997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Oil Leak!--What do you think it is?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Oil Leak!--What do you think it is?

Hey guys,

So I pulled out of my driveway today and noticed 2 small oil drop stains on the floor. I couldn't tell if it was transmission fluid or oil but I think oil. I got under the car and took these pics with my camera phone. You can see that it's coming from the center of the engine. What do you think it can be? The car has just over 30K miles and is an 07, trouble free till this point. Never tracked but enjoyed on the streets I'm taking the car to the dealer Monday morning. Thankfully, it still is under CPO for another 9 months or so. I just installed a Europipe Stage I a month ago. I really hope they don't try to pull some b.s. about mods and voiding the warranty. I just can't see how this could be related to the exhaust in anyway. Any thoughts or advice you guys have is appreciated.

Thanks!Name:  oil leak.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  204.4 KB

Name:  oil leak 2.jpg
Views: 4148
Size:  247.6 KB

Last edited by MK23; 12-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[QUOTE=MK23;3718147]Hey guys,

So I pulled out of my driveway today and noticed 2 small oil drop stains on the floor. I couldn't tell if it was transmission fluid or oil but I think oil. I got under the car and took these pics with my camera phone. You can see that it's coming from the center of the engine. What do you think it can be? The car has just over 30K miles and is an 07, trouble free till this point. Never tracked but enjoyed on the streets I'm taking the car to the dealer Monday morning. Thankfully, it still is under CPO for another 9 months or so. I just installed a Europipe Stage I a month ago. I really hope they don't try to pull some b.s. about mods and voiding the warranty. I just can't see how this could be related to the exhaust in anyway. Any thoughts or advice you guys have is appreciated.

I had small oil leak which turned out to be the heat exchanger. r/r cost $1225.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:04 PM
alwaysturbos is infamous around these parts
Oil pressure sensors leak a small amount of oil when bad/going bad

Old 12-15-2012, 04:52 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
I had small oil leak which turned out to be the heat exchanger. r/r cost $1225.[/QUOTE]

Did they cover it under warranty? Did you ever have issues with stuff being covered because of your exhaust?

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll see what they say Monday.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
There is so much stuff on top of the motor that it will be extremely difficult to diagnose unless you can physically see where the leak is coming from. I had a similar thing happen to me about 6 months ago. It ended up being an o-ring on top of the motor, right by one of the oil coolers. There was no way to diagnose unless bringing down the whole motor. Ended up fixing the leak and replacing all o-rings around the area to ensure this would not happen ever again! Lol

Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Update: Took it the dealer today and they said it was a transmission pan gasket leak, covered under CPO. Thanks for the responses guys, always appreciated.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by MK23
Update: Took it the dealer today and they said it was a transmission pan gasket leak, covered under CPO. Thanks for the responses guys, always appreciated.
Auto trans oil is red compared to engine oil, you failed to note that in your description of problem.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
As long as we are asking about oil leaks...can I ask about one? Its just up under the rear bumper and its def oil leaking. Whats the consensus?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 AM
ATL97gts is infamous around these parts
Curious about these last two pictures. I don't know what that pipe and those two rubber seals are, but I've seen them on my car and they don't look relaible.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Anymore input on my last 3 photos? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
nice headers!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM
1a1
1a1 is infamous around these parts
Looks like the oil is actually dripping from something above that pipe, perhaps valve covers or something on the engine/cyl head? You can see the cyl head is discolored.

Steve K.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Good point Steve. I wish I could have had a better view. The car is sooo low I couldnt get my head under there...just my phone.