997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

08 vs 09 997.1TT - is it worth it for the PCM 3.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 PM
xraydoc is infamous around these parts
08 vs 09 997.1TT - is it worth it for the PCM 3.0

I am in the market for a 08 or 09 997TT.
There is about a $10k spread between the model years.

Trying to figure out if there are major advantages to the PCM 3.0 in the 09 or if an 08 with some aftermarket equipment do just about the same thing.

This will be a daily driver for me and unfortunately I need good Bluetooth connectivity to be able to take calls while on the move- one of my favorite features of my current DD a E60 BMW M5 is that when a call comes in I can see who it is on the dash and then just tap the big **** in the console to take the call hands free. I just want to make sure I have similar capability in the 997tt.

Wanted to see if someone with experience with the PCM2 vs 3 and using a phone over bluetooth could chime in.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
For 2-3k you can have a much nicer system with a less annoying NAV. Or you can go with an 09 that has upgrades that no one can really feel but swear they can.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 AM
xraydoc is infamous around these parts
This won't be long trip car for me so not concerned with the nav capabilities. Really interested in the bluetooth connectivity but having trouble finding out much information from google searches ect about the differences between the newer pcm 3 and the pcm 2.

Also trying to figure out on the 09's if it has to have the bluetooth option already installed or if that can be added.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 AM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
$10k is pretty expensive if you're just considering the bluetooth.. for about $500 you can install an aftermarket bluetooth unit like Dension on the existing PCM..

Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
rdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by xraydoc
I am in the market for a 08 or 09 997TT.
There is about a $10k spread between the model years.

Trying to figure out if there are major advantages to the PCM 3.0 in the 09 or if an 08 with some aftermarket equipment do just about the same thing.

This will be a daily driver for me and unfortunately I need good Bluetooth connectivity to be able to take calls while on the move- one of my favorite features of my current DD a E60 BMW M5 is that when a call comes in I can see who it is on the dash and then just tap the big **** in the console to take the call hands free. I just want to make sure I have similar capability in the 997tt.

Wanted to see if someone with experience with the PCM2 vs 3 and using a phone over bluetooth could chime in.

Hey - I can't comment on the '08, but funny - I upgraded from my DD E60M5 to the 09 997tt - was laughing reading your post. I love the upgrade and its my new DD. The bluetooth is working very well and I take/make calls all the time and really enjoy using the the control arm via the secondary display in the dash.

Enjoy! (I was very happy to lose the weight from the M5 and I love my new DD!)

Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
For me, it comes down to aesthetics. I find the 09+ interiors more pleasing to the eye.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I had an 09 C2S before I got my 07 Turbo. Coming from an E92 M3, PCM 3.0 sucks badly, and PCM 2.0 felt like holding a stone tablet up on my dash, trying to engrave routes into it with a chisel and hammer.

Neither are great navi systems. I agree with VID997 that the 09+ interior bits are more attractive, but in my car, I like the contrast of the dark silver and light silver. Definitely the HVAC controls are an improvement.

To me, the exterior changes, as minor as they are more meaningful. However are they worth $10k? Especially compared with a set of $500 LED taillights, and a $1000 nav system?

I think that resale on the 09 is going to be better, but the further we get from PCM 3.0 being current... I suspect the 09 is going to have farther to fall from a percentage point of view, too. (some pics of my 07 attached)

Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Slightly off topic but has anyone fitted the 09+ centre/pcm3 to an older car?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 PM
AreaOne has a spectacular aura aboutAreaOne has a spectacular aura about
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kitw
I had an 09 C2S before I got my 07 Turbo. Coming from an E92 M3, PCM 3.0 sucks badly, and PCM 2.0 felt like holding a stone tablet up on my dash, trying to engrave routes into it with a chisel and hammer.

Neither are great navi systems. I agree with VID997 that the 09+ interior bits are more attractive, but in my car, I like the contrast of the dark silver and light silver. Definitely the HVAC controls are an improvement.

To me, the exterior changes, as minor as they are more meaningful. However are they worth $10k? Especially compared with a set of $500 LED taillights, and a $1000 nav system?

I think that resale on the 09 is going to be better, but the further we get from PCM 3.0 being current... I suspect the 09 is going to have farther to fall from a percentage point of view, too. (some pics of my 07 attached)
I'm in the same spot! Have an e92 m3. I convinced myself that the 09s have the minimum of tech in them. I was also hoping the stereo was somehow improved. In the same search, I am now seriously considering a GTR. All of the performance, resale at least as good, more versatile, and even a bit cheaper. I've driven several turbos though and really like them-always have. Also, there may be some benefit in having a car that doesn't appear as ostentatious as a tt. I may very well wait until winter is over our until the right deal comes along.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I hate touch screens
You always have to take your eyes off the road longer than hitting a button

Just my preference

Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ryem3
I'm in the same spot! Have an e92 m3. I convinced myself that the 09s have the minimum of tech in them. I was also hoping the stereo was somehow improved. In the same search, I am now seriously considering a GTR. All of the performance, resale at least as good, more versatile, and even a bit cheaper. I've driven several turbos though and really like them-always have. Also, there may be some benefit in having a car that doesn't appear as ostentatious as a tt. I may very well wait until winter is over our until the right deal comes along.
Heh, I thought about a GT-R.

My TT excites me. The GT-R is very clinical feeling, I feel like I'm way too much of a passenger in it. It's probably faster in that it's easier to drive, and you can make silly power with it, but the maintenance, by the book at least, is way more expensive and tedious. It's nowhere near as sexy to me, either. Plus, I'm long of Torso and simply don't fit in it.

PCM 3.0 is ok, and functional, and the Bose system works, but there is definitely room for improvement. I think the GT-R's higher level of ambient road noise means that the stereo has to work harder... lots of room for improvement for it and less opportunity to upgrade.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by raclaims
I hate touch screens
You always have to take your eyes off the road longer than hitting a button

Just my preference
VS PCM 2.1, it's WAY less distracting and it actually can find its way around, though PCM 3.0 does give you the option of using the **** vs touchscreen, but neither work that well.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kitw
Heh, I thought about a GT-R.

My TT excites me. The GT-R is very clinical feeling, I feel like I'm way too much of a passenger in it. , an It's probably faster in that it's easier to drived you can make silly power with it, but the maintenance, by the book at least, is way more expensive and tedious. It's nowhere near as sexy to me, either. Plus, I'm long of Torso and simply don't fit in it.
My time spent behind a heavily modified 2012 GT-R at Laguna, AMBit timing and scoring:

Time spent behind a GTR:
L22 1:41.769 (within my sights and working through traffic)
L23 1:43.293 (getting closer and hoping he sees me)
L24 1:47.409 (caught him and all over him his rear end)
L25 1:43.887 (pushing him hard while he continued to block pass me)
L26 1:43.588 (yet another lap he spent block passing me and almost going off track on several turns)
L27 1:45.783 (finally realizing he is completely f'ing me over)
L28* 1:40.019 ( ah, finally got around him)

* indicates my fastest lap during my qualifying session.

GT-R's are not faster....they just make their drivers think they are the fastest on track period, because they are playing a video game and not living in reality.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
My time spent behind a heavily modified 2012 GT-R at Laguna, AMBit timing and scoring:

Time spent behind a GTR:
L22 1:41.769 (within my sights and working through traffic)
L23 1:43.293 (getting closer and hoping he sees me)
L24 1:47.409 (caught him and all over him his rear end)
L25 1:43.887 (pushing him hard while he continued to block pass me)
L26 1:43.588 (yet another lap he spent block passing me and almost going off track on several turns)
L27 1:45.783 (finally realizing he is completely f'ing me over)
L28* 1:40.019 ( ah, finally got around him)

* indicates my fastest lap during my qualifying session.

GT-R's are not faster....they just make their drivers think they are the fastest on track period, because they are playing a video game and not living in reality.
Considering I've done faster than low 1:40s in a much slower car, I'm pretty sure you're mistaking a CAR being faster for a DRIVER being faster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08 vs 09 997.1TT - is it worth it for the PCM 3.0