997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Suspension upgrades

Hi all I've spent most of the day perusing the forum regarding suspension upgrades, read Cannga's great thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...red-turbo.html and I still have a few questions, specifically about which MFG I should go with.

Little background. I currently have Bilsteins and H&R sways but I'm looking for a more planted feel. I rarely drive the car, but most of the driving is on the street. I do plan on attending a few DE's in the future. As it's not driven often I do not mind any added rigitity, road noise, bounce etc.

Looking at RSS I was planning to upgrade the lower control arms, front/rear toe steer, and rear dogbones.

Input appreciated.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I would look at the GMG stuff...it is definitely top notch. All the parts in my car have held quite well...

Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 AM
ArSe77aL is infamous around these parts
Just wondering, would these be of any use since i don't see many tuners actually producing these parts for the 997:

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=4490

Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 AM
bumperpip is infamous around these parts
ArSe77al--997 doesn't need front strut bar-that stopped with,IIRC, the 996.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Give TPC Racing a call, they have some really nice parts and a new DSC unit that replaces the Stock PASM which works beautifully with the Damptronics. I you want, you can tell them that Bob with the Basalt Black turbo referred you as I have their full suspension package upgraded to an RSR spec and the DSC. I also added an LSD which has totally transformed the handling of the car.

I have no affiliation with them except that I am a customer. Good luck.

Cheers.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:07 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Tom,

Don't forget the tires - super important component of the suspension system. The tire's sidewall stiffness has to "match" the coilover stiffness. For example, if you have a soft tire with a stiff suspension, what will happen in a high speed turn is that all the force will be transmitted to tire and super-compress it, and car will still lean. The system is only as strong as the weakest link. (This is the reason why although it's doable, one shouldn't put R comp on the soft stock Turbo, or vice versa, Michelin PS2/PSS on a GT3.)

If this is a daily driver, then Michelin PS2/PSS is a good choice, but since it seems like you are taking it to the next step, then although I agree with things such as low control arm, IMHO you might want to consider R comp tires like Michelin Cup or Pirelli Trofeo/Corsa (I know, expensive and not good in the rain.). Bridgestone RE 11 supposedly also has stiffer sidewall than PS2 if you don't want to go all the way to R comps.

Besides the rear toe control arm and tire, I very highly recommend front and rear drop link like this http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm. Cheap to buy and install, easily reversible, adjustable at home, and will most definitely tighten up the extra rear movement and "mushiness" of our Turbo. "More planted" was my description when I first had them a few years ago.

Lastly although it costs more, and extra $200 alignment that's really not too bad, I always advocate modifying one component at a time ("one component one axle at a time"). It's very educational and if something is not to your liking, you know exactly where to reverse. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by cannga; 09-21-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cannga

Besides the rear toe control arm and tire, I very highly recommend front and rear drop link like this http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm. Cheap to buy and install, easily reversible, adjustable at home, and will most definitely tighten up the extra rear movement and "mushiness" of our Turbo. "More planted" was my description when I first had them a few years ago.
Hey Cannga,

Do your droplinks make "thumping" sounds when going over bumps at low speed? Ever since I've had mine installed (f/r Tarett droplinks with swaybars) I've had "thumping" sounds that aren't always reproducible when driving slow speeds over small bumps, entering my driveway, speed bumps, etc.

My installer said that the droplink design is metal to metal and that's what I'm hearing. I'm fine with that, just was worried something was breaking.

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:14 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Tom,

Don't forget the tires - super important component of the suspension system. The tire's sidewall stiffness has to "match" the coilover stiffness. For example, if you have a soft tire with a stiff suspension, what will happen in a high speed turn is that all the force will be transmitted to tire and super-compress it, and car will still lean. The system is only as strong as the weakest link. (This is the reason why although it's doable, one shouldn't put R comp on the soft stock Turbo, or vice versa, Michelin PS2/PSS on a GT3.)

If this is a daily driver, then Michelin PS2/PSS is a good choice, but since it seems like you are taking it to the next step, then although I agree with things such as low control arm, IMHO you might want to consider R comp tires like Michelin Cup or Pirelli Trofeo/Corsa (I know, expensive and not good in the rain.). Bridgestone RE 11 supposedly also has stiffer sidewall than PS2 if you don't want to go all the way to R comps.

Lastly although it costs more, and extra $200 alignment that's really not too bad, I always advocate modifying one component at a time ("one component one axle at a time"). It's very educational and if something is not to your liking, you know exactly where to reverse. Good luck and have fun.
Hey Can,

Wow those links are inexpensive! So as far as tires, with my current "street" set up on 20s I'm pretty much limited to PSS, I have the infamous 245/30 325/25 setup. However when I do get the courage to purchase track wheels and steel rotors I'll look into a sourcing a tire with increased lateral performance.

Interesting point on progressing through the mods, my intent was to replace all the components front to back. Keep you posted and again thanks for input.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I would look at the GMG stuff...it is definitely top notch. All the parts in my car have held quite well...

Thanks for the kind words.

Feel to shoot me a email or call if you need more info on a proper suspension set up,

Many Turbo owners have gone with our WC spring and sway bar package and are very happy with performance results equal to if not better than the PSS kits.

Happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Fabryce@gmgracing

Shop

714 432 1582

Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
pss10's, drop links, strut braces, sway bars and semi solid motor, gearbox mounts and an LSD will give you more performance than you will ever need.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amw
Hey Cannga,

Do your droplinks make "thumping" sounds when going over bumps at low speed? Ever since I've had mine installed (f/r Tarett droplinks with swaybars) I've had "thumping" sounds that aren't always reproducible when driving slow speeds over small bumps, entering my driveway, speed bumps, etc.

My installer said that the droplink design is metal to metal and that's what I'm hearing. I'm fine with that, just was worried something was breaking.

Thanks!
No I do not, but our suspensions are different (Bilstein and KW). I would just have the tuner put car up on a lift and check for sign of 2 things hitting each other (peeled paint, etc.), and to make sure everything is ok.