997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 turbo vs. Gallardo vs. R8 V10 vs. GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Nitrouz is infamous around these parts
997 turbo vs. Gallardo vs. R8 V10 vs. GTR

Hello all. I've been a long term lurker but first time poster. Been debating between the above 4 vehicles for a while now.

A little background...I bought a Nissan 350z in 2005. Made it one of the most powerful 350z's of it's time (google "420ztt" if you'd like). Then went to the GTR world in 2009 with one of the first production versions. Sold it after 2 years as I felt it was disconnected and boring, despite running 10.8@132mph with it slightly modded. Downgraded to a 370z for the manual transmission. Had my fun but now thinking again of moving up into the high-powered world.

Given my $100-$120k budget, here's my debate daily...for the past month now:

- 997TT: Easy to make up to 800hp or so. Reliable GT1 derived motor (997.1's). Relatively low maintenance. Relatively low initial investment.
- Gallardo: Can only afford the original Gallardo body style. Amazing V10 sound. Exotic looks. Oh did I mention the sound? If I decide to go big and TT this thing, nothing will touch it.
- GTR: Can get brand new. Easily modded. Quickest of the bunch. Easy to make quicker as well. Lower maintenance.
- R8 V10 - Easy to drive (boring). Doesn't have the high-pitched shriek as the Lambo's do, despite the same motor. Beautiful interior.

I find myself debating back and forth daily. I know this is a 997 forum but out of all the forums I'm researching on, you guys seem to be the most "gearheaded" like myself, therefore I value your opinions.

Would love to hear what you have to say with these choices.

Respectfully,

Alex

Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 AM
strato58 is infamous around these parts
Dont know which one but you had the gtr and sold it so I would eliminate that...now your down to 3!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
There is a flawless GT2 forsale

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
ATL97gts is infamous around these parts
Twin Turbo Viper will eat that Gallardo for lunch.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 AM
SVTLOL is infamous around these parts
Iv been in the same boat for 2 years ended up buying a ACR viper and now looking at going the Gallardo , 997.1 Turbo or GTR . Iv had a c5 Z06 with 1050rwhp a c6 Z06 with 890rwhp and some other fast cars but everyone i know thats had a GTR has sold it less than a year after they bought it.

Last edited by SVTLOL; 11-28-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
AtomicZ has 800 RWHP built motor rare white 996 GT2
traps 148. Much less than your stated budget.

MK

Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
TT Vipers are so yesterday

Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM
ATL97gts is infamous around these parts
He said his old car was "disconnected and boring" and that he wanted big horsepower. I love my 996tt, but it is boring and won't reliably make the power of that big V10. Speaking as an owner of both.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm mainly deciding between the above mentioned 4 cars as I need awd for the weather up here in Canada.

Also I wouldn't mind a lightly modded car (exhaust, intake, suspension, etc) but would rather do the bigger mods myself, if I decide to go down that route.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
mikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud of
I have a 997.1 tt and a 05 G.

Two totally different cars cant really compare.

Better drivers car- Porsche (by far)
Daily Driver- Porsche

Putting a smile on your face every ******* second - G (priceless) V10 strightpipes

Those are the main points vs the two cars, decide form there.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks Mike. Those are the exact things I'm contemplating but cannot decide between them.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Best bang for the buck of the 3 (since you already had a GTR) is the 997.1TT. Super strong internals and the AWD does help adding boat loads of power. The original gen G is ok but the E gear is so brutal and driving the TT manual car is a ***** when the boost drops off between long shifts in thayt exposed shift gate.

If you want a drag/street racer, maybe go for a built/stalled Tip car. That would be a monster with zero boost drop between shifts and a rocket brake boosted off the line!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Mike0032 is infamous around these parts
I've driven all of the cars you mentioned. The Gallardo is a great car, the sound is absolutely brilliant, has great road presence and performance out of the box. However, the GTR is still one of my favorites. Lightning fast, reliable, cheap to own and maintain, and doesn't cost too much to make it even faster. The Gallardo isn't cheap to modify, much less go TT.

When I first drove the new 997T and Turbo S, I was blown away. I spent some time on the backroads with a Intake/Exhaust/Tune/Eibach Springs/other goodies 997T 6-speed and I was thrilled. Never got bored. I've also driven a number of Turbo S's and they never cease to amaze me at how hard they pull. One time I went 0-60 so fast that I actually had a headache for the next hour!

The Porsche isn't terribly expensive to modify either, and they still have a sleeper physique to them, in my mind.

You've already owned the GTR. The R8's aren't really that cool. That Gallardo will be expensive to own/maintain/modify and you'll probably take a hit when you go to resell it since it's going to be an 04-08 and the prices are only going lower and lower.

Buy the Porsche. I doubt you'll regret it. Shoot me a PM when you're ready to make it faster.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I would go the 911 TT route mainly because it feels more connected then the GTR. I would not even consider the R8 or lambo for the reasons given above (also no storage).
The GTR is very fast and handles well but you feel like you are driving up high in a very big car, and it feels like its doing it for you. The TT in comparison feels much smaller and lower, and communicates to you better for a more visceral driving experience IMO. Yes it costs more and is harder to make as fast as a GTR, but it has the important variables.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
mikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nitrouz
Thanks Mike. Those are the exact things I'm contemplating but cannot decide between them.

You mention awd...

the Porsche will kick the G's *** when talking awd.

P= Brilliant system
G= Basic

Also,
Porsche is faster out of the box 0-250, and you can upgrade in increments.

G puts a smile on your face no matter what (forget speed, forget geforce, forget everything). Upgrade wise; anything other then a tt system is a waist of money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo vs. Gallardo vs. R8 V10 vs. GTR