997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Sounds to me like it's time to make a change Bob? LOL. Maybe see what they offer on the GT2?
Take a better look at my sig.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Take a better look at my sig.
Nice. What are you waiting for?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PSTT07
There are few more options that come standard on an S beyond software, e.g. PCCB, carbon air box, etc...

Not implying the significant gap in MSRP is worth it but there is a difference.
Yup, but OP in his post said turbo S 'power'. As far as I know, just in terms of pure performance, it's a software difference only.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
I'll just leave this here:

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jr429
Sorry but it is extremely unlikely the 997.1's with 50k miles are going for $70k. You can get one for low 60's / high 50's - do a search there's at least a dozen in socal right now. There are 15k mile CPO cars being offered for $79k by dealers. Flip side there's no way you can get a 2013 or 2014 GTR for $90k otd. Please tell me where, I"ll buy one too. The GTR's are all north of $100k OTD, and the 997.1's with high mileage is all south of $65k, there is absolutely a $35k spread, at least. More like $40k realistically.
A good friend got a 2013 OTD for 90k last week. Brought it over to show it off the day it arrived. Ebay bid through a dealer up north...

And I don't know why these heated debates rage on. Everyone has different things they want out of a sports car. I've been in enough GTR's, including mod'd ones, to know that I love them (even the styling).... but look in my garage and you will find a 997tt. I was looking for something different than the GTR had to offer. It's not the same for my friend or anyone else for that matter.

Last edited by thackl; 02-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kpt6
I'll just leave this here:
Times change.

... I'll just leave that response here.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 AM
GT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=bbywu;3766636]German engineering, huh? Like the coolant pipe leaks that plague the GT1 engine even after a decade of complaints? Or the clutch slave failures that continue to fail regularly? Or RMS leaks? Do you want me to go on?

Quality. Right. Lets use adhesive glue to hold together high temperature pipes that hold coolant that can lead to a loss of rear traction when spilled over the tarmac on a turn.

Are you suggesting there is a durability problem with prolonged tracking of the GT-R? It won its class for 24 hours of Nurburgring with a completely stock vehicle...I wonder why Porsche didn't supply a 997 GT2 to compete in SP8T, lol

How quickly we forget blown transmissions, obverheating engines, launch controls that void warranty??? One win in 24 hour Nurburgring and suddenly its better than Porsche and there records?? I would offer the OP the advice of waiting for the 991 turbo as this will be another level above the GTR and it will be the new benchmark!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Times change.

... I'll just leave that response here.
Right but you would insist that a 09 GTR would be a better call than a 991 TT, 458, or a veyron. Point is you are a GTR fan through and through.
Well if you didnt say the GTR was better you will say its a better value.

What you don't seem to get is that no one cares that you can slap a 2000000000 hp sticker on the side of your car, very few people are into what number they can get, they want performance and fun.

People like a porsche because of the heritage of the car. You cant explain that to someone that is into something that just showed up.

Then you act like the GTR is just blowing the 911 away. I'll trade a couple car lengths and a few seconds at a track 1 of 1000000 will ever race at for what the Porsche gives any day of the week.
Also you do know that a 997.1 is "old" compared to your high HP GTR yet its right with it most of the time.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
German engineering, huh? Like the coolant pipe leaks that plague the GT1 engine even after a decade of complaints? Or the clutch slave failures that continue to fail regularly? Or RMS leaks? Do you want me to go on?

Quality. Right. Lets use adhesive glue to hold together high temperature pipes that hold coolant that can lead to a loss of rear traction when spilled over the tarmac on a turn.

Are you suggesting there is a durability problem with prolonged tracking of the GT-R? It won its class for 24 hours of Nurburgring with a completely stock vehicle...I wonder why Porsche didn't supply a 997 GT2 to compete in SP8T, lol.
You are aware that the factory teams use those SAME crap coolant pipes in a stock form? So obviously Porsche doesnt see the need to change it.

The ring? Can we please stop using a track none of us or a tiny percentage will ever even see, to prop up any car.

Its simply comes down to a fork in the road, do you want to take the route of a car that a NASA robot would design? Or do you want one that a human would design?

I don't understand why we even argue about the cars, they are so different. The end numbers are pretty close but the experience getting there is completely different.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Right but you would insist that a 09 GTR would be a better call than a 991 TT, 458, or a veyron. Point is you are a GTR fan through and through.
Well if you didnt say the GTR was better you will say its a better value.

What you don't seem to get is that no one cares that you can slap a 2000000000 hp sticker on the side of your car, very few people are into what number they can get, they want performance and fun.

People like a porsche because of the heritage of the car. You cant explain that to someone that is into something that just showed up.

Then you act like the GTR is just blowing the 911 away. I'll trade a couple car lengths and a few seconds at a track 1 of 1000000 will ever race at for what the Porsche gives any day of the week.
Also you do know that a 997.1 is "old" compared to your high HP GTR yet its right with it most of the time.
I'm not sure why you chose my post to respond to, as I'm not sure what you're referencing (perhaps some other issue related to cars).

