997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Water In Passenger Side Floor In A New TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Karman is infamous around these parts
Water In Passenger Side Floor In A New TT

I took my new 2012 TT to the dealer to have the radio replaced because the radio display would freeze and no sound, and also to check out a relay that clicks every 3 seconds. The dealer found that the passenger side floor was soaked with water, and the Bose amp had shorted out. I didn't believe it, so I checked it out myself - The passenger seat was out, front hood open with panels exposed, amp disconnected -- rug was soaked with water! My heart sank in shock, with fears of being stuck with a Lemon - a $150k car that's 3 mos. old with only 700mi.

The dealer is going to take out all the rugs to dry, replace the amp, check the A/C drains from the evaporator to drain beneath the car. God only knows what's next.

The car has seen rain once for only 10 minutes (bringing the car from the dealership 4 wks ago to check out the initial radio problem), and it has always been garaged.

I had expressed concerns about the condition of the car to the original dealer before purchase (bought car sight unseen, out of state), since it was kept outside on the dealer lot for the last 3 months, and not in the showroom. They assured me that everything was OK. Most of my concerns were cosmetic at that point. I am very disillusioned with Porsche, and good thing I haven't sent in any of the surveys yet! Not that it will change anything....

Questions:
1) I wonder if the A/C drains got clogged from storing the car at the dealer lot, or was the drainage incorrect from the factory?
2) What damages could happen to the electronics if the amp shorts, and the radio freezes? Damage to other areas?
3) What is the correct treatment for this? Has this happened to anyone else?
4) Will the car have mold or smells or other unforseen problems stemming from wet passenger compartment?

Thanks Guys!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would be concerned with mold down the line. They must know it received water damage, I'd take this to the next level above the dealer as long term this may effect the value of the car.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I know for a fact that the car was parked on the dealer lot for several months before I bought it to make room for the 991. I questioned them about it, and assured me that the car was free of problems, etc. Is it plausible that the drains could've been blocked during that time?
Should I enforce the Lemon Law on PCNA or the out of state dealer? I bought a new ca to avoid potential issues and this is the BS I have to contend with now! Why should I have to take a hit on the value of a new car, when it wasn't my fault?! How can I treat this properly. I don't know what to do.

Last edited by Karman; 08-25-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 AM
alexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the rough
You should enforce everything now and start pounding them. The sooner the better, They will give you run arounds and keep transfering you to different people/departments, it's going to be a headache but you have to act fast and put pressure now.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 AM
alexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the rough
I would ask to replace for free every part that was affected and a free extended warranty at the least.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:24 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by alexo
free extended warranty at the least.
Good Idea and If it was me I would definately be askngi them to Certify the car (2 additional years + upto 100,000 miles)

Old 08-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Thank you gmoney, alexo, and quick for your excellent advice! You guys are amazing!!!! I will hound them down on Monday, even though they didn't state whether I was going to pay for it. The full extension of 2 additional years is a genius idea. I told them that the car was parked in the dealer lot for several months before purchase (I even have a photo they sent of the car on the lot where dust was visible on the windshield if necessary).

I know the car was also driven to a club event 35 miles away - I accounted for the miles between web posting odometer and the odometer reading just before purchase. You know I won't exceed 1300 - 1500 mi/yr on the car. I baby this thing - no rain, no city driving, no snow, no parking under trees, no valet, single driver.

If I get the 2 yr extended warranty, I am buying you guys a round of drinks at a future event! Thanks, guys!

Old 08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Karman
If I get the 2 yr extended warranty, I am buying you guys a round of drinks at a future event! Thanks, guys!
It's not a matter of "IF" you get the warranty, you "HAVE" to get something in return for this incident as the car now has a blemish on the record which theoretically can be "VIEWED" by any future buyer resulting in a decreased "INTEREST/VALUE" of the car.

The dealer knows you bought a brand new car and probably will buy another one so he will make sure he gets things right for you.

Call the dealer on Monday get the New Car sales manager's email address. Once you have that, shoot him an email regarding your reservation on keeping this flooded car and that you would like to set up an appointment (no tele call) to talk to him about the issue.

At the meeting, be very polite and professional and tell him in most flood cases cars, the issues (smell/electrical/carpet) etc etc usually don't show up for several years and that you don't want to deal with all that the hassle and that you would appreciate if they could give you a replacement car,period.

What ever you do, do not make any compromises atleast not in your first few meetings which they will try to do but remember, you just bougth abrand new car and it's your right to get the issue resolved to your likings and not to Porsches.

You can always ask for the GM and the local district rep to get involve in the discussion.

In worst case scenario, if you have to settle at all, then ask for all new parts installation (carpets/electronics etc etc), ofcourse at their expense along with the certification (2 yrs/100,000 miles) not only for your peace of mind but for the resale value too.

These dealers don't mind screwing us where ever they can so here is your chance to get what you deserve.

Hope we can make a difference.

