endless, I really like it so far.

I know I few of us on this thread are very curious to hear feed back on R-888's. Please keep us posted if you end up getting a set.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
You actually have your sensors hooked up?

I gave up on brake wear sensors 5 years ago with my M3. Just zip tie those stupid things off.

I use Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone with the Emprum 10hz GPS and Kiwi OBDII wifi with a Dock Extender cable for the Emprum and a Cigarette lighter -> USB power plug to keep the whole setup charging all day. Works pretty well for me. Harry is without question a genius and a very nice guy to boot.

Once you are no longer a DE 'novice' it is worth your time and money to swap between race pads and street pads. You will burn your street pads up very quickly on the track, it's not even worth running them. Surprised you even made it 5 days on OEM pads!

I have never run Pagids myself, just PFC.

Based on my experience, if you want to know what it is like to have the hand of god slowing your car down lap after lap, get the PFC01.

Once you've burned through a set of those, try a little longer lasting compound and see which you like best (e.g. PFC08 or 06).

It goes without saying you should be running high temp brake fluid. I have Endless in my car now but the stuff is ridiculously expensive and I'm probably going to try to go with with something cheaper next.

Get some vids up man -- Gopros are so cheap these days, there is no excuse not to

Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by djben
You actually have your sensors hooked up?

I gave up on brake wear sensors 5 years ago with my M3. Just zip tie those stupid things off.

I use Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone with the Emprum 10hz GPS and Kiwi OBDII wifi with a Dock Extender cable for the Emprum and a Cigarette lighter -> USB power plug to keep the whole setup charging all day. Works pretty well for me. Harry is without question a genius and a very nice guy to boot.

Once you are no longer a DE 'novice' it is worth your time and money to swap between race pads and street pads. You will burn your street pads up very quickly on the track, it's not even worth running them. Surprised you even made it 5 days on OEM pads!

I have never run Pagids myself, just PFC.

Based on my experience, if you want to know what it is like to have the hand of god slowing your car down lap after lap, get the PFC01.

Once you've burned through a set of those, try a little longer lasting compound and see which you like best (e.g. PFC08 or 06).

It goes without saying you should be running high temp brake fluid. I have Endless in my car now but the stuff is ridiculously expensive and I'm probably going to try to go with with something cheaper next.

Get some vids up man -- Gopros are so cheap these days, there is no excuse not to
Thanks for your comments, I take them in a constructive way.

Since I run in the black group I guess I'm doing okay holding my own with the GT3's and Cups......Better tires and brakes would surely help as I'm ~8% off the "fast guys" pace with my street's and oems! But, please see previous posts about what I've got to go through (or over) to get to the track.

I need to get with the Go Pro thing......just too much other stuff to do at the track for the time being. Having just celebrated my 60th birthday I'm not quite a Luddite but I still struggle to stay current with what 's going on tech wise. In the meantime, go fast, stay safe and please enjoy an extra stone crab or bottle of wine when you get to Joe's......a favorite place of mine when I lived in that part of the world!