997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Softronic 91 tune with stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Softronic 91 tune with stock exhaust

Hi all

Did a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for (btw the search function seems to hit threads that have any of individual words in the search field but doesn't seem to focus on finding threads that have ALL the search words)

I'm seriously considering the Softronic 91 tune (CA gas unfortunately) and I've been in contact with Dan at vivid, he's been very helpful in answering questions.

I'd like to hear feedback from folks who've installed this tune with the stock exhaust. I may do an exhaust down the road but I want to hear the experience of folks who have this setup in terms of power and performance improvements as well as any challenges, errors or disappointments. Do you see a meaningful difference below 3000K rpm with the tune and stock exhaust? and does it pull all harder all the way to redline?

also, seems like the stock plugs won't last long even if recently replaced with a tune, true?

thanks in advance
Art

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Here are some from 6speeders. However dont know if they will see your thread so pasting here.

by Dave Date Added: Friday 01 July, 2011
What this tune does you the 997TT is amazing. It not only adds significant power, but also smooths the lower end of the throttle range. The car is much more drivable with a very big surprise when you floor it. This is really what the car should have been from the factory ! My story is a little convoluted as I had first installed the tune, then added the FabSpeed performance package later. A long story but the shop that did the exhaust damaged a 02 sensor, triggered a CEL, then replaced it with non-OEM sensor. Several O2 sensors later a OEM was installed and the CEL was gone. Make sure you always use the OEM O2 sensors. Before the FS system the car had been transformed. I was not expecting the exhaust upgrade to add what it did. This car is a rocket that seems somehow tame and docile. During the O2 sensor debug I restore the factory tune for a week. It is easy to switch and amazing to see the change with 5min of flashing. Many thanks to Dan for the great service and price. T..

Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]
by Richard French Date Added: Wednesday 02 March, 2011
Loaded the software in less than 5 mins and took the car out to see how it would perform. Went to the nearest highway, accelerated up the on-ramp and quick moved over a few lanes - with so much torque, responsiveness of the throttle and elimination of most of the turbo lag, I was pushed quickly into the back of the seat and reached 120mph without even realizing it. So much smoother!

by David Date Added: Friday 25 February, 2011
I just wanted to chime in for those of you that don't have the oportunity to see Vivid's operation in person. I anticipated a shop that was basically a reseller with minimal install/build work going on. I was surprised to see the extend of actual hands on install and development that is occurring at this shop. Although the parts resell operation is huge, I believe they had six lifts and quite a few cars undergoing significant transformations. Everyone I spoke with was extremely polite and professional and treated my car with care. Dan listened to me regarding my goals for the car and didn't attempt to sell me anything that wouldn't benefit me, actually, he explained why quite a few things wouldn't be worth buying, considering my uses. The head mechanic, Jeff, was very knowledgeable of Porsches, to the point I will be bringing my car to Vivid versus getting work done at the Tucson dealer for any major service I need to do. To be honest, I haven't driven any other modded 997'..

by Dennis Date Added: Wednesday 23 February, 2011
If you have a 997 Turbo, get this tune. The difference is amazing, the acceleration pushes you flat into your seat! No issues whatsoever in regular driving, the car even seems to run smoother. Purchase and installation smooth and easy, cable sent right away, read took 15 min, uploaded file, received tuned file next day. Actual flash took 2 minutes and car was up and running. Real happy

by Willie T Date Added: Friday 18 February, 2011
I just uploaded my tuned file to my 2007 99tTT yesterday. It took me less than 5 minutes to load the tuned file to my 997's ECU.. Instead of using wi-fi, I wired my laptop to my internet for a faster connection. After the upload, I clicked the "finished" button and switch on the ignition. The idling went up a bit to 1,000 rpm, but when I revved the car, I could hear and feel the beast in the car. Took it for a drive, and wow and OMG, the 997 took off like a rocket. I guess the additional expected 80 gain made the 997 a 560hp supercar. Thanks to Dan and to Billy of Vividracing. More power to you.

by David Date Added: Tuesday 28 December, 2010
Yesterday took the Black Series n 997 out just to see what's up.The 997 pulled very hard n took off after 145mph.....Big smile in my face.Today on the way home from work a red F430 pulled in front of me n guess what???? he down shift n wait!!!!! I saw flame from his exhaust pipes , a bit scary,pull side by side with him, he took off.At 150mph he was 2 car behind me.....Bigger smile in my face.Thanks

by Abdulla Date Added: Friday 17 December, 2010
Flash process was super easy, I followed the instructions to the letter, the upload process took no more than 3 minutes .... Idling and normal (off-boost) driving is normal and still smooth to use even in traffic ... Aggressive driving however is another story ... The car seems to have a different personality after this flash, first time out I buried the go fast pedal in second gear and as soon as boost came on the car broke traction in all 4 wheels with psm on!!! I LOVE IT ... It really should come with a warning .... More power is on tap earlier, all the way up to the new 7K rpm redline, another detail I loved ..... Thanks to Dan@Vivid and the tuners for this wonderful product ... More to come after testing with race fuel ...

