997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New 997 Turbo buyer. Help needed on Over Rev / Ignitions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
chris-w is infamous around these parts
New 997 Turbo buyer. Help needed on Over Rev / Ignitions

I am currently looking at picking up my first 997 Turbo and its had about $20,000 in engine upgrades taking it to 600-650BHP

I was warned about Over Rev on these cars as well as other bits and pieces so requested the computer printout of the Ingitions and would love some feedback.. Should I not worry or should I run?

The car has also had the RPM levels increased as was explained to me so thats why there are quite a few Ingitions in levels 1 and 2.

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Most will say walk away based on the report. Range 5 revs are usually are no nos however it seems it happened several hours ago. With a rev limiter increase usually of 500RPM you can void rev 1 and 2 over ignitions. Do a search on the forum you will find many threads on this.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
TRhe range 5 was at 263 hours and the car is now on 657. So it was in the first 1/3 of its life. Probably done when they were tuning it..

What do you mean re voiding rev 1 and 2 over ignitions?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:26 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chris-w
TRhe range 5 was at 263 hours and the car is now on 657. So it was in the first 1/3 of its life. Probably done when they were tuning it..

What do you mean re voiding rev 1 and 2 over ignitions?
Yes it was like I said most will walk away regardless but the choice is yours. Since the rev limiter is raised your by default going to get a lot of Range 1-2 over revs See attachement and good luck with your purchase

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM
SidePieceRacing is infamous around these partsSidePieceRacing is infamous around these parts
I hope the price is right.. otherwise it might be more fun to get a stock car and do the mod a yourself. I bought a CPO car with a handful of over revs in the four range.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 AM
The price is circa £46K Sterling around $72,000 USD.

The upgrades cost quite a bit. From what Ive been told it looks like the range 5 ignitions at a count of 60 is exactly 20 revolutions which at the highest level of ingnition 5 (9000 rpm) we are talking about is 0.12 of a second at that speed and its more likely it was in the 7,900 region.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Do you know the specifics on the engine upgrades? If internals were upgraded, the over-revs likely have far less relevance than if the engine internals are stock. Range 5's, even remote ones, almost always make buyers uncomfortable.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty sure the car is running stock internals. I've never bought one of these cars before hence doing my homework before picking up a potential headache. I do like the car a lot but my head rules my heart these days.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
I'm in the "walk away" camp eurotom mentioned. Too many unknowns, and too many other options out there.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
One more thought... Although unlikely, I would make sure the "upgrades" we're not repairs. With stock internals, I might keep looking with the range 5's.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I called the tuning shop who had nothing but good things to say about the car and the work done to it. I also discussed the Range 5 blip of 60 and they looked in to it and advised me it was a very long time ago and such a small fraction of a second was not worth worring about.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by chris-w
I called the tuning shop who had nothing but good things to say about the car and the work done to it. I also discussed the Range 5 blip of 60 and they looked in to it and advised me it was a very long time ago and such a small fraction of a second was not worth worring about.
Probably all true. Just keep in mind, when it is time for you to sell it, some buyers will have the same reservations expressed here. Obviously, that will be a diminishing issue as time passes. Ultimately, it is your call. Sounds like a nice car at a good price.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
I personally would rely on who built/modified the car. If they have a good reputation for quality work, and are a good shop. I would not walk away.

However, understand that owning a modifed car is a lifestyle. You have to understand that anything could break at any time. If you are unable to repair a car, or have a car repaired... Well, then I would go look for a CPO car, and keep it stock.

I let my heart overide my head sometimes. Life is just too much fun!

Mike

Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Chris-w below are two good reads regarding DME interpretation with opinions on what one would do or not do. The general consensus is there are plenty of cars out there with a clean bill of health, but I understand what it's like to fall in love with the wrong women, you know its bad but you want it anyway If you are really concerned you can have a leak down and compression test done of course at costs.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/257785-reading-dme-informative-post.html<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/257624-my-guide-how-buy-used-997tt.html#post3341900<o></o>

Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Would a leakdown and compression test clear all worries? basically the pressures on the cylinders should all be near enough the same.. Once cylinder out would show damage correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 997 Turbo buyer. Help needed on Over Rev / Ignitions