997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
You are aware that the factory teams use those SAME crap coolant pipes in a stock form? So obviously Porsche doesnt see the need to change it.
GT3R/RS/RSR series cars - threaded.

The ring? Can we please stop using a track none of us or a tiny percentage will ever even see, to prop up any car.
The example of the ring wasn't for the sake of where it was tracked, or what the time was - it was to demonstrate that in stock form, the GT-R endured one of the harshest conditions in real world competition.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 02-12-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Oh, and I quickly got tired of having people iPhone video me while driving the GTR on the highway. Now people just think I'm just another ***** driving a Porsche!

Yeah, the attention thing requires patience. Definitely not for everyone, and it isn't always positive attention (i.e. somebody that wants to race on a public road, etc...). Sometimes I just want to fill up and be on my way, or enjoy my drive without being stalked.

My family has accepted the fact that sometimes putting the grocery cart away may yield a 15 minute conversation.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT32
How quickly we forget blown transmissions, obverheating engines, launch controls that void warranty??? One win in 24 hour Nurburgring and suddenly its better than Porsche and there records?? I would offer the OP the advice of waiting for the 991 turbo as this will be another level above the GTR and it will be the new benchmark!!!
Please show me an example of a recent GT-R that has a blown transmission or had its warranty voided. The problems from the first model year have not spanned an entire generation like they have in the 996TT, GT2, GT3, 997 GT2, GT3, GT3RS, TT. With well over a decade of use, the same problems that plague the GT1 engine still exist. On this forum alone, more people have had coolant pipe blow outs than all GT-R transmissions blown combined.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes, but keep in mind those that visit and post on internet forums are a very small percentage of owners (either mark). The coolant line or tranny 'issue' could be very rare, or conversely widespread. Unless one has internal Porsche warranty data, nobody knows for sure. I wouldn't condemn either Porsche or Nissan based on anecdotal internet data.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
even scary paparazzi style photos while driving.

If you want to go unnoticed, then maybe the 911 is the better choice. It is more understated, and blends in as a daily driver (only a little more).
Another reason I chose a neutral color 997tt. Most can't really tell a Turbo from a Cayman and I don't want the attention where I live and work. The "car guys" know what it is and I'm always happy to talk with them. With that said, it would be cool sometime to rent a Lambo in some other place (I don't live) and see what its like to drive around in a rolling freak show with photos being taken, etc. Might be fun for a weekend, then get old?

Last edited by thackl; 02-12-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
P-car Fan is infamous around these parts
If you plan on doing lots of modding I'd go with the GT-R, but if you will be DD'ing it I'd go with the 911tt. I was in this same boat a few months ago, and went with a '13 turbo instead of a '13GT-R and haven't once regretted my decision after over 5,000 miles of driving since October
You can see in my sig the 1/4 ET and trap speed I've already done, and this was the first and only time I've been to the track. There was a modded '09 GT-R there that same night, he ran a 10.8 best (intake, midpipe, tune, LC5).

Last edited by P-car Fan; 02-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
jr429 is infamous around these partsjr429 is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure why this is turning into a Nissan versus Porsche debate... The OP asked about the 997 T/T (an older car) versus the Nissan GTR (a newer car). I'm certain the 991 T/T will absolutely destroy the R35 GTR forcing Nissan to come up with something new. Lets keep in mind the GTR was launched as a halo $75k car and loss leader, the 997 turbo was always a 6 figure car and a money maker for Porsche. Judging from the 4S and Panamera turbo prices the 991tt will probably be close to DOUBLE the price of a GTR. Certainly that extra money while not necessarily getting the best value will get you more car.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Interesting. First Skyline. The GT-R had quite a few differences (even down to the reasoning of embossing of the word Skyline on certain models).

Yup. Everyone between children at school bus stops on my way to work, and their grandparents have said nice things about the cars I have, but the most attention goes to the GT-R. Women at my wife's school, to men at the Best Buy parking lot. Lights, even scary paparazzi style photos while driving.

If you want to go unnoticed, then maybe the 911 is the better choice. It is more understated, and blends in as a daily driver (only a little more).

I'm not sure where this is coming from. You seem pretty upset about something...
No just if someone said wow that mailbox looks like its Porsche Basalt black, you would say no way its Nissan jet black and it looks way better.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
GT3R/RS/RSR series cars - threaded.

