997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

911 SC "RS" and my TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 AM
NYNick is infamous around these parts
Smile 911 SC "RS" and my TT

I've got a lead on a very well done older SC, RS tribute with a 993 3.6L expensively modified to a 3.8L. Very reputable shop that I deal with all the time.

Drove the beast yesterday and I've got to say I've never driven anything like that before. There are a lot of refinements and details to speak of, but I'm not looking for a concourse car or to make a ton of money on it...more like a daily driver to not have to worry about dings and the like, like I do with the TT.

This is a well done R Gruppe type vehicle with an 82 body. I like the Zinc coating part.

While a bit scary, it was quite the experience. I'm guessing 2600lbs with at least 300/325 air cooled HP out back, maybe more. This thing screamed, and had more to give.

Anybody got thoughts on a fair price? It has zero issues and would tear up the track tomorrow, as long as I didn't kill myself in the process.

Thanks

Nick

I didn't really know where to post this, so i figured I'd ask 'the most experienced guys'...lol.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Abboushi is just really niceAbboushi is just really niceAbboushi is just really niceAbboushi is just really nice
Lets start with the motor alone a 3.6l runs 8k modifying it to 3.8 with performance parts another 8k minimum. The 82 SC would run 18k clean and running. A 930 TT is in the 40k range, I wouldn't pay more then 35k, reason being in my opinion the 930TT will always retain more value then a modified 911. So I personally wouldn't pay more then a turbo. I'm no professional but it's my opinion

Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I like your logic, although I'm no fan of the 930's.
This car has more to it than I described, but your logic is solid. I just love the base purity of the car, especially as a DD; and I know the shop is very high quality and the mechanic is top of the line. The cars serviced in this shop are legendary.
He turned me down at your number. I'm thinking maybe a few more, but that's it.

Thanks for your input.

Nick

Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Time shoul be on your side. Special cars need special buyers. And there aren't many of the latter.
I am not aware of pricing at your side of the pond but what other 911 can you get for the money you are about to spend, and use as a daily driver?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Agree. I just hope no other special buyers show up before me.

There's a huge selection of DD's 911's out there in the $35-$45,000 range including GT3's, Cabriolets and the like.

I think I want something 'special', hot rod like, R Gruppe like. Or maybe I just think I'm Steve McQueen.

Gotta sell another car first. So I need the time you speak of.

Thanks for your reply.

Nick

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NYNick
There's a huge selection of DD's 911's out there in the $35-$45,000 range including GT3's, Cabriolets and the like.
No prob Nick, that is what I was getting at.
I think that all such sentimental decisions - because I have faced a few myself with older 911s - are there in principal. In reality, you may miss so many creature habits of newer cars, such as anti spin and abs and airbags, and hydaulics, or aircon, that eventually in a year or two you will prefer say a 996 turbo as a daily driver.

I am so for buying an older 911. Then I read posts from fellow enthusiasts that they sold their 993 (trubo or other) for a newer car and they have never looked back, or that the 964 ended up being a garage queen because it wasnt for daily usage... and that makes me halt in my tracks. My 997 is a weekend car - not by choice but by Greek crisis! So sanity tells me not to buy another weekend car... Because those toys cost a lot of money when you resell them.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by maria.apperson
Time shoul be on your side. Special cars need special buyers. And there aren't many of the latter.
Come on Marie - no original words from you??

Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Nick,
Are you trying to get me to rationalize an emotional, immature and 'I want it now' decision? This is a lightweight 300+HP deathtrap that has no business being on the road! You should see what I've got on EBAY as we speak to help with the purchase of the backdated 911!

But I hear ya. There's only been one Porsche I regretted buying, and that was a rusty old 912. Other than that, they are in my soul.

I've got a few other cars in the driveway for basic transportation.(can you hear the rationalization going on?)

In any case, I'm thinking of going to Greece for a two week vacation with the wife in the Spring..never been, part of the travel bucket list.

Thanks for your input.

NYNick

Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM
LoL Nick. I am constantly in the same rationalization mode.
So i thought if the 964 I had found here was a bit too much as a sum to spend in crisis ridden Greece, then I could go for the IMMACULATE e30 M3 (1989 with bulging flares) that I came across (which I drove when I was studying stateside and loved it) for half the money and been fighting it every since!
And then I tried to imagine driving a 213hp normally aspirated 4 cyl engine, albeit a nicely balanced one with rear wheel bias, after a 500hp forced induction monster and a 1.4 also forced induction tuned abarth with 165 hp that I have as a daily driver, and figured it wouldnt be as exciting as it seemed when I was in my mid twenties, would it?
But it does look so retro and sweet...
Oh well.

Look me up when you come next year. Dont do spring, the water is cold for swimming. Best time is September, especially for the islands.