997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

stereo question: tweeter replacement and rewiring on 2007 TT with Bose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Amit Likhyani is infamous around these parts
stereo question: tweeter replacement and rewiring on 2007 TT with Bose

Folks,

I installed a double din Kenwood 9990 and am now working on replacing the 3 way speakers in the doors and dash using hybrid audio legatia drivers. They sounded good but underpowered with the factory amp so we are now using an aftermarket amp with a cross over. My installer was able to find the wires out of the factory amp for the mid bass and mid range in the doors however there is no wire in that harness in the boot for the tweeters. As a result we want to run new wires from the crossover located in the boot area to the tweeters in the dash. Has anyone done this? Is there an easy way to fish wires from the tweeters through that aluminum panel which they drop into? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mit

Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor
technik1 is infamous around these parts
Tweeter wiring

On the 997 Bose, the tweeters are fed with the upper midrange and then "capped" (crossed over with in line resistor). That's why you can't find a separate tweeter wire. Hope this helps..

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM
technik,

Thanks so much for posting. I understand why there is no tweeter wire. My question could be rephrased as: "How do I run a separate wire from the factory tweeter location to the boot area of the car?". My installer advised that there is a solid metal bar that the tweeters kind of pop out of. We just want to know if anyone has run a clean wire to the factory tweeter location from the boot and how they did it.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor
technik1 is infamous around these parts
Tweeter wiring

If I remember, the tweeter wire splits at the kick panel. I would try unsnaking the OEM tweeter wire with your new one from kick panel to upper dash. Or, just run your new speaker wire and connect it at the kick panel. It's a short run to the dash so using the OEM wire is fine--unless you're spending $1k or so just on tweeters, then run a quality wire. .

Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Very useful info. Thanks Technik. Can I use the OEM wire as a pull wire from the OEM tweeter location down to the kick panel? Or does it get hung up somewhere? In other words when you say snake, do you mean use a fish wire from the tweeter location and trust you will eventually feel it in the kick panel area or can I use the OEM wire as the fish wire?