997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Considering 997 Turbo (own C2S Cab) - curious

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Considering 997 Turbo (own C2S Cab) - curious

I am seriously considering trading in my 997 C2S convertible for a 997 turbo convertible (instead of a new 991 C2S). Are there issues I should be aware of when buying a used (CPO) turbo? Things I should look for? I'm unfamiliar with the maintenance on a turbo, so are there surprises in store for me? Are the turbos typically as reliable as the non-turbos? Also, is it a must to have a PDK on a turbo (meaning is it just better for lag and such)? Any help or advice on the 997 turbo would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 01-05-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
More reliable, more HP/TQ, hold their value better. Oh yeah, and it's a turbo!
GL

Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
Make sure to get 09 997.1tt with updated PCM!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 PM
GU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really nice
Very low maintenance. I take mine in once a year for maintenance and an inspection sticker. Had the plugs changed when I upgraded my turbos, but otherwise the maintenance has been very basic.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
I am in the same boat. The 991's hasn't attracted me at all. If I am gonna drop that sum of money it better be a Turbo. I am looking at Turbo S's. The only thing that I worry is that if I get a PDK, I may get bored of it quickly.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
That's what happened to me, traded the 997tt on a tts, got bored, eventually got another 997tt.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aznevoviii
Make sure to get 09 997.1tt with updated PCM!
Why do many people write to get the 997.1tt? is it just better than the 997.2?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM
MCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud of
Anyone see the 997 price dropping as we get closer to, and hit the release of the next gen turbo?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MCGT3
Anyone see the 997 price dropping as we get closer to, and hit the release of the next gen turbo?
Yes, absolutely. If the 991 based Turbo has a significant performance gain over the 997.2 Turbo (which we all expect it will based on how fast/capable the 991S is), then the only logical thing to expect is that both 997.1 and 997.2 TT values are going to take the most significant hit. The 991 Turbo is poised to offer some very big performance so I'd say the 'average' 997 Turbo owner (if such a thing exists) will be drawn to it.

Fortunately, for those of us who are extra crazy and follow boards like this, we know there is more going on than just raw stats. But the overall valuation of 997.1 and 997.2 Turbos will likely take a decent hit in my view based on historical trends and also normal depreciation curves.

Can anyone quantify for me (I honestly don't know) if the 991 and 991S debuts had a significant and noticeable hit on 997 and 997S values? I suspect they did...but don't know this as fact.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
Why do many people write to get the 997.1tt? is it just better than the 997.2?
It has the GT1/Mezger engine, same engine as the GT2 & GT3, not as fuel efficient but supposely much much stronger and with great potential for tuning.

Only drawbacks are the PCM on the 997.1 is ancient wo bluethooth etc, and you cant get the pdk (but IMO one shouldnt have any automatic gearbox in an 911 anyways).

Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
Thats why, 2009 997.1TT,
Updated touchscreen bluetooth navi (PCM3.0) with the best engine!!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
It has the GT1/Mezger engine, same engine as the GT2 & GT3, not as fuel efficient but supposely much much stronger and with great potential for tuning.

Only drawbacks are the PCM on the 997.1 is ancient wo bluethooth etc, and you cant get the pdk (but IMO one shouldnt have any automatic gearbox in an 911 anyways).
Hrrrm...never knew that. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Gt1 engine G50 transmission.
Same basic engine tranny combo as the gt1, 935, gt3 etc race cars. Proven.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
i sold an 09 C2S Cab PDK and bought an 08 TT Coupe 6spd. The newer electronic gizmo's were nice but I dont miss them. I rarely even listen to the radio. However, IMO, if a Cab is a must the 991 Cabs are exceptional would prob pick it vs a 997 TT cab. good luck

Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xbox_fan

Only drawbacks are the PCM on the 997.1 is ancient wo bluethooth etc

No, '09 is 997.1 still, and IT has PCM3.0 with built in bluetooth, ipod, sat, etc if ordered that way. '09 is the last year of the GT1 based block. Get it if you can find it. '08 and earlier, same block, but weak PCM as referenced above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering 997 Turbo (own C2S Cab) - curious