O btw, I don't drink, so would it be Ok if i ask for a coke, regular one ofcourse

Last edited by quick; 08-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:02 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
I would definitely contact a lawyer as Porsche dealers like any other dealers are "used car salesmen".

I bet the drainage hoses that are in the cowl on either side of the batter are plugged up with gunk and crap, which means that when water gets in there (e.g., washing the car, rain and etc.) it doesn't drain and it eventually finds its way into the cabin.

Let us know how it goes and sorry to hear about the crap you are going through.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you quick and 512bb for the heads up brotherly advice! I don't know what pathways water could enter the interior of the car or what damage lurkes inside. Could the water from the AC enter the dashboard? If so, then the internal electronics will be shot in time. The radio, amp, and water damage could be the least of the problems, as there could be a myriad of electrical issues that can result in the future due to corrosion and moisture. If this is the case, I'll have to have Porsche refund me the money, since there are no more allocations for new 2012 TT, so I can't order a new one. There are no more 2012 TT.

Which dealer should I be approaching, the one servicing the car, or where I bought the car? I bought the car out of state, 1000 mi away.

With a brand new car, I thought I'd never be writing such things, let alone ever something like this ever crossing my mind... Thanks for everything, guys!

Last edited by Karman; 08-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Once the car is purchased it's now between you and PCNA.

Good Luck as you will need a lot of it.

Just remember 3 P's (Patience,Professionalism and Persistence)

Porsche will try their best to not take the car back as these things could happen at any time. However, what you need is to put enough pressure on them where if they won't give you a new car atleast they will give you what ever makes you happy.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks, quick. I'll remember the 3P's. Never mind a drink, I'll get you a case of Coke! I don't think I could've received better advice from a close relative. I am still numb with shock that I have to deal with all of this on a brand new car?! I have saved all correspondences. I just looked at the photo the salesman sent of the car parked on the lot for several months, one can see the dust on the wheels, and windshield. A red flag was raised at that time because the jpg image file number from his camera read 0666 - the devil's number. Oh well, I am printing out everything now and formulating a coherent sequence of events, dates, receipts, etc.
In retrospect, maybe I should have ordered a GT3 from the factory when I had the chance 2 years ago... But, the rear wing seemed juvenile at the time. Ah, that's how long I've thinking of getting a P car until I finally pulled the trigger and bought one outright a few months ago.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Karman
In retrospect, maybe I should have ordered a GT3 from the factory when I had the chance 2 years ago...
Karman,

There's a reason why things happen they way they happen and it's called " The Fate"

Had you bught the GT3, couldn't you have had the same luck with that car too?

I am also as **** as most of us here on the forum and after having strived for a perfect car from new to barely used, I have come to live with compromises especially when it comes to cars.

As long as they fix the car right, which they will ( new parts/NEW CARPET) AND WITH CERTIFICATION, you should be able to enjoy the car the way it should be.

The good thing is, it probablywas a clean water so hopefully it won't be that big of an issue.

One last suggestion/advice, if this water thingy is going to bother you (right fully so), then make no compromises and try either to trade in the car for a newer model or hire an attorney and get your money back.

Spending a little extra money at this stage could prevent a lot of frustration and anger down the ownership road.

Last edited by quick; 08-26-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 AM
hammy113 is infamous around these parts
Karman,
1/ Report the problem to PCNA Customer Commitment 1-800-767-7243 option 3.
2/ Work with the service dealer but inform the out-of -state dealer about the problem.
3/ And "Just remember 3 P's (Patience,Professionalism and Persistence)" (from quick)

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Great points quick and hammy113. I am going to make the trip into the service dealer tomorrow and hopefully see in person what areas are affected and take photos. When I was there on Friday, the AC evaporator panels were removed and I did see dirt on the surfaces. A picture is a 1000 words - I have the photo sent by the salesman BEFORE purchasing the car which clearly shows where the $150k new car was stored outside for 3 months, AND the dried up dirt and debris visible on the windshield forming a line down below the wiper area where the AC evaporator would be. It's amazing! Moreover, there is settled dirt visible on the wheels which further shows that the car had been there for appreciable amount of time.

I've already drew up a chronology of events, correspondences, copies, and photos just in case I decide to go full force...

Tomorrow I am going to do the following:

1. Call my lawyer friend and see if he or someone he knows does Lemon Law.
2. Insist that all new components be installed.
3. Go to the service dealer and inquire to what extent the water came into the interior. Since the problem started with the radio freezing with no sound, I need to assess if the dashboard electronics were implicated by water damage, or was it just the passenger floor. It is clean water, I smelled it.
4. If the dash is implicated, I should have them buy back the car or at least give me the additional 2yr/100kmi warranty. I can live with the fact if it's just the floor that got wet.
4. Then inform the purchase dealer after I gather the facts from the service dealer.
5. Call PCNA

Thanks again guys!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water In Passenger Side Floor In A New TT