997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Not hitting max boost...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
Not hitting max boost...

Went out for a spin today and noticed that I'm not hitting full boost under full throttle under any conditions; freeway pulls, 35-70 pulls... I'm at about 0.7-0.9, when I should be getting 1.2. It goes up quickly and then seemingly hits a wall. Is this normal?

I feel like I remember the car going all the way to the limit of the boost gauge in the past. Could I have a boost leak? Engine was up to temperature, and weather is about 68°F and 64% humidity.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
I should also mention that I've been hearing slightly odd boost blowoff-ey noises letting off throttle at lower speeds. Maybe some kind of gate is stuck open?

Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
could be a hose loose...i had that problem and the hose at the plenum had been popping off...need to check all the hoses

Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by arash
Went out for a spin today and noticed that I'm not hitting full boost under full throttle under any conditions; freeway pulls, 35-70 pulls... I'm at about 0.7-0.9, when I should be getting 1.2. It goes up quickly and then seemingly hits a wall. Is this normal?

I feel like I remember the car going all the way to the limit of the boost gauge in the past. Could I have a boost leak? Engine was up to temperature, and weather is about 68°F and 64% humidity.
with the sports button on do you at any time see the little "over boost" arrow pop up during full throttle acceleration? I've found this to be the simplest test to determine if full boost is being achieved. if you're not seeing this arrow (and I believe there's a corresponding audible chime as well) then your observation is right that you're not getting full boost

Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM
aa09, does this occur on the Turbo S? In my understanding it is designed to always be in "overboost" mode.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
check the ''diverter valves'' on your VTG turbos, they can be loose. I would go over all possible hoses before anything.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:42 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
aa09, does this occur on the Turbo S? In my understanding it is designed to always be in "overboost" mode.
good clarification, not familiar with the Turbo S

Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 AM
RacerRm1 is infamous around these parts
I pretty sure your car is fine!! i have the 997.2 turbo and max boost is 1.0 bar the previous engines(2007-2009) used to go up to 1.2

Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
BTW, noticing that your car is under warranty just take it to the dealership and let them sort it out

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
check the ''diverter valves'' on your VTG turbos, they can be loose. I would go over all possible hoses before anything.
That was my first thought as well. One thing though...on the Turbo S they're not located on the turbos, they're located on the turbo inlet pipes.

It's a relatively inexpensive fix if that's what's wrong. Might not even be a bad idea to replace them even if they're OK now...eventually the stock ones will start to fail. I've got 'em in stock. http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...p/cmsdv02b.htm. Just keep in mind, for your car, you need 2.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks Tom. I'm curious, what are the physical differences between Turbo and Turbo S? Did they change any other hardware for the extra 30 hp?

Last edited by arash; 09-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Thanks Tom. I'm curious, what are the physical differences between Turbo and Turbo S? Did they change any other hardware for the extra 30 hp?
PM me an email address and I'll send you the Porsche product guide for the Turbo S (it's a big pdf file).

Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM
RacerRm1 is infamous around these parts
Sorry didnt know the Turbo S went up to 1.2 bar I just found out my bad.

Hope you get things sorted out best of luck.