997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TQ limits of 997.2 Turbo PDK ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 AM
JAWS Motorsport is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up TQ limits of 997.2 Turbo PDK ?

Anyone tryed the 2010+ Turbo PDK gearbox limits?

We have a customer who want more power, he has today around 600-610hp and 800nm on his 997.2 Turbo -10.

We are discussing upgrading turbos, manifolds and intercoolers but we have no personal experience about this gearbox and what it can handle.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Champion has. Contact them.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
TT_Crab has a spectacular aura aboutTT_Crab has a spectacular aura about
It's not the gearbox only, it's the engine internals as well... Stock gearbox can go up to 820Nm maximum... but you should worry about engine internals as well...

Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by TT_Crab
It's not the gearbox only, it's the engine internals as well... Stock gearbox can go up to 820Nm maximum... but you should worry about engine internals as well...
So you say the 997.2 is weaker? is this something u can explain further?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Believe me if 9A1 engine was THAT strong then 997 GT2 RS would have THAT engine...! That's why people that feel they will need much more power in the future they go for 997.1 turbo...
Have a look at the drag racers around the world. Have you seen a 997.2 turbo with more power than 620 hp crank???? Even if someone claims he's got more power than that then he SHOULD provide a 1/4 mile time along with his exit speed to see this in practice...
But that's my personal opinion of course...
Ruf for example stops at 620 crank in 997.2 turbo and if you want more power then they use the mezger engine block... I am pretty sure they know what they're doing...

Last edited by TT_Crab; 10-15-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Believe me if 9A1 engine was THAT strong then 997 GT2 RS would have THAT engine...! That's why people that feel they will need much more power in the future they go for 997.1 turbo...
Have a look at the drag racers around the world. Have you seen a 997.2 turbo with more power than 620 hp crank???? Even if someone claims he's got more power than that then he SHOULD provide a 1/4 mile time along with his exit speed to see this in practice...
But that's my personal opinion of course...
Ruf for example stops at 620 crank in 997.2 turbo and if you want more power then they use the mezger engine block... I am pretty sure they know what they're doing...
Well thats good to hear, i belive the PDK is weaker than the tiptronic and what i understand there isnt many manual 997.2 around so is it really tested?, would be interesting to see a 997.1 vs 997.2 block for comparison, also crank,rods and pistons.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
There is no comparison.. You change rods and the .1 block goes to 1000 hp. It is race spec engine. The new one is simpler, a lor cheaper and customer spec. Around 620-650 things start breaking apparently. It's not just a matter of rods apparently but also the block. Not to mention cooling etc

Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by GT-TT
There is no comparison.. You change rods and the .1 block goes to 1000 hp. It is race spec engine. The new one is simpler, a lor cheaper and customer spec. Around 620-650 things start breaking apparently. It's not just a matter of rods apparently but also the block. Not to mention cooling etc
"Apparently" ? I well might be so but i want to see it, so if anyone have pics put them out.

Anyway its really a pitty since the PDK is very nice..guess we are building on a .1 for this customer, better safe than sorry

Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
RS blew one last year. And they have tuned 100s of turbos so its not like they dont know what they are doing. I think at around 800nm the issues start, and its structural, not just one component. I think we need to see some serious racing series by porsche further developing the 9A1 in the near future before we can think for 7xx hp for that engine.
Bad news is that the 991 turbo will probably have again around 530hp with tri turbo setup.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by GT-TT
RS blew one last year. And they have tuned 100s of turbos so its not like they dont know what they are doing. I think at around 800nm the issues start, and its structural, not just one component. I think we need to see some serious racing series by porsche further developing the 9A1 in the near future before we can think for 7xx hp for that engine.
Bad news is that the 991 turbo will probably have again around 530hp with tri turbo setup.
Well if u compare how many 997.1 that have blown in the past vs the 997.2 ? i still belive the biggest issue is clearly the PDK.

I am digging deeper bcs thats the way we work, i do listen to "sayings" on internet but i ignore them untill someone i know with true knowledge confirms it, wouldnt look good if we took our decisions on internet forums.. i just made contact with a former technichan from Porsche Motorsport, if possible i will get some more information, but im not sure he has it.

Anyway 997.1 or 997.2 doesnt mather for my client, its just that WE want to know why things doesnt work..if they dont.

P.s I am greatful for what u guys say otherwise there wouldnt be any solutions!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Sorry, but this is not right. 9A1 engine block is being arround for 2-3 years only and apart from that noone has ever tried to tune the mk2 car heavily. There are 997.1 turbos here producing 900-1000hp crank with stock internals... You wouldn't even think about those numbers in an mk2 turbo... Extensive tuning means more risk, no tuning or mild tuning means no or low risk and this is what saves the mk2 so far...
So it's not the tranny really, because there are manual 997.2 turbo cars that do not produce more power than PDK ones... If it was only the tranny then manual cars would easily be modified and maintain their reliability at the same time which apparently this is not really the case...

Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Sorry, but this is not right. 9A1 engine block is being arround for 2-3 years only and apart from that noone has ever tried to tune the mk2 car heavily. There are 997.1 turbos here producing 900-1000hp crank with stock internals... You wouldn't even think about those numbers in an mk2 turbo... Extensive tuning means more risk, no tuning or mild tuning means no or low risk and this is what saves the mk2 so far...
So it's not the tranny really, because there are manual 997.2 turbo cars that do not produce more power than PDK ones... If it was only the tranny then manual cars would easily be modified and maintain their reliability at the same time which apparently this is not really the case...
How many manual 997.2 have been true tested at a reliable source and tuner with experience? i dont know my self this is why im asking..Champion Motorsport didnt have any good answers just bcs they havent had the chance to test it bcs the gearbox start slip before the tires does.

So i still belive its a gearbox issue, until a experienced company or tuner say they really tested and can provide FACTS.

Where are all 997.2 threads with engine failures due to tuning? Im just interested to know, im not trying to be a smart a*s..i really want to know.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 AM
TwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud of
Jaws,

I advise you stick with bmws.
997.2 is not as cheap as a E46 m3.
You can source a E46 M3 engine for 4000 USD on ebay. A 997.2 tt engine 40.000 usd or more?

You need to have lots of experience with the p car.
I recommend that you keep on working BMW M3s, specialize in M3s and be famous with M3s. A tuner should stick to 1 brand only, not multiple brands.

It is clear that focussing on 1 brand will make you strong, allow you to build perfect kits.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 AM
strato58 is infamous around these parts
I say go for it...maybe youll be the first one to start a thread 997.2 will hold up at 800 hp....or maybe it will be the other way around. Ya feelin lucky?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by strato58
I say go for it...maybe youll be the first one to start a thread 997.2 will hold up at 800 hp....or maybe it will be the other way around. Ya feelin lucky?
Thats what Clint Eastwood would have asked...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TQ limits of 997.2 Turbo PDK ?