by Simon Lacey Date Added: Wednesday 27 October, 2010
Process was super simple, just followed the directions to the letter. After I recieved my Softtronic cable via Fedex, I simply plugged it into the car and read out the stock ecu file. The software automatically loaded it to the Softtronic servers. Less that 24 hours later I recieved an email from Dan with my new tuned file and old stock file attached. Again, I plugged in my cable to the ODBII port, turned on my laptop - Double clicked on the new tuned file and within two minutes it was reflashed with upgraded software. Initial reaction is WOW. Boost is definately coming on stronger and earlier. You can really hear the boost pressure increase from 3200 all the way to redline, which is now 7k BTW. It really has brought new life to the 997, not that it wasn't already a monster out of the box. Now its just sick.

by Christian Machado Date Added: Sunday 14 March, 2010
I promised Dan from Vividracing I would give him follow up on my experience so here it is: Purchase and support was fantastic, Install was easy even for a non windows person like me,then I had to wait for 6 weeks until weather turned warmer, I test drove the car both regular and sport mode ;I think the difference is obvious :quicker,more head-banging with each shift(torque),higher rpm achieved abruptly and shifting requires quicker moves,the turbo appears to engage at 1K rpm in every gear. Now, I am not and engineer , mechanic or professional car driver ,therefore I dont have any HP/Torque/rpm curves to show, my evaluation is totally subjective and feel. I drive to feel the connection between the road and machine as it interfaces through my senses.

by Charles Date Added: Monday 28 December, 2009
Flashing the ECU was something I had never considered seriously. I was however, interested in the banter about it on forums. The previous car was a 4CS, and that would not have made much of a difference to justify me to going through the long winded exercise to flash the ECU. With the current car being a 997.1 Turbo, I now felt it to be more justified. The prices and the long process involved were still too high for me, but …………..the ECU tune from Dan at Vivid Racing was much more reasonable, in both price and the convenience. So, I ordered one from Dan, and received the cable 2 days ago. Yesterday (Tuesday), I hooked up my laptop, cable, battery charger, downloaded the programme; and my ECU file was uploaded and automatically within 25 minutes. I just wanted you to know that the process was very easy, and in fact, quite satisfying. Today (Wednesday) both the tuned file and the original file were emailed to me. The car is easier and more pleasurable t..

by Ryan Date Added: Wednesday 09 December, 2009
I am very happy with my ECU tune for my 997 TT. The process is very easy and Dan from Vivid Racing offered exceptional customer service and walked me through the steps over the phone. I am amazed with the gains my car now has, its amazing. The car is very smooth and the car pulls really hard on the top end. I wish I would have purchased this tune earlier.

by Tom Date Added: Wednesday 09 December, 2009
Also tuned a 997TT. It is a definite \WOW\ … I could not believe the difference the first time I floored it! It is an animal even in non-sport mode when you get into the boost — but doesn’t seem to have lost any driveability around town. I’m now considering if the brakes are up to the task, no kidding. The tuning process itself was pretty user friendly, as described. I received the tune file withing 24 hrs of uploading, and then got my original file back the following day. The fact that I have the control and could switch back to original at any time is an absolutely great feature. Kudos to the team at Vivid, who provided excellent service throughout — thanks!

by Pete Date Added: Friday 06 November, 2009
2007 997 turbo.... INSANE after flash!! Car runs awesome!! Dan, thanks again for the tech support. The tune was worth every penny. The install took 5 minutes to load and it'll take months to peel the smile off my face. I really like the fact that you can switch tunes back and forth (although I don't see a need to) and the car retains all driveability without being twitchy or quirky. Again.. BIG props to Jon G. and Dan at Vivid. I've been buying there for a few months now and they are extremely helpful and easy to deal with. Thanks again guys. -Pete "Showking" Maurro

by Fwaz Date Added: Thursday 29 October, 2009
thanks dan … it is amazing flash ,, you can not imagin how the car will be after the flash .. its too much fast .. when you drive the car you will feel that a huge power came to the car anyway thanks dan .. real thanks to you for what you did to me

by Tim Date Added: Thursday 29 October, 2009
Dan, The ecu tune for my 997 TT was better than I could imagine. Now being able to tune my 997 TT through the obd port myself is worth the price of admission and having the power to change back to original condition at my command is huge and gives me an added dimension no other tuner can offer. Thanks again for the superior service during my experience. If you guys were only closer you would get in my pocket quite often. By the way not to forget about the fun part, the power difference is insane. I thought I would have trouble noticing anything but boy was I wrong. If anyone is on the fence have them send me an email and I will be glad to get them off. Thanks.

by Bobby Date Added: Thursday 29 October, 2009
I have a 07 997TT that I ordered my Flash from Dan. I have had several high HP cars taht I have modded in the past. Dan was very quick to answer all my questions. Flash arrived in about 5 days and was very easy to do. It took about 40 min to pull the original file and less than 10 min to load it. I am very very happy with it. Some prior cars I had, (Audi A4, Audi S4, 993 TT, 996TT) all had to send the ECU in to do the flash.

