997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cost of New engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Cost of New engine?

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you know how much a new engine costs? I'm weighing this with the cost of rebuilding the one I have. I had no idea it cost so much to rebuild these motors. I'm going to be sick I think.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
What's wrong with your motor, what needs rebuilding? How much are they asking to rebuild?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TTdude
What's wrong with your motor, what needs rebuilding? How much are they asking to rebuild?
Funny, I was just reading up on a bunch of your posts in a different build thread!

Anyway, bearing blew up on a connecting rod. Bent it too. Metal everywhere. Can't trust anything inside the motor now.

I completely trust my shop but just wonder if I should just buy a stock motor and sell the car before I end up getting a divorce. I could probably even sell off the old motor to get some money back.

I saw one on eBay just now with 18k miles for $26k.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 PM
TT_Crab has a spectacular aura aboutTT_Crab has a spectacular aura about
The cost of a new M97/70 engine should be about 50k-60k $. IMHO a rebuild is chosen ONLY if you intent to reinforce the engine for future modifications.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 AM
I have all of the bolt-on mods + tune for a 700 crank hp car. Motor threw the connecting rod bearing shortly after. Not sure why. I was told the bearing was competely gone. Nowhere to be found. Just all ground up in the engine. A 2nd one cracked in half.

Anyway, I have an estimate which seems reasonable but I'm just looking at whether or not I should keep the car considering these new costs. The estimate is for a GT3 crank, new Carillo rods, oil pump, 3.8L conversion, etc. to get the car way stronger than stock. From what I've seen doing a little research, a used motor is about the same cost as rebuilding this one. So...either way I'm dropping a bunch of cash and still ending up in the same hp range as I wanted to begin with...about 700 crank.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about your motor. Is your motor apart and the heads, valves, case, all look good? I guess the question is that you've made an assessment and it is rebuildable? If you can rebuild it, I would do that with reinforced parts if you plan on keeping the car for the long haul. Otherwise I'd probably just replace the motor and sell it. $26K for a working motor is a good price. The case alone costs $15K.

Last edited by TTdude; 10-10-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 AM
TT_Crab has a spectacular aura aboutTT_Crab has a spectacular aura about
May I ask who did the software programming for your mods? 700 crank hp with bolt-ons is safe for those engines... Did he disable the knock sensor?
Anyway, if you intent to install a stroker kit along with reinforced connecting rods just rebuild your existing motor...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you know how much a new engine costs? I'm weighing this with the cost of rebuilding the one I have. I had no idea it cost so much to rebuild these motors. I'm going to be sick I think.
Sorry to hear that. I recall from another thread (where a guy's engine was drowned by an oil overfill) that the new engine from Porsche cost about 35k, but that would be with new turbos and i/cs too. Not sure if they would sell it without those parts.

What were you quoted for rebuild? I know that a "basic" rebuild is about 10-12gs for parts and labour but if yours had damage then probably needs more than just that.

Don't get divorced over a car! I can't imagine any wife would be happy about having to spend this colour of money but it's life in the big leagues.

Any idea why this happened?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear your news. The emotional and financial shock of having to deal with this type of unanticipated occurrence is very real. Try to compartmentalize the car disaster so it doesn't adversely affect relationships, personal health, career performance and so on. That's easier said than done but at the end of the day, "it's still only a car". Speaking from personal experience, it's pretty easy to let an event of this nature become all-consuming which, really, will not do anything to help get the problems resolved.

With respect to the rebuild vs. replace conundrum, I would rebuild if you plan to keep this vehicle for the long-term and you're willing to live with both the positive and negative aspects of owning a highly modified performance car. It will be a "special" car when all is said and done if you go this route.

I would consider replacement if you want to return it to more or less stock configuration, use it for transportation and trade it in at some point. I would not, however, buy any replacement motor that was not either Porsche factory new or Porsche certified reconditioned. There's no point putting someone else's piece of eBay junk into your car and calling it good. I would just call a Porsche dealer or Porsche North America Corporate to find out what the options are and specific costs. Hang in there.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Very sorry to hear about this. If you must have a 700 hp car in the future, I would vote to re-build. The good thing about this is that then this catastrophic event is really not a negative - it's necessary for what you want, high horsepower car. (If you've just about had it with high hp mod, then of course what you are considering here is a better solution.)

If I may raise the possibility about the company that put in the tune. I am not entirely clear on the explanation of why this engine blew up. If it's something you did, then I have nothing to add. But if the tune was put in, then the engine blew up soon after, then shouldn't the tuner be partially liable, and maybe should rebuild the engine for you at a heavy discount? (In other words, I do not know enough but would like to ask the experts here: How do we know it's not the tune that caused the damage? What if you rebuild and engine blows up again?) Have you raised this possibility of sharing cost with the tuner?

Last edited by cannga; 10-10-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Sorry to hear your news. The emotional and financial shock of having to deal with this type of unanticipated occurrence is very real. Try to compartmentalize the car disaster so it doesn't adversely affect relationships, personal health, career performance and so on. That's easier said than done but at the end of the day, "it's still only a car". Speaking from personal experience, it's pretty easy to let an event of this nature become all-consuming which, really, will not do anything to help get the problems resolved.

With respect to the rebuild vs. replace conundrum, I would rebuild if you plan to keep this vehicle for the long-term and you're willing to live with both the positive and negative aspects of owning a highly modified performance car. It will be a "special" car when all is said and done if you go this route.

I would consider replacement if you want to return it to more or less stock configuration, use it for transportation and trade it in at some point. I would not, however, buy any replacement motor that was not either Porsche factory new or Porsche certified reconditioned. There's no point putting someone else's piece of eBay junk into your car and calling it good. I would just call a Porsche dealer or Porsche North America Corporate to find out what the options are and specific costs. Hang in there.

You know you truly have a automotive mental disorder when you are having a very expensive bill looming before you and your question to the mechanic is 'should we find out what else is needed to get to the EVT775 package?'

Thanks for your kind words...

Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Replace if you're going sell. Rebuilt if you're keeping it. Just keep in that the amount of $$ you are going put in the rebuilt you will never get back. Regardless, you need to figure out what the cause of the failure and prevent it from happening again.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Replace if you're going sell. Rebuilt if you're keeping it. Just keep in that the amount of $$ you are going put in the rebuilt you will never get back. Regardless, you need to figure out what the cause of the failure and prevent it from happening again.

If WDS didn't reduce our fees I wouldn't be caring about this as much

Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Not sure if some one has asked this question before or not but

" Why did your motor blew up when there are plenty of 650-700 HP motors out there with out any issues...Could it be tune related"

Not trying to be diffuclt ere but would like to know why so that we can avoid the similar mistake.

Hope you get ur car back soo.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
If WDS didn't reduce our fees I wouldn't be caring about this as much

Sad but true!!
Too bad I just sold all my GT3R crank and rods goodies. You could have saved a tons.

Last edited by vincentdds; 10-10-2012 at 06:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cost of New engine?