997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bad paint job on wheels - Please read long post but need some direction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 PM
swole305 has a spectacular aura aboutswole305 has a spectacular aura aboutswole305 has a spectacular aura about
Bad paint job on wheels - Please read long post but need some direction

hey guys - need some help/direction. LONG POST FYI....

I purchased some wheels from a vendor down here in Miami. Now they provided the wheels as powder coated. I had my car in a shop 3 days later to have the suspension done. As the tech worked on my car the paint started the chip off on all the wheels around the edge of the hole, not inside the hole but on the edge and top part leading into the hole. Now I was told by my engineer that is was b/c the wheel was not powder coated properly. I called the wheel manufacture and he stated that is was caused by damage and wouldn't warranty the wheel. Then I got to have a conversation with the owner of the wheel company that stated if I could prove the wheel was not powder coated properly he would repair them. I took the wheel to a powder coating shop were is was verified by them that the wheel was not coated properly and the owner of the powder coating company knows the wheel manufacture and called him personally and told him the wheels where not powder coated properly. After this conversation the wheel manufacture still did not want to fix the wheels. Even though he agreed that this person(powder coat guy) i was taking the wheels to be looked at was a professional and whatever he said would be the correct opinion on the actual powder coating of the wheel.

Now once I left the powder coat shop and was speaking with the wheel manufacture about this situation he got irate. At first he said he would refund me and then took it back. I told him if had just fixed the wheels in the beginning there wouldn't be an issue. Now that I know more about the wheels and how badly the workman ship is I am worried about everything else. So I stated I wasn't happy and wanted a full refund. So after that he said I was trying f()*)*))) him etc... I told him if that was the case I wouldn't have jumped through hoops to get to this point and would have just called Amex and have them deal with...Well I had to call Amex. I even got a second opinion from another shop about an hour away from my house. I also found out these wheels are not DOT certified or built to SAE specs....My main concerns after looking at the wheel is the actual build...As the screws on the back for holding the 3 pieces together came off so easily a 1 year could have screwed it off....

I cannot get any of these shops to write and actual opinion for me b/c they don't want to get involved and they know the main company that manufactured the wheels and do business with them....

Sorry for long post just venting...but need to figure out how to get some proof in writing for Amex.

Also - found another owner of the same manufacture and his paint is peeling off after a year and only 1500 miles of driving. Rust on the bolts on the back of the wheel also......

What can I do....

Excuse all spelling and grammar errors please....

Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Call Amex and dispute the charges. Send pictures of the damage showing the damage is not from misuse and are uniform on all wheels.

I wouldn't mention about the shops since they won't provide something in writing.

Ask for full refund since the wheels are defective and dont hold up. I would not dispute this as a warranty dispute as that may not be a valid reason

Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Yeah, just dump the wheels, and air the vendor. If people are making wheels that crappy and we're putting them on our cars, I'd like to know.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
As mentioned, definitely call AMEX and dispute the charges and have them deal with it. Let us know who the wheel manufacturer is as this is a really bad situation. Another thing with powder coating that most people don't account for is that the wheels are preheated, sprayed and re-heated for the powder coat to adhere. Depending on the wheel material and etc. this heating cycle and the top temperature should be totally monitored and the powder coater must know what they are doing as this will change the characteristics of the materials.

That change could lead to a softer or more brittle wheel, neither of which is a good situation.

Dump the wheels.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by swole305
I also found out these wheels are not DOT certified or built to SAE specs....My main concerns after looking at the wheel is the actual build...As the screws on the back for holding the 3 pieces together came off so easily a 1 year could have screwed it off....
^^^ That's the worst part here.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I think members here would like to know which wheel manufacturer is in dispute.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
you gave them a decent chance to fix the problem, they did not. Let Amex handle it.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Let you CC company take care of it and it is one of the perks of using the card that in genuine cases, you can always dispute the charges

Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
If your in Miami pass by WB ill tell you in seconds if they are powder coated ! its easy

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
alexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the rough
lol I just had my forgiato's crack on me...

miami... I am assuming it is COR wheels you dealt with...? only wheel shop round here...

Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i agree, i would like to know who the wheels manufacturer is also.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by alexo
lol I just had my forgiato's crack on me...

miami... I am assuming it is COR wheels you dealt with...? only wheel shop round here...
Originally Posted by unvmy996
i agree, i would like to know who the wheels manufacturer is also.

Its easy just check his prior post and his thread where he got his new wheels you guys are getting warm ....

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
You should post here who the wheel manufacturer is. Protect everyone else from falling into the same trap, and let the information super-highway do it's job by disseminating the information over the largest audience. It will take the company at fault years to recover it's reputation, if ever. The end result will be either a better wheel company for us to choose from, or one less disreputable one.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 11-28-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i think it was forged 360 , from forged dst..

pfftt... 360.... some habits never die.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't mind knowing who did it (just PM) as I'll probably swap my OEM wheels out for an aftermarket set one day and knowing who to avoid helps

I have my OEMs powder coated satin black for now, had them done by Epic Powder Coating near Tamiami airport. Very satisfied with the work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad paint job on wheels - Please read long post but need some direction