997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
OP - only a couple people in here own both (or have owned both), so most of the opinions you are going to get are based on conjecture, bias and ignorance. I own both, and love both. I love the Porsche because I love its looks, the solid feel, the overall build quality and the 6-speed tranny. I love GT-Rs because I also love their looks, love their performance and mod-ability, and their technology.

No, GT-Rs are not boring at all. The just don't have manual transmissions, but neither do any cars with dual-clutch or automatic trannys. I hope to keep both my Porsche and GT-R (unless I sell both and I follow Bob's plan and pick up a MP4-12C), but if I had to choose only one, I 'think' it would be the GT-R due to it's overall combination of drivability and performance and very high power levels. But truthfully, that would be a very difficult decision to make and could literally go either way depending on which day it is.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-13-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM
p997tts is infamous around these parts
Refreshing to get a fair and balanced view on both cars. Always struck me as rather odd how the GT-R can be so polarizing. It has caused Porsche and others to raise their game big-time, so I am thankful for that.

Divexxtreme - I got to see a couple Pearl White GT-R like yours in person for the first time over the weekend. I liked it better than I thought I would, great color for that car.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
OP - only a couple people in here own both (or have owned both), so most of the opinions you are going to get are based on conjecture, bias and ignorance. I own both, and love both. I love the Porsche because I love its looks, the solid feel, the overall build quality and the 6-speed tranny. I love GT-Rs because I also love their looks, love their performance and mod-ability, and their technology.
^^^ Listen to this man. I'm one of the lucky ones that have the pleasure of owning both, the GTR is stupid fast with a few mods, handles well (newer model > MY13) but it still feels big when you pilot it vs the 911TT and it's NOT a DD for most of us. It's rough, brakes squeak, random noises from cabin, noise suspension but it gets lots of unwanted attention. It's a perfect for a 2nd or 3rd car but cant compete with the build quality of the 911TT.

Op: If the Nissan dealership gives you good money for your 911TT, you may want to trade it for the GTR, spend time with her until the new 991TT comes out and trade the GTR towards the 991TT (you wont lose much money at all with the GTR). GL with your decision.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Porsche gets tail at the club!! GTR looks like someone's mom is coming to pick up their kids...( Unless you track these cars,who cares about these insane HP #s. 50 years in the making or 5. I'll take the 50 everytime....

Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MIkeGTS
Porsche gets tail at the club!! GTR looks like someone's mom is coming to pick up their kids...( Unless you track these cars,who cares about these insane HP #s. 50 years in the making or 5. I'll take the 50 everytime....
For those that have no idea what a GT-R is, this what you get.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
For those that have no idea what a GT-R is, this what you get.
Lol, exactly.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Its a Nissan , enough said

Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM
And Porsches are Volkswagens. If you want to own a brand that impresses people, buy a Ferrari.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-13-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
And Porsches are Volkswagens. If you want to own a brand that impresses people, buy a Ferrari.
You mean a Fiat?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Looks to me like this thread is at the pointy end of the business for johnw.
So johnyw what is it? A VW/Porsche, a Fiat/Ferrari or a Datsun/Nissan.
Don't leave us all in suspense now. You've had ample time to chew it over..

Or was this entire thread an ambit?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
I've really come to like the GT-R, my buddy has a wicked street GT-R and bought the Cobb time trail GT-R. I like them both. Here is a pic of me pushing him around T5 at Miller.

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by AudiBull
You mean a Fiat?
Great point!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I think they're all cool cars, personally I'd consider keeping the 997tt or even upgrading to a newer/ lesser mile 997tt.
GL

Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 AM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
IMHO, Buy whatever you like. Unless you are just just going for a HP number drive both and buy which ever one you want. I have most of the cars in this discussion and I ended up with the Porsche. I can see in my future a McLaren though. Not because it is fast or handles great but because I like it. I sure wouldn't buy a car just because everybody else likes it.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Screw it, buy a mustang. Then nobody will like you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons