997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bilstein Damptronic-997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
SUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura aboutSUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura about
Bilstein Damptronic-997 Turbo

I am considering the Bilstein damptronic coilovers for my 2008 Turbo. I would like to hear opinions from owners who have had then for at least 6 months, both street and track experience.

Also, the best price that I've found is $2750 at Tire Rack. Anyone know of a better deal?

Thanks,
SZ

Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM
swole305 has a spectacular aura aboutswole305 has a spectacular aura aboutswole305 has a spectacular aura about
That's the same price I got from a few local places in Miami also...I Haven't found better than that ....

Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
I think they cost me about $4k installed, aligned closer to GT3 specs and dropped 10mm. This is the minimum drop you can do and I don't think people should go any lower than that. See below.

The ride is smoother, steering feels sharper and the rear feels more stable in corners. I also have GT3RS-spec wheel/tire combo -- 245/35-325/30/19, so the steering may be even crisper on tires with less sidewall.

No track time but I am sure it will do better than stock.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-13 at 11.53.05 PM.png
Views:	595
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	187468  
Attached Images  

Last edited by AlexM; 09-13-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: More pix :)
Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
That will probably be my next mod too, I noticed there are 2 refs of B16 Damptronic (at FVDs): "sport" and "confort", which one will you purchase?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Another vendor that I like is AWE Tuning http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/p...awe-pss10.html
AWE has great knowledge and a fantastic reputation for Bilstein support. If your local installer has any question, I am certain they could help too. AWE *knows* Bilstein, and I mean they *know* ;-). If you are close to Pennsylvania, they would be number one on my list for installation also. I don't get any commission - honest LOL.

K24F: The US has only one version; I've never quite figured out the European equivalent, I think it would be a good idea to email a vUS endor like AWE and ask for the model number of US version and see which European version matches this. Buying from a US vendor if the lower cost justifies is also an option; I am sure they ship internationally.

Last edited by cannga; 09-14-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I sold the car with 67K on it, not sure how many miles I put on it with the suspension, but it was significant. This was made up between the "basic" bilstein, and TPC Racing's setup.

If you plan on tracking the car it may be worth a trip to MD and visit TPC.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by AlexM
I think they cost me about $4k installed, aligned closer to GT3 specs and dropped 10mm. This is the minimum drop you can do and I don't think people should go any lower than that. See below.

The ride is smoother, steering feels sharper and the rear feels more stable in corners. I also have GT3RS-spec wheel/tire combo -- 245/35-325/30/19, so the steering may be even crisper on tires with less sidewall.

No track time but I am sure it will do better than stock.
Thanks for the info!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by K24F
That will probably be my next mod too, I noticed there are 2 refs of B16 Damptronic (at FVDs): "sport" and "confort", which one will you purchase?
Sport

Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cannga
K24F: The US has only one version; I've never quite figured out the European equivalent, I think it would be a good idea to email a vUS endor like AWE and ask for the model number of US version and see which European version matches this. Buying from a US vendor if the lower cost justifies is also an option; I am sure they ship internationally.
Interestingly enough, if you follow the part numbers, Bilstein Germany has 2 part numbers that fit the 997 turbo. Comfort and Clubsport. We only get the Clubsport over here. I nearly ordered the Comfort from Gert at Carnewal, but then realized that the part number is the same as the part for the 997 C4/C4S here in the US. Bilstein USA apparently feels that the PSS Damptronic Comfort in Europe is not appropriate for 997 turbos here in the US... Bilstein Germany happily sells them as Comfort. Dunno why.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
It's possibly the single best mod you can do for the car
Transforms it
You'll be thrilled

Old 09-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Well, I ordered the PSS10s and the H&R sways!

Also ordered an FVD stage 2 and headers!

Does anyone have recommended settings (height, camber, toe, sways) to achieve GT3-like handling?

The parts should be here next week! Can't wait!

I also picked up some spacers that I just installed over the weekend (7mm, 15mm).

-SZ

Old 09-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Just checking.....you do know that the PSS10's are not compatible with the PASM system as they are manually adjustable for rebound and compression, right? The Damptronic system is compatible and is a completely different unit than the PSS10.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=AWD

Also, do yourself a favor and install some Tarett drop links as well. The ones that come with the Bilstein's are prone to making annoying noises and ultimately fail.

What is contained in the FVD stage 2 kit? Best,

Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Just checking.....you do know that the PSS10's are not compatible with the PASM system as they are manually adjustable for rebound and compression, right? The Damptronic system is compatible and is a completely different unit than the PSS10.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=AWD

Also, do yourself a favor and install some Tarett drop links as well. The ones that come with the Bilstein's are prone to making annoying noises and ultimately fail.

What is contained in the FVD stage 2 kit? Best,
I ordered them from Tire Rack; they say this model is for cars with PASM,

Front and Rear fitment
Ride Height: Threaded Adjustment
Avg low 10-30mmF & 5-25mmR
Fully adjustable. **For models WITH PASM**

Price: $2,750.00 (kit)
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Manufacturer Part #: 49-135985 Qty:

I'll look into the drop links. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:07 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget dog bones, toe links....

Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Based upon the part number you provided, you should be fine as it describes the B16 Damptronic unit, not the B16 PSS10 unit which is part number 48-136013. It's amazing the amount of confusion these two products generate.

I'd also like to learn more about the FVD setup......thanks,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Damptronic-997 Turbo