What my post replied to is that if you were to ask children ages 10 and under (and even 30 and under) which car they would love to own, and I think you'll be surprised at the response. I've been approached from any people saying how I have their dream car (literally hundreds of people), and are completely amazed when I have an opportunity to let them either drive it, or ride in it.

My 911 (996) went practically unnoticed, while the GT-R (4 1/2 years old) still garners a lot of attention - my wife took it to school last week, and one of the teachers (woman) asked if she could bring it back so she can take pics. We still come out from particular destinations, to find people taking pictures of the car, making (mostly) positive comments.

People like the GT-R because of the GT-R's of the past, it's legacy that finally arrived at the states, once only experienced in fantasy simulators, now can be experienced in real life. You can't explain that to someone who uses heritage as a reference to buy something new.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I'm not sure why you chose my post to respond to, as I'm not sure what you're referencing (perhaps some other issue related to cars).

What my post replied to is that if you were to ask children ages 10 and under (and even 30 and under) which car they would love to own, and I think you'll be surprised at the response. I've been approached from any people saying how I have their dream car (literally hundreds of people), and are completely amazed when I have an opportunity to let them either drive it, or ride in it.

My 911 (996) went practically unnoticed, while the GT-R (4 1/2 years old) still garners a lot of attention - my wife took it to school last week, and one of the teachers (woman) asked if she could bring it back so she can take pics. We still come out from particular destinations, to find people taking pictures of the car, making (mostly) positive comments.

People like the GT-R because of the GT-R's of the past, it's legacy that finally arrived at the states, once only experienced in fantasy simulators, now can be experienced in real life. You can't explain that to someone who uses heritage as a reference to buy something new.
Please tell me you are kidding.....

Kid coming up to you? Were you wearing your white t-shirt and leather jacket like Vin Diesel? Please tell me you know what got the "Skyline" heritage started.
Kids come up to you because of video games and movies.

I don't want a 10 year old coming up to me, even though a few have whispered to their dad "thats a turbo" Or the little girl in the SUV that looked over and her jaw feel open and just stared. Cool but I dont want people looking at me for the car. I want to enjoy it.

I must be old though... I thought the first Gtr was a family sedan...

Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Squat
Please tell me you are kidding.....

Kid coming up to you? Were you wearing your white t-shirt and leather jacket like Vin Diesel? Please tell me you know what got the "Skyline" heritage started.
Kids come up to you because of video games and movies.

I don't want a 10 year old coming up to me, even though a few have whispered to their dad "thats a turbo" Or the little girl in the SUV that looked over and her jaw feel open and just stared. Cool but I dont want people looking at me for the car. I want to enjoy it.

I must be old though... I thought the first Gtr was a family sedan...
Interesting. First Skyline. The GT-R had quite a few differences (even down to the reasoning of embossing of the word Skyline on certain models).

Yup. Everyone between children at school bus stops on my way to work, and their grandparents have said nice things about the cars I have, but the most attention goes to the GT-R. Women at my wife's school, to men at the Best Buy parking lot. Lights, even scary paparazzi style photos while driving.

If you want to go unnoticed, then maybe the 911 is the better choice. It is more understated, and blends in as a daily driver (only a little more).

I'm not sure where this is coming from. You seem pretty upset about something...

Last edited by jaspergtr; 02-12-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thackl
A good friend got a 2013 OTD for 90k last week.
How many miles? Let's see a scan of that bill of sale
2012's are on the market for mid 80's and more.

If the OP is still around he should dive on that GTR so he can suffer with one the way I did! The TT and GTR are a matter of personal preference and it does go without saying that a $140k car should be more than a $100k car. If you want room for golf clubs and getting in with coffee, I highly recommend a Maserati Gran Sport or Aston Martin, much better for arriving at the country club. If you've ever driven in a GTR, you'd know you can get in with the coffee, but you'd never dare drink any unless you want to feel it spilling in your lap!
Oh, and I quickly got tired of having people iPhone video me while driving the GTR on the highway. Now people just think I'm just another ***** driving a Porsche!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
I have a good friend in Dallas that just bought a 2013 for 90k OTD too.... if your friend is Tom, you left out a few major details. Like that it was a used car. Yes, only 800 miles, but he was the second private title holder, and the 2014s just came out, hence he got a good deal on a 'year old' used but essentially brand new car.

They're both great cars and bickering wont do anything. Personal preference is personal. I know what my choice was, others make other choices. Both cars, we can all agree, are good vehicles.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Golf clubs fit in the passenger seat just fine. Also have never had problems w/cup holders. They may not hold your 72oz big gulp but they hold 12oz soda and red bulls with no problem.

You can fit a ton of stuff in the rear seat area. Loaded mine up with two carts full of groceries a few weeks ago.

If you really need more you can get a roof rack

Last edited by djben; 02-12-2013 at 07:33 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons