997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgraded VTG opinion please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
Hello Nick, my best 60-130 was 5,8sec if i remember, it should be on the list :-)

Tiptronics are usually slower, faster only off the line, my car is also convertible which is more heavy

Tiptronics were slower when compairing the 996tt but the 997 model changed things I swear the stock times were faster?

Quoted from wikipedia!
"According to official Porsche figures, the 997 Turbo accelerates to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.9 seconds with the manual transmission, and 3.7 seconds with the Tiptronic S transmission."

Last edited by GTRNICK; 01-20-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I still believe that from 100-200 or 200-300 manual is faster

Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
I still believe that from 100-200 or 200-300 manual is faster

Possibly but who knows without doing a few runs side by side!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 AM
BTW what is the torque limit of the stock rods?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 AM
DARTH-VADER is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
BTW what is the torque limit of the stock rods?
I believe 900nm torque max.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
My car makes 940nm on the dyno for 3 years now :-)

Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Wow so the stock rods are pretty tough (and meant to be the weak link) if they can handle the best part of 680lbs/ft of torque

Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Well there are bunch of cars with 3076/3071 with stock engines.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by DARTH-VADER
Well there are bunch of cars with 3076/3071 with stock engines.

Yes but is the torque limited or higher up the rev range?

HP doesnt seem to be much of an issue for the stock mezger lump does it?

Last edited by GTRNICK; 01-20-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 AM
I think torque is limited because of stock rods with 3076 setup.
Torque comes with hp but after some hp torque just stops and you need more engine capacity ?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by DARTH-VADER
I think torque is limited because of stock rods with 3076 setup.
Torque comes with hp but after some hp torque just stops and you need more engine capacity ?
Well you either need more capacity or stronger components to run more boost.

I think also with more capacity you run lower egt's I think!?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
It's all relative but stock rods are not that robust in my opinion. Anything larger than vtgs like 3071/3076, I would replace rods if you want max output. Even 68 mm vtgs are probably too much. If you don't want max output with A30s then save yourself some money and stay with vtgs. People with A30s who have been pounding their stock motors for a while probably have bent rods, they just don't know it. They are living on borrowed time.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by TTdude
It's all relative but stock rods are not that robust in my opinion. Anything larger than vtgs like 3071/3076, I would replace rods if you want max output. Even 68 mm vtgs are probably too much. If you don't want max output with A30s then save yourself some money and stay with vtgs. People with A30s who have been pounding their stock motors for a while probably have bent rods, they just don't know it. They are living on borrowed time.

I have to agree with you and I think the same but I like to play advocate and see what people are doing!

It seems alot of people are running either race fuel or E85 or some sort of meth kit which would help alot!!!

I am interested in pump gas mods!!!!

What rods do you like or would go for? ( carillo, pauter what else? )

Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
With pump gas, just play it safe which is what others have said. One bad tank of gas can be detrimental if pushed too far.

As for rods, I think either Pauter or Carrillo are two main choices. Some would say Carrillo are stronger but I personally haven't seen any hard evidence about that. With Carrillo, you have to shave down the oil pump for clearance but that's no big deal because even with stock rods the oil pump is shaved (see pic below). With Pauter, no additional removal of material is necessary.

Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by TTdude
With pump gas, just play it safe which is what others have said. One bad tank of gas can be detrimental if pushed too far.

As for rods, I think either Pauter or Carrillo are two main choices. Some would say Carrillo are stronger but I personally haven't seen any hard evidence about that. With Carrillo, you have to shave down the oil pump for clearance but that's no big deal because even with stock rods the oil pump is shaved (see pic below). With Pauter, no additional removal of material is necessary.

Thats exactly what I have heard about the carillos that you have to do some extra shaving but thanks for the pic

As for pump gas I use shell v-power which is 99 ocatane and it is very good quality fuel also I am sure that the 997tt ecu is so sensitive that it will always look after the engine if no safety features are removed like some tuners do!!!!

Plus I have no intention of pushing my setup or future setups to the limit built engine or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgraded VTG opinion please