997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

ecu upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 PM
cp supreme is infamous around these parts
ecu upgrade

Is there a general consensus as to which is the better software?....

softronic vs. evo ??

Thanks for any replies.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Add Sportec to that list too.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Don't forget EPL either...

At the end of the day, opinions on tunes are like opinions on exhausts which are like a certain body part - Everybody has one and they all stink!

Seriously though, most of the major tuners these days offer similar power numbers and reliability, so there's not a lot of difference. Are you going to go with just the tune, the tune plus some standard mods, or standard plus other mods and a protune?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
My understanding was the Sportec also warranted the engine.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 AM
cp supreme is infamous around these parts
I was looking to do just a tune for right now.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:48 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cp supreme
I was looking to do just a tune for right now.
Me too! I'm so confused on this topic. Regardless of tune, I've heard from some that a tune alone won't give you any significant gains that you can feel unless you also do the exhaust. I, like you, just want to do a tune and get an extra 50 hp and trq, without getting CELs. I'm curious as to the repsonse from other members too.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
While an upgraded exhaust will certainly maximize performance gains, it isn't required. An upgraded exhaust does not necessarily mean a check engine light, as hardware and/or tuning can ensure that you have a free-flowing exhaust without a CEL. For those wishing for a simple and headache-free performance gain, I typically recommend a software flash with an upgraded intake and exhaust. This will allow you to free up the main performance restrictions while seeing good improvement for your dollar.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC
While an upgraded exhaust will certainly maximize performance gains, it isn't required. An upgraded exhaust does not necessarily mean a check engine light, as hardware and/or tuning can ensure that you have a free-flowing exhaust without a CEL. For those wishing for a simple and headache-free performance gain, I typically recommend a software flash with an upgraded intake and exhaust. This will allow you to free up the main performance restrictions while seeing good improvement for your dollar.
Thank you! I appreciate your recomendation but what about just a tune, no exhaust, no intake, everything else stock? What kind of hp and tq gains can you expect and is it safe for the engine without the other improvements you recommended? Sorry, don't mean to steal the thread from the OP.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MK23
Thank you! I appreciate your recomendation but what about just a tune, no exhaust, no intake, everything else stock? What kind of hp and tq gains can you expect and is it safe for the engine without the other improvements you recommended? Sorry, don't mean to steal the thread from the OP.

Thanks
It is certainly safe for the engine to run just a tune. You will simply be able to further enhance gains with supporting mods, but they are by no means required.

As an example, here is a dyno of our software on a DFI turbo. This was on 91 octane gas with no changes except for the software.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:12 AM
za3879 has a spectacular aura aboutza3879 has a spectacular aura about
I too am in the same thought process. I only want to do a tune (for now) and accomplish some gains. Whats the most commonly used / purchased tune?
I'm assuming it doesnt throw codes or any CELs

Old 09-29-2012, 02:50 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
It is certainly safe for the engine to run just a tune. You will simply be able to further enhance gains with supporting mods, but they are by no means required.
EGTs?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future

As an example, here is a dyno of our software on a DFI turbo. This was on 91 octane gas with no changes except for the software.

I have heard the after market air filters are known to get soaked if the car is left out in rain, is that correct? What do you guys recommend for the air filters?

Any dyno graph of your tune/exhaust (optional air intake) on a 997.1 TT ? Would gains be higher than with just the tune and how much?

Champion also offers an engine warranty if the tune is bought thru them, do you all offer the same?

Thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Keep the stock airbox as it's a great design and is good for 1,00 HP. Go with paper filters in those (but keep the foam in front of them). Unlike what is claimed in the market place, the stock is a great design and functional.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WaltB
My understanding was the Sportec also warranted the engine.
Must be third party warranty for which you will pay.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by quick
I have heard the after market air filters are known to get soaked if the car is left out in rain, is that correct? What do you guys recommend for the air filters?

Any dyno graph of your tune/exhaust (optional air intake) on a 997.1 TT ? Would gains be higher than with just the tune and how much?

Champion also offers an engine warranty if the tune is bought thru them, do you all offer the same?

Thanks

If you are upgrading hardware, I would focus on the exhaust. While the factory exhaust is fairly restrictive, like others have said the intake is by no means a poor design. Champion sells GIAC software, so their warranty offered is our software.

Here is a dyno of a 997.1 with an AWE exhaust and GIAC software (93 octane). The intake on this vehicle is the factory setup. The numbers of the runs are reversed from the description, so run #3 is baseline, #2 is exhaust and #1 is exhaust and software.