997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 turbo vs. Gallardo vs. R8 V10 vs. GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
I have had 996TT and 997TT's and they are great DD's. I think my 07TT was the best DD ever having put 55K miles on her in 5 years. That said, the TT's (and GTR's for that matter) are extremely boring vs. the normally aspirated high revving Italian exotics that you can purchase. If I may be so bold, have you considered a higher mileage well maintained F430 ? Your budget might be a bit light for a certified pre-owned dealer F430, but at the $120K mark you could find something really special (just not from an F car dealer although I would hunt for a dealer car with a warranty). Since I received my 2013 458 at the end of August I have put about 1600 miles on the F car. While the 458 is not the best DD, the excitement factor of the F car every time you drop the hammer is simply priceless and makes up for any issues you have 10 fold. Same for the F430. The truth is that any well maintained Gallardo will be just as good as the F430, but I think you owe it to yourself to spend some seat time in a 430 before you pull the trigger. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
mikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tortesq1
I have had 996TT and 997TT's and they are great DD's. I think my 07TT was the best DD ever having put 55K miles on her in 5 years. That said, the TT's (and GTR's for that matter) are extremely boring vs. the normally aspirated high revving Italian exotics that you can purchase. If I may be so bold, have you considered a higher mileage well maintained F430 ? Your budget might be a bit light for a certified pre-owned dealer F430, but at the $120K mark you could find something really special (just not from an F car dealer although I would hunt for a dealer car with a warranty). Since I received my 2013 458 at the end of August I have put about 1600 miles on the F car. While the 458 is not the best DD, the excitement factor of the F car every time you drop the hammer is simply priceless and makes up for any issues you have 10 fold. Same for the F430. The truth is that any well maintained Gallardo will be just as good as the F430, but I think you owe it to yourself to spend some seat time in a 430 before you pull the trigger. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with this guy fully in terms of exotic vs the rest

Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I agree with tortesq, that the AWD cars that you listed will become boring quick. And I remember you saying that you need AWD for the snow in Canada.
Like the difference between a 911 TT and a 911 GT3/2 is night and day in terms of driving excitement and enjoyment. But they are not that good for DD.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
My 458 can handle inclement weather, but for snow I drive my 05 Wrangler Unlim. Rub. (my Jeep hasn't let me down yet). You can put snow tires on the 430 (or the 458 for that matter), but if you really will drive daily in snow then you would absolutely need a 2nd car if you purchased an F car or a Lambo. The last 997 I had was an 07 997TT tip which performed well in the light snow, but the low air dams made anything over 3 or 4 inches a tough to impossible go. The G car also has low air dams so even with AWD it will be at a dead stop pushing snow that is deeper than a few inches. Something to consider.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Nitrouz is infamous around these parts
Thanks all. I'm in Vancouver so snow isn't really a factor. But it rains monkeys here. AWD just so the very occasional light drizzle of snow, I wouldn't have to worry about being stuck.

Yes I have considered an f-car. But from everything I've read and heard, they seem to be a lot more high maintenance than lambos.

Thanks all for the comments so far. I'm leaning towards the 997.1 tt.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Salmon is infamous around these parts
I didn't consider the Audi or gallardo but did go back and forth between the GTR and 997. After driving both it was an easy decision and I have zero regrets. For your purposes and having already owned a GTR, I think you should try out the 997 this time.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i bought a Gallardo.... and I highly recommend it. it's almost as reliable as a Porsche. hard to believe that an exotic can be so bullet proof.

the only other car on your list i would consider within 100-120k would be the 997TT. but i suspect that a 997 GT3 RS will be more appealing if you don't need rear seats.

if i were you, i would consider F430. more reliable than f360 and more power. won't break the bank with the maintenance either but still not as reliable as a gallardo.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !

drool...

Palette, do u have the link to this GT2 for sale?

OP, go with the 997.1 TT if u want the Mezger engine and AWD..

u can always try out the Gallardo in year or so, right ?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
Ok, from 04 gallardo 6spd to 06 gallardo spyder egear to 09 997.1TT 6spd..
gallardos were FUN and attractive in every way. if you are one of those attention ***** (sorry for the language), i would go for Gallardo in heart beat.
I was once attention *****, thats why I had TWO of them. in 3 years of ownership between two cars, I never had "big" problems with them, the egear one had to put new kevlar clutch, but that was the only "big $$" job - $7k? or so.

now this is my 2nd 997tt as well, I love them because they drive so nice, compare to gallardo, not much of an attention ***** car, it blends into the traffic well, with a good tune and exhaust + intercooler, it makes a good amount of power 520+ at the wheel or more.

I also have 06 F430 spyder, this will be the perfect mix between Gallardo and the porsche. drives as good or better than 997tt, f1 gear is perfect, good amount of attention, maintenance is not too bad.

sorry not much help, but you will be happy with either Gallardo or 997TT.
but look into F430's.. haha

Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Goldstar is a jewel in the roughGoldstar is a jewel in the roughGoldstar is a jewel in the roughGoldstar is a jewel in the rough
I saw an interesting ad a couple of days back for a Gallado. It read only 9,000 miles on the car, transmission rebuilt 2,000 miles ago. That was a very telling selling point. Have 2 friends with Gallardos that have both given up on them recently. I think it dependson your purpose. If you want the attention, get a Gallardo, for a great DD that you mess around with the TT is super reliable and great to drive in 99% of daily encounters.
Please fill us in on your thoughts now that you have gotten great feedback.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Best bang for the buck of the 3 (since you already had a GTR) is the 997.1TT. Super strong internals and the AWD does help adding boat loads of power.

My $28k bill argues against 'super strong internals'...and I was only at 700hp.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
a 997 Turbo is a fine choice. great all rounder. The GTR was made to beat the Turbo in all aspects except driving feel. a 997 Turbo feels like a proper sports car, where a GTR feels artificial. if speed is all you want, then the GTR is the choice.

the Gallardo, i did not care for the steering. its handling had understeer as well. the Superleggera and Performante feel great though. with the Gallardo, you are buying for show and great noise. these are aspects lacking from the aforementioned and arguably important aspects to an exotic.

R8 V10 i have not driven yet, but im not that interested as it is a tamed down lamborghini and that beats the purpose of such a car. I will end with saying I love Ferrari's. Best feel, best handling, best looks, best sound, and to say you own a Ferrari is just priceless. Check for independent Ferrari shops, its not THAT bad. I plan to get a Ferrari someday.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM
SVTLOL is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
My $28k bill argues against 'super strong internals'...and I was only at 700hp.
I would like to hear about this since im debating cars as well shoot me a pm with the scoop if you will.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Nitrouz is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the feedback so far. A few of it nailed it in the head for me. I'm not looking for something that grabs attention everywhere I go, but there are the occasional times when you're cruising by the beach or what not and don't mind the spotlight a bit. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the 997tt and the Gallardo, with more weight on the Porsche due to being an "all-rounder". But I just can't get the Gallardo V10 noise out of my head.....

Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Why don't you takes some trips to Vegas and test drive them all on the track. Some fun in the sun and a great track experience.

Actually you could get a nicely used .1 turbo and spend the saved $$$ enjoying vegas on the weekends while you drive the others.

IMO...these types of decisions never go away they are simply temporarily couched until the newness wears off of the current ride.

btw...that amazing silver GT2RS cannot be had in the 100-120k price range...it'll be double that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo vs. Gallardo vs. R8 V10 vs. GTR