997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Jacking point replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Jacking point replacement

Does anyone know if the jacking point is simply bolted into place, or is marked area adhesive? It does not appear to be welded.

Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
99.999% certain it is welded (at least spot welded).

Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
jack it up from the rear subframe, use that spot to put jack stands.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttpopo
I don't have a problem with finding a place to put the jacks. I'm looking to replace the jacking point.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Isnt it spot welded w body sealer over it for noise?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
For noise but based on what I've found with my cars for corrosion protection. The under body metal is painted with what feels like an epoxy based paint that is very resistant to chipping.

It is so important that the lift points be protected by something to prevent this paint from getting crushed and developing cracking. This will be an entry point for water and eventually corrosion.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by ttpopo
The only jack points/lift point are the duplicates of the one pictured. Based on my references Porsche doesn't support (no pun) lifting the car any other way, save of course, by the tires/wheels/suspension.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I don't have a problem with finding a place to put the jacks. I'm looking to replace the jacking point.
Can you elaborate as to why?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Take the car to a body shop that works on these cars. It may be possible to drill out the spot welds, remove the lifting point pad, and do the same to another car (a wreck) then weld on the new lifting point pad and repaint.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Can you elaborate as to why?
The flange is bent.

Originally Posted by Macster
Take the car to a body shop that works on these cars. It may be possible to drill out the spot welds, remove the lifting point pad, and do the same to another car (a wreck) then weld on the new lifting point pad and repaint.
Thank you for your reply. The part is a readily available replacement part, and the lift pad has a threaded insert that is bolted on the corner.

As I mentioned on my previous post, there appears to be epoxy adhesive holding the opposite corner, but the indentations look like spot welds. I have no problem drilling out a those spots, but I was hoping that someone who has done this repair could confirm that they are spot welds.

Attached Images    

Last edited by bbywu; 01-17-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
It's spot-welded and then the seam sealant is sprayed on there to stop rust. The entire area needs to cleaned (remove the paint etc..) and weld a new one on. You can buy a new piece from Porsche.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks Alex!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Thanks Alex!
You bet! I saw that happen on a 07 TT a few years ago... James reminded me!

Old 02-18-2023, 02:14 AM
Jyrki is infamous around these parts
removed

Last edited by Jyrki; 02-24-2023 at 01:06 PM.