997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
I was just in the market for either a 997.1 turbo or a GTR. A buddy just got a new '13 GTR and after riding with him and driving it for a bit, I went out and bought the 911. Nicer interior, 6 speed to keep you engaged, etc etc. A GT-R is the toyota camery of sports cars, it is just an appliance of speed. The Porsche is engaging and actually fun to drive. I respect the GTR and its abilities and speed, but I prefer the driver engagement to absolute speed. Plus 997.1s can be made to make major power too..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
...Plus 997.1s can be made to make major power too..
Something, something, personal preference... and then this. WHAT?

So the many 1000HP+ GT-R's (some a LOT more) is not major power?

I'd speculate there are more 8sec GT-R's than 997's.

Of course, none of this may have any bearing on the OP's intention. I'd also speculate that the GT-R applies that power more efficiently (with greater traction and the ability to use it).

Last edited by jaspergtr; 02-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Hence the "too".
GTRs will be faster almost no matter what. But a turbo can be very very fast, and I'll take slightly slower for all the other benefits. But, just me and my opinion.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Hence the "too".
GTRs will be faster almost no matter what. But a turbo can be very very fast, and I'll take slightly slower for all the other benefits. But, just me and my opinion.
Roger.

I misunderstood the 'too' as in - another reason to choose the 997.

Instead of - the 997 can make great power, too, like the GT-R

Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
That's because they would know from experience your Porsche is better property to hold than the Nissan. I still feel if they are only paying you 15K that's not enough (imho).
Pretty funny that someone thought they would pay YOU $15k.
I would only note that with 55k miles, you actually DRIVE the car. That will challenge you with the GTR, because I can tell you it is not a comfortable daily. I tried it. It is a world apart. I'm a bit surprised that you could get out of your '07 TT and get a new GTR for $15k. The new GTR is over $100k and your TT is worth $70k privately, maybe and probably closer to $60k as a trade, if that. That's more like $40k plus to get the GTR. As an alternative, a nice CPO 2010 PDK turbo could be at $110k. You get to check out the new electronics, PDK and the DFI motor. It will feel like home, yet be very different.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
jr429 is infamous around these partsjr429 is infamous around these parts
I own both, the GTR is a heavier car that feels tighter and more in control at high speeds, the 997 turbo is a lighter car that feels a bit more connected to the road due to the smaller chassis and the lightness in both suspension and steering. Part of this is the active management that the GTR deploys in trying to manage all aspects of driving from throttle control to traction (the algorithms are quite advanced and continue to impress me) whereas the Porsche is basically unmanaged yet predictable.

The GTR's tranny clunks and rattles all the time which the Porsche does not have a problem with and the GTR pretty much is in an "aggressive" mode all the time, whereas the porsche's standard -> sport mode is a fairly large transformation, almost like having a reflash (secondary tune) with a touch of a button. The Porsche's electronics and interior is horrible, making even simple things like using navigation a chore. Also the depreciation has been (and I believe will continue to be) far less on the GTR as a function of both the price and the lower production volume. Personally I like the styling of the GTR better. I prefer the GTR over the 997 turbo, but the turbo is a very fun car, it's just a different kind of fast, you won't go wrong with either the GTR or the 997 turbo.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
jr429 is infamous around these partsjr429 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Something, something, personal preference... and then this. WHAT?

So the many 1000HP+ GT-R's (some a LOT more) is not major power?

I'd speculate there are more 8sec GT-R's than 997's.

Of course, none of this may have any bearing on the OP's intention. I'd also speculate that the GT-R applies that power more efficiently (with greater traction and the ability to use it).
What you don't see is everyone snapping their rods in half on the VR38 or putting a piston through the head. At one time I owned over 75 GTR motors, i've seen all the horror stories from the 08-09 guys breaking after 20,000 miles haha. Not sure what happens to big power porsches but the VR38 is not too happy after 700HP.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by ryem3
I would only note that with 55k miles, you actually DRIVE the car. That will challenge you with the GTR, because I can tell you it is not a comfortable daily. I tried it. It is a world apart. I'm a bit surprised that you could get out of your '07 TT and get a new GTR for $15k. The new GTR is over $100k and your TT is worth $70k privately, maybe and probably closer to $60k as a trade, if that. That's more like $40k plus to get the GTR. As an alternative, a nice CPO 2010 PDK turbo could be at $110k. You get to check out the new electronics, PDK and the DFI motor. It will feel like home, yet be very different.
Nope, the GTR is at factory invoice and my orig owner more than well maintained 997 brings in more than $70K trade. You got your numbers mixed up a bit. Maybe it depends on where on the planet you reside.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
If they're offering you over 70 trade in on a 07 turbo w/ 55k, take it and run like hell. You can buy a car like that at retail for 70 all day. Condition matters, but they are overpaying you. Sounds like a good deal from that standpoint

Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnww
Nope, the GTR is at factory invoice and my orig owner more than well maintained 997 brings in more than $70K trade. You got your numbers mixed up a bit. Maybe it depends on where on the planet you reside.
Not defending that previous post by ryem3, but...he is not too far off. If you are getting the GTR for sticker, that means it is a US$ 94,500 car...so if you are getting US$ 79,500 on trade...that is a HELL of a trade for an extremely well taken care of 997.1 with 55k miles.

I have had a 2011 GT-R...and it is a hell of a car...with it's share of little annoyances like every other car. In this side of the world...a dealer may give you $ 65k-70k on trade on a 55k mile 911 turbo...up to 75k if you have 15k miles or less...but NEVER anywhere near or close to the US$ 80k they are offering you. By the way...care to share which Nissan dealership is making that offer? Is it on a BRAND new 2013 GT-R?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
I would jump all over that deal!! Don't even think about it. I don't care how well your turbo is taken care of it has 55k miles. Mileage kills the price of a TT. I'm very surprised there giving you as much as they are. Take the brand new gtr nobody else will give you anything close to that on a trade. Good luck with whatever you do!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by jr429
What you don't see is everyone snapping their rods in half on the VR38 or putting a piston through the head. At one time I owned over 75 GTR motors, i've seen all the horror stories from the 08-09 guys breaking after 20,000 miles haha. Not sure what happens to big power porsches but the VR38 is not too happy after 700HP.
I've seen a few motors/transmissions expire when modded outside of their safety zone. But I also know that, if done properly, they can hold a good amount of power, in comfortable street trim (see: Switzer USE for reference).

OP - what year is this new GT-R? I've seen some 2011's being sold as new. This may change the value of the car, significantly. If it is a 2014, I'd say jump - quickly. If it is older (which I may have prematurely assumed), it becomes more difficult to choose.

Before anyone else asks - yes, the 2014's are being sold now. More power under the curve, 0-62mph in 2.7secs. It doesn't mean the 2013 0-60 in 2.8 is slow (0-62 in 2.9), just that the 2014 has been improved on - again.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 02-11-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Agree. The hide of them given what they are giving and what they are getting back. It should be more like @20/25K mark. The TT would be far easier to unload as well.....even if they worked for less profit.

Before anyone else asks - yes, the 2014's are being sold now. More power under the curve, 0-62mph in 2.7secs. It doesn't mean the 2013 0-60 in 2.8 is slow (0-62 in 2.9), just that the 2014 has been improved on - again.
These Nissan marketing claims are getting old. No tester over here has ever managed to get that and its not from lack of trying. Best has been 3.3 to my knowledge. Porsches 0 to 62mph claims usually always come through, and often faster. I wouldn't be buying any Nissan based on any of their marketing claims.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by speed21

These Nissan marketing claims are getting old. No tester over here has ever managed to get that and its not from lack of trying. Best has been 3.3 to my knowledge. Porsches 0 to 62mph claims usually always come through, and often faster. I wouldn't be buying any Nissan based on any of their marketing claims.
Google "2013 GT-R 0-60", first result:
Originally Posted by mototrend
Without even trying to maximize turbo spool-up or optimize gear changes, we
still manage a 2.95-second time from 0-to-60 mph, but don't quite have enough
straight track to set a usable quarter-mile time.
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2KcrbNoKB

It's so easy, a caveman can do it. When the 2014's are reviewed, I'm sure the results will be right on par as previous models.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Google "2013 GT-R 0-60", first result:

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2KcrbNoKB

It's so easy, a caveman can do it. When the 2014's are reviewed, I'm sure the results will be right on par as previous models.
I was referring to out here. Maybe we need one of those cavemen to show our testers how it's done.

Or. Maybe there is a very steep hill and a very cold day involved somewhere and a touch of high octane slipped into the tank....

To be honest i couldn't give a rats who buys one of these over a TT and i'm certainly not going to disagree that the GTR isn't a compelling performer in comparison to any TT especially when you look at the price.....but that's pretty well the start and finish of it. The rest really is worlds apart. I also understand people buy cars for all different reasons...

Once a car is off the shop floor and the novelty of the joyriding wanes, then other things come to the surface which bring home the reality to the saying you get what you pay for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons