997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trading '07 turbo for new GTR, pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Screw it, buy a mustang. Then nobody will like you
Better sportscar value and better looking than GTR IMO. I think the Boss302 might be better looking than my 911??

Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
jr429 is infamous around these partsjr429 is infamous around these parts
Hahah if going domestic for $100k I was thinking viper. Make sure it's bright orange though.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thackl
Better sportscar value and better looking than GTR IMO. I think the Boss302 might be better looking than my 911??
I disagree with both of these.

Although I'm a fan of the new GT500, it has its limits. The Boss would certainly be fun, but there are drawbacks.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Isn't the GT500 like $60k new? So considerably cheaper than either car?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jr429
Isn't the GT500 like $60k new? So considerably cheaper than either car?
Yes... And is a GREAT value, but I feel it is not as capable (based on my personal experience), regardless of preference.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
A friend has the new GT500. It's really good value and quite fun, but it just can't put the power down. Any heavy throttle application ends with spinning tires. And who wants to baby the throttle when you've got 650 hp?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by speed21
Looks to me like this thread is at the pointy end of the business for johnw.
So johnyw what is it? A VW/Porsche, a Fiat/Ferrari or a Datsun/Nissan.
Don't leave us all in suspense now. You've had ample time to chew it over..

Or was this entire thread an ambit?
Went by dealer to make deal today. But this time insisted I needed to drive the '13 pearl-white GTR-beast. Getting some alone time with the car was not easy to get OK'd.
GTR seemed monsterous compared to my 997.1 and with tons of wt up front. Seemed unbalanced....no where even close to my 997 turbo in handling fast/furious driving around town. Just too heavy of a car to be jerking in/out of traffic. Did not like the auto-manual.....using a floor gear shift gives much more speed control and speed awareness than flipping small levers on the steering wheel. Driver seat sits exceptionally low even with max up which I guess could be fixed.
Pricing came out fine. A few months back, I remember I was going to trade for a '12-CVS coupe with the SC vette engine....after driving that, I felt the same as driving this GTR (except GTR has AWD and faster acceleration) , i.e., couldn't wait to get back in my p-turbo.

Last edited by johnww; 02-14-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
what's invoice? I think I need stop by the Nissan dealer - no dealer in Socal was willing to budge off MSRP when I checked earlier last year... Where abouts in FL are you?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
Went by dealer to make deal today. But this time insisted I needed to drive the '13 pearl-white GTR-beast. Getting some alone time with the car was not easy to get OK'd.
GTR seemed monsterous compared to my 997.1 and with tons of wt up front. Seemed unbalanced....no where even close to my 997 turbo in handling fast/furious driving around town. Just too heavy of a car to be jerking in/out of traffic. Did not like the auto-manual.....using a floor gear shift gives much more speed control and speed awareness than flipping small levers on the steering wheel. Driver seat sits exceptionally low even with max up which I guess could be fixed.
Pricing came out fine. They came down to $200 over dealer invoice. A few months back, I remember I was going to trade for a '12-CVS coupe with the SC vette engine....after driving that, I felt the same as driving this GTR (except GTR has AWD and faster acceleration) , i.e., couldn't wait to get back in my p-turbo.
So what about the GTR? Did the test drive excite you enough to make the shift or did it blow you totally cold?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 AM
Pricing came out fine. A few months back, I remember I was going to trade for a '12-CVS coupe with the SC vette engine....after driving that, I felt the same as driving this GTR (except GTR has AWD and faster acceleration) , i.e., couldn't wait to get back in my p-turbo.
It's good that you had an opportunity to drive it. I'm also a little concerned how this happened (the test drive).

BUT - if you have a preference of a nose/happy car, I still (just like back on page 1 of this thread) recommend holding on to your 997.1, and waiting until later this year until the 991 Turbo comes out (unless finances aren't prepared, of course this is a personal decision).

Thanks for posting your review!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by speed21
So what about the GTR? Did the test drive excite you enough to make the shift or did it blow you totally cold?
Not totally cold, its no Porsche turbo, but it's fast, stops quick but O so heavy to maneuver in traffic. Will give the paddle wheels another try tomorrow which for me is its main shortcoming. Manual shifting seems to keep my mind more on power and safety limitations of the car especially in traffic situations. This is a '13, guess the '14s are a bit lighter with more HP.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Not totally cold, its no Porsche turbo, but it's fast, stops quick but O so heavy to maneuver in traffic. Will give the paddle wheels another try tomorrow which for me is its main shortcoming. Manual shifting seems to keep my mind more on power and safety limitations of the car especially in traffic situations. This is a '13, guess the '14s are a bit lighter with more HP.
'14's are same weight, same max HP.

If shifting is the deal breaker, no use in pursuing it. If you are shifting manually, I recommend putting the transmission in 'R' mode (switch on left).

If you are used to the nose light Turbo, and get right into the relatively nose heavy GT-R, that may change your perception of balance (they are on different ends of that spectrum).

What should be different is the application of traction during/after cornering - your use of traction control or throttle inputs may vary your experience.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
I can see in my future a McLaren though. Not because it is fast or handles great but because I like it. I sure wouldn't buy a car just because everybody else likes it.

have you seen the baby McLaren coming out? 2014 Baby!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
if i'm the OP i'll mod the current car say around 650-700 to the wheels or more that will be a super fun street car.