997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo Road Trip! - Flying South to pick up a new toy - (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
C4TT is infamous around these parts
997 Turbo Road Trip! - Flying South to pick up a new toy - (new pics)

Hey Guys,

This is my second Porsche, the first being a Protomotive C4 twin turbo owned back in 05-06.
Just recently while ceaselessly pounding various car sale sites, I came across what seemed to be a beautifully mint, 18k mile 07 997 Turbo in GT Silver. The only caveat was that it was located in Georgia, roughly 1000 miles from me in CT. The other asterisk to this deal, was that I needed to unload my 2011 Supersonic Blue Corvette Z06, seen bellow.

After many back and fourth phone calls with the dealer, and several videos of the Porsche being paint metered and examined, I pulled the trigger and shipped the Z06 to them for trade. My decision was compounded by the fact that I found the original owner of the Porsche, who was very friendly and informative. (and had great taste if I may add)

Here is the car:

The 07 apparently has EVO MS Headers, highflow cats and Fabspeed exhaust, Champion MS61 Magnesium wheels, Techart Steering wheel and some Bluetooth to PCM kit. She used to have clearbra and GIAC tune but the dealer omitted them in order to adhere to CPO requirements !
Consequently, I am totally prepared to shop for clutches and I've ordered some TracWrap to quickly, yet carefully protect the exposed regions from road rash. I'll assess new clearbra once I have the front lip painted bodycolor.

So, this Saturday, my wife drops me off at La Guardia Airport for a 10am flight to Atlanta, where I'll be picked up by my uber helpfull and friendly salesman.

On my way back from GA, I plan on making a pit stop for the night to visit the fellow who bought one of my previous project cars, a GR40SS Kenne Bell Shelby GT500 with over 800HP.

Anyways, the Z06 arrived at the dealer, and everything I said about the cars cleanliness heald up to the used car manager's standards, so the deal is a go!

As you guys can imagine, between shipping the Z06 off to an unknown place, buying a site unseen car, and driving it 1000 miles home, I'm a little wired.

I'll post more pics of the trip and the pickup as I go. It's no Euro delivery, but still an adventure of sorts!

UPDATE:
My wife used airline miles to book me on a first class flight to Atlanta, where I was kindly picked up by my salesman in a brand new Panamera.

The Hennessy dealership and team were flawless. This is coming from a hyper critical person, who's attention to detail will eventually impair his ability to fully enjoy life... lol (says my wife)
The dealership itself is large, but well organized from the front desk to the shop which thankfully had AC! One of the only Porsche shops with it for that matter.

After we swiftly completed the paperwork, my salesman took hours of his day to help me set the Porsche up for the road trip

Here are some shots of the completed TRACWRAP with some bandaids courtesy of the clear bra guys who were the only other people there...:

These guys ended up being VERY helpful and friendly, although a bit confused.lol

I should note that both are Porsche owners and enthusiasts. If you guys see this, thanks again fellas!
After a few goodbyes, I made my way up the coast towards my friend's place in NC.

The midnight meetup...

It was great seeing the Shelby and my friend who's taken awesome care of her. The least awkward encounter with an ex EVER!
lol the Shelby that is...
A few other shots of the Porsche in gorgeous farmland.

I finally made it home after roughly 16 hours of observing the speed limit to some degree.
I carefully removed the TRACWRAP, and was very pleasantly surprised to reveal a perfect surface and NO residue which the wrap guys thought it may leave.
They recommended leaving her in the sun to warm the paint and plastic.
Top marks on this product!

Thanks for reading guys!!

G

Last edited by C4TT; 07-27-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM
vdubjetta02 is infamous around these parts
Jealous!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 AM
hkalavii is infamous around these parts
That looks like a clean porsche. Good luck!! What an awesome adventure.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
congrats on the adventure to get the beautiful car! Do post your impressions of the car, and any comparisons between it and the Z06.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys. I test drove another 07 recently that was totally stock. Granted the sales guy was pretty large, but it clearly felt like it had more weight to lug around and less snappy than the Z06 which is so light out of the gate. This car has full exhaust so that must be worth a few ponies. It will really be the tune that wakes it up.

I remember going for a quick ride in a friends car with tune and fabspeed exhaust only seen here:

The whole time my brain was thinking:
This effing basic bolt on machine feels faster down low that my 800hp Kenne Bell GT500 and the Z06!

Handling/braking dynamics will come after some seat time...

Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Video of someone paint metering the car, that is brilliant! With easy video using a cell phone, that should be routine! Amazing to think how technology could really facilitate an out of state purchase. I suppose you could even "face time" a full inspection and have a guy walk around an entire car and show you whatever you need.
I think I saw that listing. Looks like a nice one. Enjoy!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Video of someone paint metering the car, that is brilliant! With easy video using a cell phone, that should be routine! Amazing to think how technology could really facilitate an out of state purchase. I suppose you could even "face time" a full inspection and have a guy walk around an entire car and show you whatever you need.
I think I saw that listing. Looks like a nice one. Enjoy!
Dealers always seemed to use the meter when it didn't suit my interests like when I returned my wife's banged up lease lol. So I figured why not put it to use the other way around! I came here saw what numbers to look for, and bam. Everything was right on the money!

BTW, I'm near Rye! I pass through there at least 3 times a week! I'll keep an eye out for a red M. I'm always at the Patisserie Salzburg getting coffee

Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM
fpd
fpd is infamous around these partsfpd is infamous around these parts
hey c4tt,

i'm in a similar situation but could not take time to drive my car back from Kentucky. It's on a truck and getting delivered tomorrow morning (just spoke to driver). i'm psyched. I am heading to Scotland to play golf for a week tomorrow night and thought i was going to have to have my wife take care of the delivery. (they are delivering to my friend's Jeep dealer in Croton. He was going to store it for a week). No need for that now! It's a meteor grey 09 turbo cab. I am not far from you as i live in Pleasantville, NY.

good luck with your car and enjoy the drive home...

Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
When I bought my car no-one seemed to know what a paint meter was, lol.

Yeah the basic tune and exhaust really transform the car. I could easily keep up with my buddy's lightly modded Z06. After I put on bigger vtg turbos that Z06 didn't stand a chance. The midrange torque and acceleration on the P car is incredible. I did love the sound of the stock Z06, not quite as good when the upgraded exhaust was put on though.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 AM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light
Enjoy the new ride!

Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Great purchase and sounds like a great drive back. Can't understand the comment about the clearbra and the GIAC tune being removed so the car can be CPO'd. The car should not be able to be CPO'd with the other modifications?

Great roads where you are too. Have fun with it.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Congrats and enjoy her in good health.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 AM
tpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud oftpduke112 has much to be proud of
That is a beautiful car!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Banned
Mattym6 is a jewel in the roughMattym6 is a jewel in the roughMattym6 is a jewel in the rough
Hows the road Trip Going Mate ,according to the Time line you should be touching down In NY Soon ...

Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Congrats! Hope the drive back goes well and you get a chance to properly open that beauty up!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo Road Trip! - Flying South to pick up a new toy - (pics)