997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Tires decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 AM
hammy113 is infamous around these parts
New Tires decision

My 09 997 TT needs new 4 tires. Should I take the car to the dealer or find an independent tire store? Should I go with the OE tires (Pirelli) or change to Michelin.
Thanks

Old 08-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Go to a tire store for better pricing. Totally fine for something like tires. Try the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (newest, best street tire). Amazing tire!

Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
I just put the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on both cars within the last few months. Great tire. Not "N" rated though. At least they weren't when I bought them. Contact Damon at Tire Rack. He's helped many people on 6speed.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
If your car is a CPO or still has the Porsche warranty go for the stock tires, else go for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. As SamboTT mentioned, these are not yet N rated (which is a requirement/certification by Porsche) and as such if you put them on, you will void your warranty - technically parts of the warranty to do with the drive train.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Get with Damon from Tire Rack. He is a member here and takes care of us! Michelin Pilot Super Sports are great and if you want to save a few bucks but still get some nice tires, the new Toyo Proxes 1.

This is a special porsche forum Tire Rack link:

http://www.tirerack.com/affiliates/l...sp?AFFCODE=AQ5

Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
BigBen97 is a jewel in the roughBigBen97 is a jewel in the roughBigBen97 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 512bb
If your car is a CPO or still has the Porsche warranty go for the stock tires, else go for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. As SamboTT mentioned, these are not yet N rated (which is a requirement/certification by Porsche) and as such if you put them on, you will void your warranty - technically parts of the warranty to do with the drive train.
I called my dealership to confirm if this were true or not(still have CPO on my newly purchased TT) and the service advisor said putting the Michelin Pilot Super Sports have no effect on the warranty, i.e. they won't void the warranty because you don't run N rated tires. To me this makes sense as long as you're running the correct tire sizes.

I'm going to order a set of the PSS this week. I have them on my A6 Avant and they have been great.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 AM
hammy113 is infamous around these parts
My car is still under warranty. I haven't ordered the tires from Tire Rack. How does this work? You have to find a local installer to install the tires right? Do you have any problem finding a local installer?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BigBen97
I called my dealership to confirm if this were true or not(still have CPO on my newly purchased TT) and the service advisor said putting the Michelin Pilot Super Sports have no effect on the warranty, i.e. they won't void the warranty because you don't run N rated tires. To me this makes sense as long as you're running the correct tire sizes.

I'm going to order a set of the PSS this week. I have them on my A6 Avant and they have been great.
Do yourself a favor and get that in writing. I have been told quite the opposite by the dealers I work with in NJ. It does not effect me as my car is out of warranty. These tires are awesome and for the price, I personally would put them on with or without the N rating.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Both thoughts are correct re warranty. It really depends how "bad" the dealer is about this. If you call and ask your local to be safe you will have piece of mind. if you can't pm Damon call tire rack and ask for him.

877-522-8473 ext. 643

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
I'm up for new "shoes" next year... I wish they had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 20's

I'll have to settle for the Pilot Sport.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:55 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
I'm up for new "shoes" next year... I wish they had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 20's

I'll have to settle for the Pilot Sport.

The PSS are availabe in 20's.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 PM
MJA
MJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really nice
Damon, At tire rack was the best. I went with pilot super sports.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eurotom
The PSS are availabe in 20's.
Just checked yesterday, and certainly not in 325/25/20's which is what I'm running right now. I guess 20's in other thinner sizes.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I love my PSS, btw. Have about 1000 miles on them and they are quieter, stickier and better in the wet than my RE050a. Plus, they are supposed to last longer, when was the last time you saw a performance tire with a mileage warranty?!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 PM
BigBen97 is a jewel in the roughBigBen97 is a jewel in the roughBigBen97 is a jewel in the rough
Just ordered a set of PSS today. Should be on the car Friday then off for an alignment.

Last edited by BigBen97; 08-29-2012 at 07:07 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Tires decision