Last edited by vividracing; 01-31-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
P-car Fan is infamous around these parts
I'm going to eventually consider the Softronic tune as well, and also would like to know how it performs with the stock exhaust. Are new spark plugs necessary? My tt just passed the 3k mile barrier, so I've got a long warranty left; Can this tune be easily removed to turn the car back to stock?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I'd highly recommend a high flow exhaust, otherwise your EGT's will rise and gains diminish - no matter which tune.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
and Im on 15k replacement intervals with tuned 997.1 - not tracked. 12-15k is about the norm when flashed.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Art chime back in when you get your flash uploaded

As mentioned the flash coupled with a free flowing exhaust is your best bet however there are still significant gains with the OEM exhaust to be had.

As far as plugs the current plugs we supply seem to be maintaining a 12-15k average as mentioned above.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by vividracing

As mentioned the flash coupled with a free flowing exhaust is your best bet however there are still significant gains with the OEM exhaust to be had.

As far as plugs the current plugs we supply seem to be maintaining a 12-15k average as mentioned above.
I'm not wanting to change the exhaust in order to keep the sound level down, so I'll have to go with whatever gains come from just the flash. Was the 100hp gain Vivid saw from the Softronic flash on an otherwise stock car?
Do the spark plugs have to be changed from the get-go with the flash or just after the flash and the 12k-15k miles put on the car? For me that would be once per year (my daily driver), so that could get annoying. Is the plug change a DIY job?
I saw on Vivid's site that the car can be flashed back to stock, is this repeatable? (change back and forth from Softronic to stock a number of times)

Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Former Vendor
These dyno graphs will show a car that is flashed with exhaust only:

The car can be flashed back and forth from stock to the tuned file anytime.

The spark plug topic is one in its own. Since they are a wear and tear item and longevity is determined by so many factors it is extremely difficult to say they will last X amount of miles. Driving style, gas quality, and other factory all play a part. That being said if you mash on your throttle from stop light to stop light id expect them to wear faster if you have a 100 mile commute and you like to enjoy the scenery then id expect them to last much longer than the above mentioned miles.
On a 997TT id put a spark plug change at 4/10 for difficulty and set aside a day to do it.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM
These dyno graphs will show a car that is flashed with exhaust only:.

Any runs with flash only? And am I reading that correctly that exhaust gained almost 40whp over stock?

Are the stock plugs adequate for the flash since my car is new? Or are the plugs you sell better than stock and necessary for this flash?

Last edited by P-car Fan; 12-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, well after much deliberation I ordered the softronic 91 tune and I also ordered the Europipe 1 exhaust. Seems like the exhaust is a no brainer for too many reasons to list here. In any case I am considering waiting until the exhaust goes in next month before loading the tune.

as for the question about plugs, I'm running new stock plugs with only 1000 miles on them so I'm going to stick with them until they show signs of missing or next summer when my car is due for regular service, which ever comes first

Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by aa909
LOL, well after much deliberation I ordered the softronic 91 tune and I also ordered the Europipe 1 exhaust. Seems like the exhaust is a no brainer for too many reasons to list here. In any case I am considering waiting until the exhaust goes in next month before loading the tune.

as for the question about plugs, I'm running new stock plugs with only 1000 miles on them so I'm going to stick with them until they show signs of missing or next summer when my car is due for regular service, which ever comes first
if you do end up installing the tune before the exhaust, let us know how the results are

Old 12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
stock plugs are fine, next time just have them gapped a bit different than OEM guidelines for the flash, your tuner will advise you on that.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of

I just did the EP1 exhaust last month. You will love it! Makes the car sound meaner and you will notice a little smoother boost coming on. Just be warned that first day start will be a shocker! I was planning on enjoying the car just with the exhaust and when my CPO runs out in August, doing a tune then. I figure enjoy the car in steps and that way, it always stays fresh. Besides, it seems most of the problems you hear about are with tunes and zero problems that I know of with Europipe. I think with you doing both together, the car will become night and day. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Zero Cool has a spectacular aura aboutZero Cool has a spectacular aura aboutZero Cool has a spectacular aura about

I too recently ordered the Softronic tune and was planning on getting the Europipe exhaust (leaning toward EP2) Just wondering why you decided on EP1?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Zero Cool
I too recently ordered the Softronic tune and was planning on getting the Europipe exhaust (leaning toward EP2) Just wondering why you decided on EP1?
To be honest it came down to several things (mostly subjective).
1) The broadest experience across the EP options within the community seems to be with the EP1. Tons of first hand positive feedback on the various boards

2) Had a chance to get a ride in Kit's car with the EP1, loved the sound and feel of the exhaust. Loud enough, strong grumble, deep bass and nice howl at full throttle. Very complimentary to what a Porsche should sound like.

3) Aftermarket quad tips. hate the stock tips and the quad tips look sportier and more aggressive to me. This may seem silly to some but it was important to me, and I don't think there are many options for quad tips on the EP2 (larger pipes)

4) Price

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic 91 tune with stock exhaust