997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Decided on the 2009 year model for my 911 Turbo purchase.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Turbo Kyle is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Decided on the 2009 year model for my 911 Turbo purchase.

First I just wanted to say thanks to the 6 Speed forums and members.

I have been combing over what 997 Turbo I wanted.

And after the reading here (a good 100 hours) the 2009 997.1 Turbo is what I have decided on. So now I got a few final questions before I pull the trigger.

First, here is a list what I decided what "MUST HAVE" for options. At a bare minim.

1) Sports Chrono

Other things I'd like but are not a must

1)Sport adaptive seats

I also looked over breaking and I'm fine with the factory ones, if the car has the ceramics on it I'm fine with that too. I'm indifferent.

Are there any other options I should look out for? I'd like to really narrow it down so I can start looking.

Thanks fellas,
TK

Last edited by Turbo Kyle; 02-16-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
If its an 09 you have manual or tip for options. I would get the Chrono but if you dont have it Pacific Porsche can add it.
PCCB aren't worth it unless you are gonna track it and if you are get a GT3.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm not going to track it. However, it will get Intercoolers, turbos, ect. I want to have it at about 800HP. I saw a video of a black 997 Turbo, the dyno graph was like 775HP and 775 TQ to the wheels. I think that'll be plenty for a street car.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Turbo Kyle,
If I was going to get an auto I would pony up the money and get a 2010 with the PDK. I drove a tip and it was a no go for me so I got a manuel.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
Turbo Kyle,
If I was going to get an auto I would pony up the money and get a 2010 with the PDK. I drove a tip and it was a no go for me so I got a manuel.
Thats interesting, the reason I want the 2009 is for the GT1 Metzger.

I know Champion and Switzer can build the TIP.

You cant get the PDK in the 2009?

I'm worried about putting clutches in the Manual. However, I'm not totally against it.

TK

Last edited by Turbo Kyle; 11-20-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Changing the clutch out on the manual is nothing to be worried about, if you're already going to build it up to big hp.

Any reason you're specifically looking for a tiptronic? (like it was said, PDK is only in the 997.2 cars, and for the turbo that started in the year 2010)

Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by RNS
Changing the clutch out on the manual is nothing to be worried about, if you're already going to build it up to big hp.

Any reason you're specifically looking for a tiptronic? (like it was said, PDK is only in the 997.2 cars, and for the turbo that started in the year 2010)
The 6-Speed is starting to look better.

The tiptronic for launching. I like the way you can just let the work out of the hole, similar to the Nissan GTR.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Tiptronic launch is not even in the same league as PDK. If that's what is important to you in the least u should def consider 997.2 over 2009 .1
And no you can't put pdk on a mezger engine -- totally different and no no one else can "rebuild" your single clutch tip into a dual clutch - so .1 launch on a tip would be utterly destroyed by a gtr

Afaik, no such thing as a 997.1 turbo s either

Last edited by DÜnkleblau S; 11-20-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the clear data. I'm getting things ironed out. Switzer looks like they have a handle on the tip.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Keep doing your homework, the tip is a very stout transmission and performs very well in the turbo.

Add exhaust and a tune and you've got a low 11 high 10 second car.

The manual vs. tip conversations are fun to read but ultimately purely preferences. Fact is the tip is a rock solid trans and will run with the best of on street and track.

Now you mention Switzer...that's another league, they've built some of the quickest turbos around, and yes they're tips.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Hey forget the homework, and go down to the local P dealer; you should be able to test drive ALL options (pdk,tip,6spd).

Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
If the OP wants 800hp the 2009 is the newest car available, havent seen any tuner offering that kind of power for the newer engine.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
If the OP wants 800hp the 2009 is the newest car available, havent seen any tuner offering that kind of power for the newer engine.
100% correct.

I pretty much have it nailed down. I'm going to go ahead and get a 2009 997.1 just for the simple fact it has the GT1 Engine. I want to be able to dive the heck out of it (With a ton of power.) and sleep at night. The GT1 has the history at the track. I don't have any doubts about the newer Porsche models, for the record.

The P800 package from Switzer looks ideal. Again, I do plan on driving it fully. And it seems you can't go wrong with the 6-Speed and a good aftermarket clutch, when you're making big power.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by salerno713
Hey forget the homework, and go down to the local P dealer; you should be able to test drive ALL options (pdk,tip,6spd).
I'm doing it for the GT1. Thanks for supporting the GT1 in your sig

Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle
I'm not going to track it. However, it will get Intercoolers, turbos, ect. I want to have it at about 800HP. I saw a video of a black 997 Turbo, the dyno graph was like 775HP and 775 TQ to the wheels. I think that'll be plenty for a street car.
I am always surprised to hear these stories about 800hp. Where do you actually use this power to the fullest? Nowhere. Just for show.
(This is from a guy, who lives close to derestricted Autobahn and has 580hp at the crank.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Decided on the 2009 year model for my 911 Turbo purchase.