997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PCCB life on track, 997 GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM
John B is infamous around these parts
PCCB life on track, 997 GT2

I just acquired a 997 GT2 that I anticipate will end up on the track a few times. It's been a while since I had a Porsche, and I've never had one w/ PCCB. I have read a couple incidences of very short PCCB life on track, as well as a fair amount of mention of warming the brakes up I would appreciate any advice from owners regarding tracking a car w/ PCCB.

Warm up?
Life expectancy on track?
Swap them out for steel for track use??

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John B
I just acquired a 997 GT2 that I anticipate will end up on the track a few times. It's been a while since I had a Porsche, and I've never had one w/ PCCB. I have read a couple incidences of very short PCCB life on track, as well as a fair amount of mention of warming the brakes up I would appreciate any advice from owners regarding tracking a car w/ PCCB.

Warm up?
Life expectancy on track?
Swap them out for steel for track use??
I'd say you'd be fine for a few track days a year but anymore than that and they'll get pretty cooked. We use the type III steel brembo conversion like on this one:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-tu...bo-rotors.html

Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
John, what brake fluid are you running? How often are you changing it?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM
bhgt2 has a spectacular aura aboutbhgt2 has a spectacular aura about
This thread is relevant to me as we'll. I've tracked my car twice this year, pretty hard. Doing 1 more this weekend. I only service my car when it's required (once a year) and using OEM parts and fluids. Should I be worried?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I wouldn't say be "worried" but keep an eye especially on the rears as the traction control kicks in and applies brakes. The modded ones also get up to some pretty high speeds so the brakes get pretty worn If you're worried though just switch to the Type IIIs for track use.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
sell the rotors before they get eaten and trade up for some 2 piece steels and pagids!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
John B is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
John, what brake fluid are you running? How often are you changing it?
I'll be switching it to Castrol SRF and changing it annually.

I wouldn't have expected greater wear on the rears. Glad I asked!

What about what I have read about people warming up their PCCB's, does that somehow prolong life??

Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 AM
bhgt2 has a spectacular aura aboutbhgt2 has a spectacular aura about
What's the benefit of Brembo rotors over OEM cup steel rotors?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by bhgt2
What's the benefit of Brembo rotors over OEM cup steel rotors?
they're lighter two piece and slotted vs drilled. Also they have double the amount of veins for cooling.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Dont forget you can also consider the Alcon CCX upgrade now as well.
Best thing is these rotors can be resurfaced as well.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-porsche.html

Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
I'm running Castrol SRF and P50 Greens. About 6 track days a year for the last 3 years. Make sure you turn off traction control if you are pushing the car. My rear calipers are turning orange. Next colour is brown!

Last edited by TT Chris; 02-07-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TT Chris
I'm running Castrol SRF and P50 Greens. About 6 track days a year for the last 3 years. Make sure you turn off traction control if you are pushing the car. My rear calipers are turning orange. Next colour is brown!
Chris,

Do you DD the p50's or do you swap them out for track day? Don't the p50's wear out the ceramic disks faster since its a harder compound? I have a new set of p50's laying around that I haven't tried yet.. still exploring the limits of the OEM pads (they're about at 60% pad life left).

What do you mean by the calipers changing colors.. from brake dust?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 AM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stltri
Chris,

Do you DD the p50's or do you swap them out for track day? Don't the p50's wear out the ceramic disks faster since its a harder compound? I have a new set of p50's laying around that I haven't tried yet.. still exploring the limits of the OEM pads (they're about at 60% pad life left).

What do you mean by the calipers changing colors.. from brake dust?
Yes I daily drive with the greens. But only a couple months in the summer. However, I've never driven in rain. Yup it would make sense that the greens would wear out the PCCB disc quicker since they are a tougher compound. But to what degree I have no idea. OEM pads work great on the street and are "ok' for the track. If you push the car like I have they started to fade after 4 laps. Bullet racing recommended I switch to the greens and they are great on both street and best on the track. They do squeal really loud with light braking though. So if you don't want people staring at you at red lights then stick with OEM compound.

My local track is real bad for my brakes. Alot of turns and not enough straights for proper brake cooling. I will need to upgrade my rear brake ducts to GT2 ducts. Combine bad cooling with traction control and the rears get so hot the PCCB caliper changes colours.

I was told that even if you de-activate the traction control by pushing the onboard botton TC is not completely turned off. Bullet racing will be working on a switch to totally deactivate it.

Give the P50's a try. If you don't like them swap them back out after you check the wear.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TT Chris
Yes I daily drive with the greens. But only a couple months in the summer. However, I've never driven in rain. Yup it would make sense that the greens would wear out the PCCB disc quicker since they are a tougher compound. But to what degree I have no idea. OEM pads work great on the street and are "ok' for the track. If you push the car like I have they started to fade after 4 laps. Bullet racing recommended I switch to the greens and they are great on both street and best on the track. They do squeal really loud with light braking though. So if you don't want people staring at you at red lights then stick with OEM compound.

My local track is real bad for my brakes. Alot of turns and not enough straights for proper brake cooling. I will need to upgrade my rear brake ducts to GT2 ducts. Combine bad cooling with traction control and the rears get so hot the PCCB caliper changes colours.

I was told that even if you de-activate the traction control by pushing the onboard botton TC is not completely turned off. Bullet racing will be working on a switch to totally deactivate it.

Give the P50's a try. If you don't like them swap them back out after you check the wear.
I might try the p50's on my next track day.. it's a bit of a pain to swap out the pads and also to bed them (but then again, I suppose using them on the track is just as good as bedding?)

Do you already have the front ducts? Are the front or rear ducts an easy DIY? I'm intrigued by the calipers changing colors.. I've seen rotors glow red but not calipers.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by stltri
I might try the p50's on my next track day.. it's a bit of a pain to swap out the pads and also to bed them (but then again, I suppose using them on the track is just as good as bedding?)

Do you already have the front ducts? Are the front or rear ducts an easy DIY? I'm intrigued by the calipers changing colors.. I've seen rotors glow red but not calipers.
I have the OEM front ducts. They seem to work great. My rears are a problem. But you have a GT2 so I bet you already have those bigger rear ducts.