997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Choosing a TT - '09 or '10?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ryem3
I understand there was a front axle change in '09, but I heard that from a salesman, so I take it with a grain of salt.
To me it seems there is no salt involved
Several have stated there is no change still unable to convince you.
So here goes. PET file Porsche of front axle and front body. One part nr only for 997TT 07-09, same everything. As has been stated numerous times there is no difference between 07-09 beside PCM/electronics. Therefore, if you really want the Mezger engine I would not limit my search to '09 only. I used to do the same and thought of 07/08 as a no go. Couldn't find the '09 I really wanted so expanded my search and now I am lucky to have found an '08 in a dream spec. Love the car and would only sell if a perfect 'dream spec' '09 came along. But frankly doubt it as the PCM difference isn't worth it to me anyway, I find the PCM 2.1 a decent system. The only thing I do not like is the vulcan grey finish but I am going to change that over winter in satin black.

Attached Images   

Last edited by TT-911; 09-23-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:08 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thanks. So, based on that, the correct conclusion is that the front wheel drive system require a separate box to house the electronics that could otherwise have fit under the plastic in a rear wheel drive car. When they improved the PCM system, they found room for the electronics regardless of the drive system. The right explanation?
Anyway, I'm tempted by the benefit of the extra space and the PCM, but I would agree with you that an aerokit '08 or '07 in a nice color with deviated stitching or the like would overcome those the pluses of an '09.
I have no doubt the '10 is probably a better car. For me, wanting a 6 speed, an '07-09 will probably be a good choice.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JmanE55
I had an 09TT, it was nicely modified but I sold it and bought a 11TT w/PDK about 8 months ago. I enjoyed the PDK immensely the first few weeks but now I wish I would have kept my 09 6spd. The PDK is faster but it's missing the driver involvement and rowing through gears is deep in my veins.
EXACTLY what I think would happen to me!
Basically had the same feelings when I owned an SMG M3...

Old 09-23-2012, 04:20 PM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ryem3
a separate box
Just so I can understand, could you point out the 'seperate box' on the attached picture please. This is an '07 car and I see no 'box'.
I am beginning to believe you are talking about the optional CD changer.

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:57 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT_Crab
This 0-60 thing mentioned quiet a lot from a lot of people in different forums is so meaningless really. I wouldn't bother with that at all. A car that does 0-60 in 3,4" should not be considered as being a slower car! Because life does not stop at 60miles/h. What happens after that? A properly tuned '09 that spins its tires from standstill and does 0-60 in 3,2" or 3,4" can smash a PDK at no time after 60... So 0-60 is not a big deal for me... Also LED lights are everywhere. Nobody can even tell if it's an mk2 or mk1 anymore because A LOT of people that own an mk1 did the upgrade anyway! I wouldn't bother about led lights really nor any exhaust tips. There are plenty of AM or OEM solutions. If someone likes the manual '09 then THAT's the car to go for! The only serious reason i see for someone to want the mk2 is the automatic transmission. The PDK. Also the fact that the mk2 has less moving engine parts does not mean it's going to be more reliable than the mezger bullet proof engine... this is a fact really... May I remind you that in the GT2 RS that was released AFTER the release of the facelifted turbo they installed the "old" mezger engine. Because they knew people would track it and drive it hard and that an mk2 engine wouldn't really last that long. So this "less moving parts" theory is objective in every way...
^ all of this, right here, x2.

Love SMGII in my M3 (highly underrated, it was ahead of it's time). I think I used Launch Control on it a total of maybe 6 times, though. How often are you really going to be dropping the hammer from a stop in your PDK? Hopefully not that often. Most of your daily drive is spent in motion, so the advantages of dialing in instant shifts with a paddle are less important.

It's a tough call as there are pros and cons to both models, but you can't go wrong with either the .1 or the .2

Last edited by djben; 09-23-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
I have 2007 997TT, exhaust+ chip, rolling-roaded by 19C at 570hp and 550 torques.
It is manual. I love manuals, always had manual gearboxes in my cars.

When I drive in Swiss Alps, steep climbs with hairpins, I always think that at that point PDK would make sense. The reason is - I have stock clutch, it is long and not particularly fast (I feel it "grabbing" when I depress it (as quickly as I can) at high rpms), and the car loses too much speed while I am changing gears (I am just a regular driver, no track experience, no race experience), and in the mountains I clearly notice that Turbo is heavy and pretty much dead below 3000 rpms.

I think in mountains, with PDK's quick shifts (I mean manual shifts with the paddles, of course), the driving would be much more exciting.
On the flat road the 6spd is fantastic and the car hides its weight very well. Most of my driving is city (with incline starts from red lights, but I have never stalled the car yet). But the occasional spirited drive in the mountains always brings the thoughts of PDK...

Incidentally, could anyone tell me how much torque the stock clutch can handle? The whole clutch assembly (including flywheel) was changed just before I bought the car (the original clutch lasted 38k with tuning from day one, and new clutch has 8k on it, of which 6k are mine), it was expensive. I must admit I am not pushing the car to the limit in the mountains, as I am afraid to kill the clutch.

Last edited by Peskarik; 09-24-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by 993S
Just so I can understand, could you point out the 'seperate box' on the attached picture please. This is an '07 car and I see no 'box'.
I am beginning to believe you are talking about the optional CD changer.
Impossible to confirm from your pic, but that doesn't look like an '07 turbo. It could be an '07 C2 or C2S.
If you have the optional CD changer in an '07-08 turbo, you have TWO boxes! I feel like I'm arguing about the "box" topic, but I'm just curious about why it's there and find it interesting that when they revised the electronics in '09 they were able to remove it.

No question PDK is better on the track. I drove a 911S on the track and recently even the 991S. You just focus so much more on the apexes. On the street, it's just more fun to rev match downshifts on your own.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 AM
The picture is from my own (now sold) 997 turbo 2007( Nav is standard on the turbo). I am out of here, too much twilight zone moments going on. Over and out.

Last edited by TT-911; 09-25-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
You can't go wrong with either car; I have driven both and love both. A few notes though:

997.2: Not mentioned so far is the AWD revision of 2010/997.2 (in electronic programming: more rearward bias, less abrupt transition between 2wd and 4wd). 997.2 also has revised PASM (997.1 Sport setting is way too stiff, a design flaw that was corrected in 997.2). That said, assuming you are a "sporting man" LOL, you *will* need to replace with Bilstein or whatever for both 997.1 and 997.2, then this advantage of PASM gen 2 of 997.2 is canceled. Despite of all these "improvements" and the electronic aids such as torque vectoring, etc., the 997.2 Turbo is *still* a very soft car and boring car suspension wise, still with a lot of body roll in curves, etc.

AWD: Whoever that salesman that tells you about the AWD revision between 2008 and 2009, fire him. There *is* a revision between 2009 and 2010 in the AWD ECU to make 2010 more rearward biased as mentioned above, but none between 2008 and 2009, and AFAIK, the revision is in the software/ECU, not a physical change. Maybe that's what the salesman is confused about.

PDK: No question that it is faster and as mentioned by someone previously: no drop of boost between gear shift, making driving on canyon roads a fantastic experience. That said, if you are a "manual man" all your life, switching to PDK could be one of the costliest mistakes you ever make. Some love it, but for others the word "boring" has been used in the description more than once. No right or wrong, just personal preference; keep in mind my perspective as a long term owner of the Turbo: straightline acceleration is but one part of the driving experience and the novelty may not compensate for the fun of shifting, depending on who you are.

2009 Turbo: IMHO, 2009 is indeed the sweet spot of all 997 Turbo, it is the only Turbo ever with both of these: new PCM and Mezger engine. Congrats. This 2009 Turbo would be my top choce too, all things considered.

Last edited by cannga; 09-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
You can't go wrong with either car; I have driven both and love both. A few notes though:

997.2: Not mentioned so far is the AWD revision of 2010/997.2 (in electronic programming: more rearward bias, less abrupt transition between 2wd and 4wd). 997.2 also has revised PASM (997.1 Sport setting is way too stiff, a design flaw that was corrected in 997.2). That said, assuming you are a "sporting man" LOL, you *will* need to replace with Bilstein or whatever for both 997.1 and 997.2, then this advantage of PASM gen 2 of 997.2 is canceled. Despite of all these "improvements" and the electronic aids such as torque vectoring, etc., the 997.2 Turbo is *still* a very soft car and boring car suspension wise, still with a lot of body roll in curves, etc.

AWD: Whoever that salesman that tells you about the AWD revision between 2008 and 2009, fire him. There *is* a revision between 2009 and 2010 in the AWD ECU to make 2010 more rearward biased as mentioned above, but none between 2008 and 2009, and AFAIK, the revision is in the software/ECU, not a physical change. Maybe that's what the salesman is confused about.

PDK: No question that it is faster and as mentioned by someone previously: no drop of boost between gear shift, making driving on canyon roads a fantastic experience. That said, if you are a "manual man" all your life, switching to PDK could be one of the costliest mistakes you ever make. Some love it, but for others the word "boring" has been used in the description more than once. No right or wrong, just personal preference; keep in mind my perspective as a long term owner of the Turbo: straightline acceleration is but one part of the driving experience and the novelty may not compensate for the fun of shifting, depending on who you are.

2009 Turbo: IMHO, 2009 is indeed the sweet spot of all 997 Turbo, it is the only Turbo ever with both of these: new PCM and Mezger engine. Congrats. This 2009 Turbo would be my top choce too, all things considered.
Adding your quote here to thank you for the detailed and reasoned response. I'm sure the PDK would be nice, but the biggest thing I miss about my M3 is the quality of shifting I had in my 997S. I really look forward to getting that feeling back. If I were a regular track guy, I think I'd enjoy PDK more, but indeed, I think I would get tired of it.

I think I "convinced" the salesman that the '09 axle changed! (A salesman will agree with the customer on ANYTHING to make a sale). Crap, I don't know what the box is, I only know the elimination in '09 makes for a little more useable space in the 4wd 911. If it is electronics and related to the PCM change, it is also possible that ROW cars didn't have it and was a necessary addition for US only (to my Belgian friend 993S). I've seen pics of plenty of cars with CD changers - there are 2 boxes in the trunk.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
As I posted once before, here's a pic from the front end of a 2008 TT with navigation, no 6 CD changer...and it looks just like my 08 TT. The "box" has two contiguous parts with the one on the right side (driver's side) being the navigation - the top portion is the Nav DVD slot. The portion on the left I don't know other than it looks electronic. I've seen pictures of the 2009 TT front with no "boxes" - I assumed that most, if not all, 2009 TT's are configured with Nav and again just assumed that the Nav box and the other electronic box have been moved somewhere else. The second picture is from an 09 TT with Nav...as you can see, no boxes.

Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
As I posted once before, here's a pic from the front end of a 2008 TT with navigation, no 6 CD changer...and it looks just like my 08 TT. The "box" has two contiguous parts with the one on the right side (driver's side) being the navigation - the top portion is the Nav DVD slot. The portion on the left I don't know other than it looks electronic. I've seen pictures of the 2009 TT front with no "boxes" - I assumed that most, if not all, 2009 TT's are configured with Nav and again just assumed that the Nav box and the other electronic box have been moved somewhere else. The second picture is from an 09 TT with Nav...as you can see, no boxes.
Exactly. I suppose its possible that this is the nav unit on 4wd cars, so a turbo WITHOUT nav might not have the box. I can tell you that '07-08 cars WITH nav, but only 2WD do not have a box.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by technik1
I'm going to jump in here being in the business and an '09 turbo owner. The '09-on trunk is slightly more spacious as a result of the newer PCM3 NAV and revised BOSE system--not the front drivetrain. The NAV was reconfigured in the trunk, and the BOSE amplifier was enlarged and moved to the passenger seat.
There are no drivetrain changes 2007-09 that I'm aware of. Hope this helps..
This really answers it actually. It is only funny that the nav could fit in the upper part of the trunk area on a 2wd car, but needed to be relocated into the well on a 4wd car - for the '07-08 cars.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM
Frizz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
Je suis d`accord.

Still the turbo comes with Haldex 4th generation (5th is expected 2013 for VW).
It is quite simple to change/tune the software for your needs, if you wish.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
If money allows I would go with a 09+ manual transmission turbo.
Like some of the members above me, PDK compared to manual transmission is black and white to me.

A turbo is insanely fast with PDK or with manual. For me it's not really a question of sheer speed or 0-60. I enjoy the manual transmission for the enjoyment and involvement in the driving, even if it's a little slower.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Choosing a TT - '09 or '10?