997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What Cars Cannot Be Test Driven?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Unless you can find a used one to drive, you might as well cross the GT-R off your list, because any GT-R dealer that's worth a crap will not allow test drives of brand-new GT-Rs (thankfully).
This is really bad business, imho, and really bad dealer.
Dealers should always have one car for test drives. Maybe you test drive with the dealer representative, so that they control your right foot, especially on cold engines. These cars can then be sold as used test cars, and if dealer knows how it was driven during the tests I would think they would not have problem taking care of it later.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 AM
As you stated, "spending that kind of money", we owners don't want cars that have been test driven by a bunch of people either. I can tell you that when I'm looking to buy a new GT-R (which has a strict break-in period by the way), I won't buy one that has been test driven. This applied to my '12, my '13, and will also apply to the '14 that I currently have on order.
out of curiosity, why do you flip them so often? Same car every year three years in a row...

Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 AM
xraydoc is infamous around these parts
I get good deals when I buy them and don't have to pay sales tax (all of my cars are titled legally in a tax free state). I honestly don't lose much at all, bro.
More curiosity - do you have to have the out of state plates or are you just lucky enough to live in a tax free state.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xraydoc
More curiosity - do you have to have the out of state plates or are you just lucky enough to live in a tax free state.
Doc - I own a company in a tax free state and title and register all of my cars in my business name. I don't live in a tax free state, but my cars all have out of state plates on them. 100% legal.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Peskarik
out of curiosity, why do you flip them so often? Same car every year three years in a row...
I like the new models.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 AM
This is really bad business, imho, and really bad dealer.
Dealers should always have one car for test drives. Maybe you test drive with the dealer representative, so that they control your right foot, especially on cold engines. These cars can then be sold as used test cars, and if dealer knows how it was driven during the tests I would think they would not have problem taking care of it later.
All GT-R dealers have been doing this since the car was released in '09 and have no intention of changing their policies. It doesn't hurt sales of GT-Rs, so there is really no negative to it other than it annoys some people on the forums. People who really want the cars will continue to buy them, even without an initial test drive.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 11-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 AM
I like the new models.
no more questions

Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
higb987 is infamous around these parts
I flew to vegas and did this: http://www.exoticsracing.com/ It helped quite a bit. (and was totally kick-***!)

Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
lol! If you follow NAGTROC, you'll see that every year, the car gets better, better, and better again...

The 2014 brings all of major improvements from the new '12 chassis (DBA), along with the slight HP bump of the '13, but now includes improved turbo setup, more mid-range response, stiffer chassis, lower center of gravity through suspension adjustments, different parts all over, larger injectors, etc...

It's very hard to NOT upgrade every year. Major facelift tentatively scheduled for 2015.

Some of us are waiting to see the improvements from the 24hr race (NISMO edition, etc...).

All GT-R dealers have been doing this since the car was released in '09 and have no intention of changing their policies. It doesn't hurt sales of GT-Rs, so there is really no negative to it other than it annoys some people on the forums. People who really want the cars will continue to buy them, even without an initial test drive.
+1. Nissan corporate policy. The GT-R buying experience is a unique one, for sure. Fitting, as it is a unique car.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

The GT-R buying experience is a unique one, for sure. Fitting, as it is a unique car.
having had a few bespoke suits, how exactly does one do that with a car that is what it is? I can change so many things on my suit but very little on a GT-R.

As to buying one every year I would just wait till they get it right and buy that version

Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
C4TT is infamous around these parts
Mine!!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Jmb94920 is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, sorry for not coming back. I had some business plans come up and wasn't able to continue my search. But now that I am back I am back to finding a new car 3rd car. The good part is my budget has expanded since then, I think I might look into the $150,000-$175,000 range (R8 GT, Turbo S, Lambo..etc) Although I wouldn't staying in my $100,000-$125,000 range in order to upgrade my 535xi, to a 550xi.

I guess the search shall begin!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
having had a few bespoke suits, how exactly does one do that with a car that is what it is? I can change so many things on my suit but very little on a GT-R.

As to buying one every year I would just wait till they get it right and buy that version
The point is there is always room for improvement and Nissan strives to push the envelope every year instead of waiting for a face lift. With that in mind, there will never be a so-called "perfect" version. The 2013 is darn near perfect and killing much more expensive machines on the ring but they still managed to improve the 2014 model. There's simply no end to this. The longer you wait, the more you'll miss out on this fantastic piece of machine.

If it weren't for my wife, I would be driving a blue Black Edition as of last Saturday.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
I was 26 when i went to ferrari of washington to test drive their f430...

But i was in my 06 gallardo.. ;-)

Age doesnt matter, you just gotta present yourself better verbally and physically..(not saying OP didnt, just the stealership salesmen's eye)

Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K-E-V
The point is there is always room for improvement and Nissan strives to push the envelope every year instead of waiting for a face lift. With that in mind, there will never be a so-called "perfect" version. The 2013 is darn near perfect and killing much more expensive machines on the ring but they still managed to improve the 2014 model. There's simply no end to this. The longer you wait, the more you'll miss out on this fantastic piece of machine.

If it weren't for my wife, I would be driving a blue Black Edition as of last Saturday.
^This.

The car will never be 'finished'. There is no end product, it had an intial goal - that was it, done. From there, it just gets better and better. It will eventually just stop, and then the next one comes out.

When? We don't exactly know when - this is event driven (or so we are told).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Cars Cannot Be Test Driven?