997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fabspeed Quad Tips - Install Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM
fpd
fpd is infamous around these partsfpd is infamous around these parts
Fabspeed Quad Tips - Install Questions

Had dealer install (i know, i have no mechanical skills!!) when my new to me 09 turbo cab was in for a minor item service. The black chrome tips look great with the Meteor Grey exterior. i do have a couple of questions...the left tips are perfectly aligned. When i look at the right side, the far right tip is perhaps a hair higher. I'm probably splitting hairs here, but since these are one piece items i have the following questions for guys who have done this install:

1) is it possible to loosen the bolt and adjust the tips? i probably need at most, an 1/8 of an inch clockwise rotation to make the right side perfect. Is there any play clockwise or counter clockwise when you put these on before tightening?

2) what specific tool is required to lossen or tighten the bolt? Can this be done without removing the rear bumper?

Thanks is advance and again please excuse my complete ingnorance. Having a lot of fun with the car as it arrived from Blue Grass Porsche the day i left for an overseas trip so i have only just been starting to drive it.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Congrats on the car and yes the tips are adjustable and it is very simple to take them off/adjust them without having to remove the bumper.

Jack up the car and after securing it on the stand or better yet, drive it over 4-6" thick wooden piece, crawl underneath the car and you will see a single bolt that's holding the tips to the exhaust pipe.

If memory serves me right, the bolt either takes a 13 or a 14 mm socket so not much to worry about. Loosen,adjust and tighten the bolt and you are done.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Fabspeed exhaust tips.

I purchased a pair. Not only did they not align. The way the tip is designed black carbon drips down on the lower bumper giving a nice black carbon streak on my GT silver paint. I tried moving the tips further out and still get the black dripping over the paint. With these tips on they also started to melt the black exhaust rings. I have removed the tips and went back to stock. What a waste of money. I'm running a cargraphic exhaust, which I was told would work with these tips.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Berndindallas is infamous around these parts
I put the black crome tips on my TT (EP1 exhaust) a few month ago and never encountered any of these problems. There's some moisture accumulating on the inside after starting the car but that disappears when the exhaust system is warm. And the plastic cover around the tips looks good as new. Are you sure you've put the tips on the right way? Maybe too far in or misaligned and some blow-by exhaust is melting the plastic?

And the alignment is easily changed too. I crawled under the rear and adjusted it at least a half dozen times, but that's just me being a&al about it...

Last edited by Berndindallas; 08-08-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM
fpd
fpd is infamous around these partsfpd is infamous around these parts
what tool did you use to do your adjustments?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Berndindallas is infamous around these parts
All you need is a 13 or 14mm socket wrench (memory is not what is used to be) and a bit of patience. After I loosened the nut securing the tips I wiggled it into place (there's a bit of play to move them around) and secured it with some small softwood wedges I had lying around in the garage to keep it from moving when I tighten the nut. Just don't forget to remove whatever you used to secure the tips in place before starting the car.
Oh, and what quick said, drive the rear wheels on some wooden blocks, just make sure the car is in gear and the parking brake on before crawling underneath the bumper...safety first.... Works like a charm and will give you enough room under the car to work the tips.