997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
jr429 is infamous around these partsjr429 is infamous around these parts
Sorry but it is extremely unlikely the 997.1's with 50k miles are going for $70k. You can get one for low 60's / high 50's - do a search there's at least a dozen in socal right now. There are 15k mile CPO cars being offered for $79k by dealers. Flip side there's no way you can get a 2013 or 2014 GTR for $90k otd. Please tell me where, I"ll buy one too. The GTR's are all north of $100k OTD, and the 997.1's with high mileage is all south of $65k, there is absolutely a $35k spread, at least. More like $40k realistically.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM
jr429 is infamous around these partsjr429 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speed21
I also understand people buy cars for all different reasons...

Once a car is off the shop floor and the novelty of the joyriding wanes, then other things come to the surface which bring home the reality to the saying you get what you pay for.
This makes a lot of sense, but if you're saying the the 997 TT is a better daily driver I cannot agree. The porsche sits lower, I hit the front end all the time, getting in and out with coffee is much more of a pain, I can fit 2 golf clubs or 8 rifles in the back of the GTR (and basically fit nothing in the porsche) and the cup holders leave a lot to be desired, I won't even talk about the stereo, the GTRs is not great (my Hyundai is the best haha) but the porsche's is a joke. Granted my wife and I don't put more than 4k miles on either car on an annual basis, but while it is true the 997 TT is a much more comfortable car cruising down the freeway, having owned quite a few cars on pillowball coilovers I cannot say the GTR is substantially worse. Both the 997 tt and gtr are fantastic cars, yet each making tradeoffs and compromises in difference directions.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jr429
This makes a lot of sense, but if you're saying the the 997 TT is a better daily driver I cannot agree. The porsche sits lower, I hit the front end all the time, getting in and out with coffee is much more of a pain, I can fit 2 golf clubs or 8 rifles in the back of the GTR (and basically fit nothing in the porsche) and the cup holders leave a lot to be desired, I won't even talk about the stereo, the GTRs is not great (my Hyundai is the best haha) but the porsche's is a joke. Granted my wife and I don't put more than 4k miles on either car on an annual basis, but while it is true the 997 TT is a much more comfortable car cruising down the freeway, having owned quite a few cars on pillowball coilovers I cannot say the GTR is substantially worse. Both the 997 tt and gtr are fantastic cars, yet each making tradeoffs and compromises in difference directions.
That's fine. Still say performance is the only real comparable point between these 2. But to each his own... Let every man be able to pick his own poison...

Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
That "new car" smell is pretty enticing!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Sorry but it is extremely unlikely the 997.1's with 50k miles are going for $70k. You can get one for low 60's / high 50's - do a search there's at least a dozen in socal right now. There are 15k mile CPO cars being offered for $79k by dealers. Flip side there's no way you can get a 2013 or 2014 GTR for $90k otd. Please tell me where, I"ll buy one too. The GTR's are all north of $100k OTD, and the 997.1's with high mileage is all south of $65k, there is absolutely a $35k spread, at least. More like $40k realistically.
Glad to hear someone else who lives where I do - on planet earth

No intention to offend the OP, whenever you deflate someone's sense of trade in worth, it always hits a sensitive chord. No offense. Even if that was an '07 with a $145k sticker, there's no way you get a TRADE IN value of $80k (retail for a car with 20k). And then we have the GTR at $100k. Unless you've found a "new" 2012.

Bottom line suggested by others - If you have an '07 with 55k and can get a brand new 2014 GTR, run don't walk to that dealer and bring $15k in 100's. That is a screaming deal. You can sell the GTR in a year for $90k and be a rock star.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
The two 07 TTs with 53K/55K miles on cars.com for the entire US right now are listed at $66K/$73K respectively. And both are listed by dealers which means they paid less than that for it in trade. I doubt you can get $80K on an 07 with 55K miles.

That's a steal of a deal. The GTRs hold value very well. I would do it in a heartbeat regardless of what you end up deciding. If you end up wanting the Porsche, trade that brand new GTR for a used 09 TT, upgraded PCM, very low miles (10K-ish) straight up.

Regarding your comment about the Turbo S... the only difference between the Turbo and the Turbo S is software. So you could if you wanted get a '10 TT with PDK and a tune, and there's your Turbo S.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
GT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of light
You get what u pay for !!!!

German engineering vs Japenese technology??

Porsche racing wins vs Nissan racing wins?

A true drivers car vs a video game simulator?

The GTR is a good car but the turbo is at another level when it cones to quality, durability, design, and history.

