997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Coolant smell after driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
vinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of light
Coolant smell after driving

I am noticing a coolant smell usually after driving my car for a while. I haven't noticed any white smoke or leaks on the floor where the car usually parks. Also, I have not received any warnings, stating low coolant levels.

Has anyone else experienced this? This is an 07 Turbo. It seems like the smell is coming from the rear.

Thanks in advance.

Vin

Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
GT2 Chris is infamous around these parts
Yes i had the same problem with the coolant smell and found it to be the front radiators. My car is very low mileage so thought it was ok but when the front bumper was removed it was found that water was sitting on the bottom of the radiators and caused then to corrode and leak. Apparently a common issue. I had to replace all the radiators. I would expect your turbo to be similar to the GT2 set up regarding the radiators but not sure. I would recommend checking the radiators to be on the safe side and then hopefully cancel this out.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same but after a few days I could see white smole from the rear when parking. It the developed into a slow dripping of coolant. It actualy took weeks before it developed into a steady pour of water...

Two hoses on the right side of the car needed replacement, the engine had to come out, and I was very happy for my extended waranty.

Mine is also a 2007 turbo...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM
vinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of light
Oh man...I think I am going to puke.
Upon purchase of the car, one of the radiators was replaced because it was leaking. I purchased the car in September and have only put around 600 miles on it. Initially I thought it was spilled coolant burning off when they did the radiator. However its now close to four months and I am still getting the smell.

-Vin

Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
GT2 Chris is infamous around these parts
Ah not to worry man, give it a good check over, it might turn out to be nowt.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by GT2 Chris
Ah not to worry man, give it a good check over, it might turn out to be nowt.
Spent some time looking over the car. I did not find any leaks, drips or wet spots. Everything was dry and the coolant level is good. I did notice a faint smell near the coolant reservoir but again everything looks dry.

-Vin

Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Tides is infamous around these parts
Check the coolant reservoir cap. - the seal "sets" and under pressure leaks a bit. A new cap at $26 may be the answer

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
I had the same but after a few days I could see white smole from the rear when parking. It the developed into a slow dripping of coolant. It actualy took weeks before it developed into a steady pour of water...

Two hoses on the right side of the car needed replacement, the engine had to come out, and I was very happy for my extended waranty.

Mine is also a 2007 turbo...
You are saying above that your extended warranty paid for two hoses which involved pulling engine. My extended EasyCare warranty which is one of the best in USA refused to cover a water hose, 2 inches in length, saying nothing with rubber is covered. Maybe factory covers this but not EasyCare or any other extended warranty is what they said.
If that rubber hose was covered.....what is the name of your extended warranty co....I would like to purchase it.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnww
You are saying above that your extended warranty paid for two hoses which involved pulling engine. My extended EasyCare warranty which is one of the best in USA refused to cover a water hose, 2 inches in length, saying nothing with rubber is covered. Maybe factory covers this but not EasyCare or any other extended warranty is what they said.
If that rubber hose was covered.....what is the name of your extended warranty co....I would like to purchase it.
I am in the EU, it was called "Porsche Warranty/Porsche Apporved" and was offered me for free. BUT I think this is actually payed by the seller of the car to the Porsche Center that took it upon themself to sell it to.

The seller had to make sure the car was in compliance with a long list of "rules" that Porsche dictates incl N-marked tires (I actually have a set of brand new Micheline PS that didnt have the N-marking).

I do not think it is possible to purchase this coverage. It isnt easy to sell thoose cars in Sweden and the warranty offered was one of the main reasons for me to get this specific car.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Sounds like Porsche CPO. i would think they would cover this.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by Tides
Check the coolant reservoir cap. - the seal "sets" and under pressure leaks a bit. A new cap at $26 may be the answer

Thanks, I will check it. This is definitely a possibility.