997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dension 500S installed... after thoughts and a question for other owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Dension 500S installed... after thoughts and a question for other owners

Hey folks,

I purchased the Dension 500S from Eric@Bumperplugs.com as I was tired of burning CD's to play my music in my 07 TT. As most people have mentioned here, Eric was extremely prompt and helpful in answering questions that I had (even answered it very quickly when I was installing it on the weekend).

To start off, I have the PCM with CD changer. I opted to go with this unit mainly b.c:
  • Ease of installation: I can only speak to my situation (PCM w/ CD changer) but if you have a PCM with CD Changer, it truly is VERY easy to install. If I knew what I know now, I could have it installed in less than 15 minutes (once I took off all the coverings in the trunk and not including time to run the necesary wires through the firewall). The thing that took me the longest was 1) taking off the CD Changer to get to the MOST plug (which I realized that I prob didn't need to unmount it as I could still unplug it with it mounted) and 2) finding a constant power wire to tap into (which was the red/green wire going into the Nav unit)
  • Functionality: Whatever I purchased (it was either this or going with a brand new aftermarket HU), the most important/improved functions I wanted was to stream my music (ipod or pandora) via BT, have hands free calling, improved navigation and backup camera. The 500s took care of everything except for the back up camera (which I'm still trying to find a reasonable solution). For those wondering how the 500S improved my navigation capabilities, if I input my navigation into my iphone5, the BT streaming will allow the instructions to stream from the phone through to the speakers (which makes it pretty sweet ) Also, I am able to fast forward or reverse my music playlist through the PCM and the song title does show up on the PCM.
  • Package: I will have to say I was very impressed with the whole Dension package as it included everything you need (at least in my case) to install. All the accessories were top notch in terms of fitment and materials used. The only thing you will need to buy are wire taps (which depends on how you decide to power up the unit) and a lightning adaptor if you have a iphone 5.
  • Cost: I paid a little under $600 for the 500s but if I went with a aftermarket unit, I estimated it to be around $1500 -2k depending on the HU you buy.
I've noticed a couple of CONS as well:
  • BT strength?: I'm not sure if it's b/c I mounted the Dension unit in the trunk or something is quirky with the system but on a 40 min drive, I had quite a few static/stops in my music. It happened both when I was streaming Pandora and on my ipod playlist. I've read on other forums that people say if you mount the dension behind the PCM, it will improve BT strength. I'm going to leave it as-is for now and if it gets really annoying, I'll opt to mount it inside the cabin and behind the PCM. Has anyone experienced similar BT reception quality? IF so, where did you mount your Dension unit?
  • The iPod connector that comes with the unit is the old 30-pin adaptor so for those with iphone 5's, you will need to buy the lightning adaptor. Also, I was told that once you connect up your iphone to the connector, you lose the ability to use the iphone to stream or to make calls (can someone confirm this?)
  • Ghosts in the system?: On my 40 min drive, there were a few times a "ghost" would appear in the system b/c unexplainable things would happen. For example, the PCM would skip to the next song... or BT would stop streaming and start playing songs from my ipod... all on its own. Has this happened to anyone?
  • User interface/Menu selection: The UI takes a little getting use to (ie., holding the forward button to "select" options)
Thanks again to Eric for the support on install. I'll stick with this for now and hopefully the quirks will work itself out

Edwin

Last edited by PrecisionPorsch; 01-15-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
mikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud of
Ghosts-- It has a lot! Especially when transitioning between phone call and back to ipod/ music interface.

I also have alot of feedback/ echoing with the bt phone feature.

Wondering if there is a firmware update in the near future?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Yeah, the phone on mine isn't the greatest... People complain of how distorted it is, etc... plus they can hear themselves talking which is distracting. Overall I'm happy with the system, but the stock system in my previous 2009 was overall better. This is close... and close enough for me to recommend it. I don't usually stream music but haven't had any issues with that yet.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
My unit is attached to the MOST fiber optics behind the PCM unit. I have had no BT sound quality issues or connectivity issues. I do have, on occasion, a hand off problem going from BT music to BT answering an incoming call. Sound quality is good - my microphone is along the A pillar right by the visor. If you are having echoing or sound quality issues, it is usually the microphone position.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes. my BT is also a little buggy, echos. I'm going to take it back in to get debugged.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
My unit is attached to the MOST fiber optics behind the PCM unit. I have had no BT sound quality issues or connectivity issues. I do have, on occasion, a hand off problem going from BT music to BT answering an incoming call. Sound quality is good - my microphone is along the A pillar right by the visor. If you are having echoing or sound quality issues, it is usually the microphone position.
Mine is up on the other side of the visor, near the lights, etc. Maybe I should try and move it over... doesn't seem like it'd be any closer to my voice or any further away from any extra noise however.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
there are numerous settings that can be adjusted to eliminate some mic related issues - but it takes some time to find the sweet spot between mic sensitivity and speaker volume for calls, so give that a try over a couple of days of driving and see if you can get there.

This is a far better Bluetooth system than the older one, and with the settings done right, and the mic in the right location (rearview mirror/dome area is best), this should work fine.

For anyone with issues who bought from us, simply email me anytime.

We are on the 4th firmware update since release this past summer, so if you have not updated your firmware, get on it! .0046 is on the download page for Dension, but we've got 0047 if you need it.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
If the Dension bluetooth module installed in car was purchased in 2008, would it be the old one? If so, & I've also got the SiriusXM module along with the ipod connection kit.
Would the "new module" be compatible with the other stuff?
I've just learned to live with the quirks of the old system.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Regarding BT reception (trunk install) I also have issues, but if I leave the phone in the small compartment under the pcm unit it works fine.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
there are numerous settings that can be adjusted to eliminate some mic related issues - but it takes some time to find the sweet spot between mic sensitivity and speaker volume for calls, so give that a try over a couple of days of driving and see if you can get there.

This is a far better Bluetooth system than the older one, and with the settings done right, and the mic in the right location (rearview mirror/dome area is best), this should work fine.

For anyone with issues who bought from us, simply email me anytime.

We are on the 4th firmware update since release this past summer, so if you have not updated your firmware, get on it! .0046 is on the download page for Dension, but we've got 0047 if you need it.
E
how can you adjust volume and sensitivity?
c