Finally, let's take a stock GTR vs stock Turbo and do 20 hard laps at a track and the answer will be clear.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
or denial...
well said..

Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
There are few more options that come standard on an S beyond software, e.g. PCCB, carbon air box, etc...

Not implying the significant gap in MSRP is worth it but there is a difference.

To the OP, tough decision...if you don't feel it don't do it. Two quality cars with great performance. Good luck

Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I'd keep the turbo , it's just a better car.
Which car would push 200k miles??
The answer is clear, I would hesitate to own a gtr off warranty.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT32

German engineering, huh? Like the coolant pipe leaks that plague the GT1 engine even after a decade of complaints? Or the clutch slave failures that continue to fail regularly? Or RMS leaks? Do you want me to go on?

The GTR is a good car but the turbo is at another level when it cones to quality, durability, design, and history.
Quality. Right. Lets use adhesive glue to hold together high temperature pipes that hold coolant that can lead to a loss of rear traction when spilled over the tarmac on a turn.

Finally, let's take a stock GTR vs stock Turbo and do 20 hard laps at a track and the answer will be clear.
Are you suggesting there is a durability problem with prolonged tracking of the GT-R? It won its class for 24 hours of Nurburgring with a completely stock vehicle...I wonder why Porsche didn't supply a 997 GT2 to compete in SP8T, lol.

Last edited by bbywu; 02-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute

Porsche racing wins vs Nissan racing wins?

A true drivers car vs a video game simulator?

Gotta disagree with these comments
engineering?? the gtr beats the turbo s in pretty much EVERY performance category around every track while lugging around an extra 800lb and in a 75k cheaper package. give the nissan engineers another 75k to work with on the price and the tt would not even smell the gtr exhaust around a track!

Porsche racing does beat nissan racing but THIS nissan beats THIS porsche EVERY day of the week. Even the most hardcore variants of the 911 cant beat the gtr around the ring

Porsche is def more of a drivers car

Porsche is def better quality but for 75k more thats a wash imo

Porsche will last longer around the track because of weight and again the ability to use better equipment for extra 75k

Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM
correction, the 250,000 gt2 rs does beat the gtr around the ring my 1.1 seconds!! it weighs a full 900lb less, it has 70 more hp, cost 150,000 more and you get 1 sec after almost 13 miles!! Not bad for a bunch of sentra engineers...... fyi the turbo is only 21sec slower than the gtr around the ring, not bad

Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I'd keep the turbo , it's just a better car.
Which car would push 200k miles??
The answer is clear, I would hesitate to own a gtr off warranty.
What's bad/sad about the GTR and Turbo S (turbo S has a price issue too) is the auto-manual trans. Seems like an auto-trans in a super sports car is waste for street driving. I've been in Panamera and 911s with pdks and now this GTR and total bore. Shame GTR doesn't come with manual-manual. My main reason for not trading for a turbo S sometime ago was the lack luster pdk. Probably won't be long before a manual will not be an option which will be a shame.

I don't know about that push to 200K miles. My turbo came apart big-time just as the factory warranty expired, so I thought it best to renew my 2-yr extended EasyCare total coverage for another 3-years.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
German engineering, huh? Like the coolant pipe leaks that plague the GT1 engine even after a decade of complaints? Or the clutch slave failures that continue to fail regularly? Or RMS leaks? Do you want me to go on?

Quality. Right. Lets use adhesive glue to hold together high temperature pipes that hold coolant that can lead to a loss of rear traction when spilled over the tarmac on a turn.

Are you suggesting there is a durability problem with prolonged tracking of the GT-R? It won its class for 24 hours of Nurburgring with a completely stock vehicle...I wonder why Porsche didn't supply a 997 GT2 to compete in SP8T, lol.
Sounds to me like it's time to make a change Bob? LOL. Maybe see what they offer on the GT2? Maybe between you and John you can get a bulk deal...

Furthermore to my last reply. I would agree there are no bad choices here. It comes down to what you are looking for and what you consider compromises. One is an iconic thoroughbred sportscar, the other more of a sports sedan/coupe that has a lot of power and engineering.

As you point out, the GTR is more of a step in step out type vehicle where you can get in, eat your lunch, drink your coffee without spilling it, throw your stuff in the boot etc whereas the TT you have to bend down to get into it and it gives that real sportscar feel in comparison....much more connected. As i said previously, it really gets down to what you are looking for in a car. If you need something with a higher seating position and a boot then no sense getting a 911. Save your money. I still say performance is the only real comparable feature going on here between these two. Quality, fit and finish, and branding are all separate issues.....but i'm not going there...

Last edited by speed21; 02-11-2013 at 10:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons