997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

APR tune 93 oct vs. 100 oct race tonight. Me vs. blackswan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
strato58 is infamous around these parts
Quick, no it does not. You should get an overboost arrow in sport mode...do you? I had intercoolers installed and was only getting 8 psi...turns out there was some electronic connector that was loose. I dont know what it is because i did not do the install and im not a mechanic. After that was fixed 17+ arrow. At 8psi my car was slow.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Former Vendor
dbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant future
the amount of tq 100Oct file puts out is unbelievable. 997.1tt file APR built is one of the best in the industry.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
APR 100 octane file is simply unique...when you ve decided to stay with stock vtgs...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
Due to all the respect to our good APR 100 oct tune,
My car being 93 oct APR tuned car (dispute that I have GT2RS intercooler and catless exhaust system) versus, his car having IPD plenum + Ypipe + Fabspeed intake,
The race was pretty close..

The # showing on APR site saids it's about 70 hp more, but how is this possible?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
I did some runs with 93 and 100 and VBox times confirmed there were some differences. The car had the exact same mods and I did the runs at the exact same spot. The only difference is it was about 40F with the 93oct and 60F with the 100oct.

60-130mph, 7.9 1 shift
100-200kmh, 6.3 0 shift. 6.6 1 shift

60-130mph=7.5
100-200kph=5.9

Another thing to keep in mind is that the APR tune is the same no matter what mods you have, it doesn't change as your mods change. So I'd imagine the intake, plenum, Ypipe, headers...etc are not doing much. Your GT2RS coolers might actually make the most difference since it'll help keep your IAT down and your times more consistent.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 AM
BlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really nice
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
I did some runs with 93 and 100 and VBox times confirmed there were some differences. The car had the exact same mods and I did the runs at the exact same spot. The only difference is it was about 40F with the 93oct and 60F with the 100oct.

60-130mph, 7.9 1 shift
100-200kmh, 6.3 0 shift. 6.6 1 shift

60-130mph=7.5
100-200kph=5.9

Another thing to keep in mind is that the APR tune is the same no matter what mods you have, it doesn't change as your mods change. So I'd imagine the intake, plenum, Ypipe, headers...etc are not doing much. Your GT2RS coolers might actually make the most difference since it'll help keep your IAT down and your times more consistent.

That's good stuff. Thanks. What do you think would be the reason he is seeing 17psi+ and arrow? As i am only seeing 15psi and no arrow.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Anyone ever consider running meth on their 100 oct file instead of using race gas?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BlackSwan
That's good stuff. Thanks. What do you think would be the reason he is seeing 17psi+ and arrow? As i am only seeing 15psi and no arrow.
You got me on that one. I've always seen 15psi without the arrow after the APR tune. Only time I saw the arrow was when I got it back from the dealer, I was still on the 93 map though. So I loaded the stock map then reloaded the 93 map and the arrow went away.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:22 AM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
If I am on the stock map and able to hang with blackswan, my car will be a superstar!
Haha that is super weird. Let me change maps around and see what happens.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM
BlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really nice
I just spoke with APR tech support and i am going to try to repeat what they just told me.

1. We are seeing different boost levels because each car and computer are different depending on what car and modifications, the computer will use more or less boost to achieve the power output given by the program.(that is my abbreviated version of the smart talk)

I can't find any other reason why the boost levels would be different but they seemed to be very confident that is what is going on.

2. The programs we are using are specifically for a cat-less exhaust system and will significantly make a difference without a cat. Says APR.

I will be ordering my cat-less X-pipe very soon. We can find out what is what.

3. I am at a loss if none of this makes sense.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Ohhhhh cant wait to run again with your new exhaust setup!! :-)

Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 PM
How's the smell with the catless exhaust?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlackSwan
I just spoke with APR tech support and i am going to try to repeat what they just told me.

1. We are seeing different boost levels because each car and computer are different depending on what car and modifications, the computer will use more or less boost to achieve the power output given by the program.(that is my abbreviated version of the smart talk)

I can't find any other reason why the boost levels would be different but they seemed to be very confident that is what is going on.

2. The programs we are using are specifically for a cat-less exhaust system and will significantly make a difference without a cat. Says APR.

I will be ordering my cat-less X-pipe very soon. We can find out what is what.

3. I am at a loss if none of this makes sense.
The flash might be targeting load not absolute boost targets, that would mean if you have alot of supporting mods that in the end allow the ECU to reach its targets at a lower boost it will "stay there".

And the catts must create more back pressure than a cattless setup, so without them the APR folks can be more aggressive knowing your turbos will be a happier, allowing for more boost.

I am new to the P-car tuning and the little I know comes from a few years of BMW N54 tuning, that engine is slightly different (I6 and high compression using DI).

Old 12-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Coming from Lambo and Ferrari with catless system,
I am used to the smell.. :-)

Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
ooh you wont smell it when you are in the front

Last edited by yllwturbo; 12-22-2012 at 08:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: APR tune 93 oct vs. 100 oct race tonight. Me vs. blackswan