997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New 997 Turbo buyer. Help needed on Over Rev / Ignitions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Too many good cars kept getting passed on just 'coz of these over rev issues.

What are the odds of an engine damage at 263 hours and not showing any issues 400 hours later.

The point is, at range 5 every one here thinks the car is going to have a catastrophic engine failure so walk away. My point is, if the engine had occured any engine damage, it would have shown some signs by now.

If there's no smoking issue or any funny noises and the car runs strong then it is fine. If you really like the car and it has the options and the price is right, then get a compression/leakdown test done and if that's ok then the car is fine.

On a side note, Porsche will CPO a car with range 5 if it had covered atleast 80 engine hours pass the range 5 over revs and I did come across atleast 2 such cars in my search last year.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
chris-w is infamous around these parts
Porsch CPO basically means after the 300 point check (I think it 300 points) is done that they will in fact warranty the car. Your telling me that as long as the Range 5 happened quite a long time ago and the car has been running strong since then I should be good to go.

I have forward the details to a friend who runs Porsche West London and he is going to give it to his boys to assess if the car would be capable of getting a Porsche warrantly. If so I might get one just in case, although I'm not sure they would be keen if its been tuned

Last edited by chris-w; 08-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Fo an added piece of mind just buy an after market warranty which I am sure you will never get to use it from the engine point of view.

Having a Porsche mechanic look at the car and reviewing the over revs would be a good idea and please share his wisdom with us about the dreaded range 5 over revs

Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by quick
Fo an added piece of mind just buy an after market warranty which I am sure you will never get to use it from the engine point of view.

Having a Porsche mechanic look at the car and reviewing the over revs would be a good idea and please share his wisdom with us about the dreaded range 5 over revs
Thats actually not a bad plan> i just got a quote for the warrantyl its up to the value of the car and costs £850 so not bad at all.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by quick
Too many good cars kept getting passed on just 'coz of these over rev issues.

What are the odds of an engine damage at 263 hours and not showing any issues 400 hours later.

The point is, at range 5 every one here thinks the car is going to have a catastrophic engine failure so walk away. My point is, if the engine had occured any engine damage, it would have shown some signs by now.

If there's no smoking issue or any funny noises and the car runs strong then it is fine. If you really like the car and it has the options and the price is right, then get a compression/leakdown test done and if that's ok then the car is fine.

On a side note, Porsche will CPO a car with range 5 if it had covered atleast 80 engine hours pass the range 5 over revs and I did come across atleast 2 such cars in my search last year.

Hope that helps.
Agreed

Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by chris-w
i just got a quote for the warrantyl its up to the value of the car and costs £850 so not bad at all.
Make sure it is an exclusionary warranty where the policy tells you what is not covered.

Now go out and buy a TT and enjoy the living heck out of it

Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by chris-w
Thats actually not a bad plan> i just got a quote for the warrantyl its up to the value of the car and costs £850 so not bad at all.
So what did you finally decide ?

Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I ended up buying a different car with 2 years porsche warranty. Only ended up costing $1000 more but its completely standard.