The example of the ring wasn't for the sake of where it was tracked, or what the time was - it was to demonstrate that in stock form, the GT-R endured one of the harshest conditions in real world competition.
According to a guy that builds and drives them Geoff at ASG the same thing is on the stock cars.
Should porsche cover it? Yes, just like Toyota should cover it when someone tries to tow based on the tundra pulling the space shuttle, but they wont.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
BaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant future
Gtr is boring to drive

Love my 997tt 6spd 800hp
Gtr 1000hp being sold come spring

Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
OP-reading comments, looks like GTR is just another low price super fast bad-boy racer like vette, mustang, etc. New to that club is GTR's AWD. My M3s were getting drawn slowly into this bb-racer club. I guess you gotta pay the price to stay with a world-class sports car to avoid getting trapped in this frenzy of buying the lowest cost super car available which could gain owner little but membership in bb-racer club. Porsche, however, is getting a bit ridiculous....I may have to join bb-c if prices continue to rise over their already rather-high 2013 prices. Really don't mind the new car price, it's the absurd Porsche-depreciation that makes porsche ownership a bit disappointing. Looks like Merc C63 AMG will have AWD for '14 bringing on another upscale GT-contender for the <3.5 sec 0-60 club.

Last edited by johnww; 02-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 PM
jr429 is infamous around these partsjr429 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnww
OP-reading comments, looks like GTR is just another low price super fast bad-boy racer like vette, mustang, etc. New to the club is GTR's AWD. My M3s were getting drawn slowly into this bb-racer club. I guess you gotta pay the price to stay with a world-class sports car to avoid getting trapped in this frenzy of buying the lowest cost super car available which could gain owner little but membership in bb-racer club. Porsche, however, is getting a bit ridiculous....I may have to join bb-c if prices continue to rise over their already rather-high 2013 prices. Really don't mind the new car price, it's the absurd Porsche-depreciation that makes porsche ownership a bit disappointing. Looks like Merc C63 AMG will have AWD for '14 bringing on another upscale GT-contender for the <3.5 sec 0-60 club.
Dude, are you upset because you are $40k away from a 2014 GTR? :P I understand this is a Porsche community but you have to give credit where credit is due, the GTR absolutely is a world-class sports car backed by the muscle and know-how of a major automaker willing to produce a subsidized halo car whereas the 997 turbo is also a world-class sports car with a phenomenal racing heritage built by a car company that has what I believe is the highest margin of any major car company in the world.

If depreciation is your primary concern, pickup a used 2013 GTR - I picked up my GTR with 6000 miles on it for a great price I swear I can sell it for even money sans sales tax, nothing like the **** eating depreciation I experienced with my AMG car. Of course how much of that lack of depreciating is caused by a deflating dollar coupled with insanely low govt-backed used car finance rates I don't know.

Be calm man, both car are fantastic cars able to be enjoyed by less than 1% of the population - you cannot go wrong with either....

Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
... Looks like Merc C63 AMG will have AWD for '14 bringing on another upscale GT-contender for the <3.5 sec 0-60 club.
This is big news for me. Thanks!

Looks like I have some research to do.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by Squat
No just if someone said wow that mailbox looks like its Porsche Basalt black, you would say no way its Nissan jet black and it looks way better.
You may have me confused with every member that posted in this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...alt-black.html

I have no idea what the relevance of your comment to the topic was anyway.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by awesome82
ill add my 2 cents here not that it matters

I own a GTR.. (Fully built) and my brother has a 997 turbo 6 speed, so i drive both very often

My gtr, was never stock, from the day i bought it it made 650wheel so not a great comparison. Porsche was stock when we got it

Porsche is by far more fun to drive with the 6 speed. Feels like a go-kart compared to the gtr.

The GTR is effortless to drive and constantly needs alot of power to give you a thrill. (hence why my gtr make WELL over 1k wheel now and run 8s in the 1/4) It does all this with retaining stock driveability. The 997 now makes 650wheel but needs alil bit of aq heavy clutch to do so IMO.. Not bad at all just a point.

Performance wise, a gtr will def be much better then what you currently have. Add a tune to it and its game over

both great cars...the 997 will give you more of a thrill.. GTR is a great car and does it effortlessly
The OP won't get any better feedback than this. I have a love/hate relationship with the GTR as I have friends with them and have driven them. On one day I *might* want one for a short time but there is no way I'd be satisfied with a stock one and I just know for a fact that I'd tire of the transmission, no matter how precise and fast it is. I would hold onto your 997TT and add a few mods if I were you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons