997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Coolant hose/pipe break

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
Coolant hose/pipe break

My DE was ended short by massive amounts of coolant leaking from engine area. A mechanic there found the problem, there is coolant pipe under the intake manifold. If you look down behind alternator, that black hose has a break on the underside. Porsche dealer just called, $3200 to drop engine and replace pipe, WTF (not under warranty). The mechanic at the DE said he might be able to get to it from the top by removing intakes, alternator. (Car is at dealer or I would attach a picture)

Has anybody ever had this problem and fixed it themselves?

I'm pretty mechanical, replaced both front radiators, change my own exhaust etc. Is this something I should try myself. Dealer is ordering the parts, just need to decide if I want to try and fix it myself.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
Found this thread, some slightly the same

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lant-leak.html

Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear of your misfortune but this is a well documented problem.

The motor needs to come out and the new fittings welded in. Unless you are "very handy", as in a pro mechanic, this is not something for the DIY crowd. Anyone who has their motor out should make this "improvement."

These are the pieces I put in when I had my motor out.
http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-por-001.htm

It's the labor not the parts.......hope it doesn't ruin Christmas for you....Best

Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Been there as well during a DE 4hrs away from home. Local mechanic ended up welding my pipes but still had to trailer it home to get the job finished by my indie. Pretty dangerous as well- car behind me hit my puddle and flicked off the track- luckily they went into grass and nothing else!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Also, it could "just" be a hose/pipe that needs replacement. Sometimes that means the motor needs to come out, sometimes not. If the motor comes out, get the fittings improved even if that's not today's problem....best

Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 PM
If I get those fittings, would a dealer weld them or do I need to take to an independent mechanic? You guys definitely know my pain.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 PM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
Sorry to hear of your misfortune . How many miles on your car

Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
A good indy shop can do the welding or a dealer can. The other alternative is to have the pipes "pinned" in place instead of welding them. See the link in my signature for pictures of how this was done on my car.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Think I might have a similar problem, car is under warranty and goes to the dealer on tuesday, should I try to get them to weld the pipes?

Anything else one should get done when the engine is out?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Anything else one should get done when the engine is out?
I was going to ask the same thing. Any other known issues I should fix while it's dropped?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Generally speaking, if your motor needs to come out and depending upon how many miles the car has on it, how it's been driven, what level of power mods it has and how long you intend to keep it, you should inspect and replace where necessary anything that by itself would cause the motor to be pulled once again should said part(s) fail and/or stuff that needs regular PM anyway. I would include the clutch, plugs, coils, injectors and all connecting hoses in that mix.

I had my pipes welded by a welding shop but the motor was in pieces so transporting it was not a big deal. If your motor is not torn apart, it would have to be transported on a motor stand which most of us don't have. So, it's probably easiest to take it to a dealer or indy P-car repair shop and let them deal with it. They'll either be able to make the repair in-house or get a welder to come over or move the motor to the welder's shop as circumstances dictate. Best,

Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Gave go ahead to fix it at dealer, they are going to pin like Teflon's. They'll take a look at anything else that needs to fix while engine it dropped. I have 50k miles and plan on tracking it a few times each year. I think I need to get seats with a five point harness and a rollbar, I was told based on my speeds, a small mistake could be a big mistake.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
My motor is out right now and this is one of the things I plan to have my shop do!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Score!!! Just got back from shop to check out the pins, there were able to pin all of the fittings without having to drop the motor, they had to take everything off the top. But I'll have my ride back for the weekend and I got to save a few bucks. So in case it happens to someone, don't let them tell you they have to drop the motor to do it.

Let's see what I can break now

Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Nice, $$ saved for the next mod or failure!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant hose/pipe break