997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GTR over a 911 turbo or gt3 rs..cant decide...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
This may seem like a dumb idea but if you really wanted the 8400 rpm NA engine, could you change the suspension components to be more street friendly?

I personally am going for the Turbo after looking at the 3 cars mentioned above in addition to the Carrera GTS. I currently have a 997.1 C2S and use it 100% on the street. The GTS was not enough of a power bump, GT3 isn't practical as a DD (for me) and the GTR is really not my cup of tea after driving a 911 for 3 years. I felt the Turbo's handling was a little sloppier/softer than my C2S but the power is insane! My car felt slow after riding in the Turbo for an hour!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM
randomize is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
On a track:

The GT3 is a precision weapon that requires finesse and perfect car control. It rewards the effort and skill of the driver with amazing lap times. The reason they are so prized is that, to a driver who enjoys pushing himself and his skill, getting a GT3 to go perfectly is a lifelong challenge and the ultimate rewarding experience.

The GTR is a semi-blunt instrument. With all the nannies on, it makes **** poor drivers into DE champions. Turn them all off and you get a better experience, but you still know that computers are doing much of the work for you. It is rewarding in its own way, part of it being outright speed, but it does not have the same raw edge and danger feel of the GT3. The car will cover your mistakes, and many track guys hate that.

On the street:

The GT3 is rough, and all the suspension tuning that makes it perfect on track makes it uncomfortable on the street. You can live with it if the passion is there for its track capability, and many people do, but it is not you wife's BMW if you get what I'm saying. You can't exploit the car's strengths, such as the 8400 rpm wail, without looking like a complete asshat and likely having police run ins.

The GTR can be a very comfortable DD. It isn't quite 911 turbo comfortable due to the transmission being loud and a bit goofy sometimes on the street, but it is a good compromise between track and street car. It gets a lot of attention from the ricer crowd which is either a positive or a negative depending on your preference.

The turbo is the best street only car, the GT3 is the best track only car, the GTR is a great compromise in the middle. Any of the 3 can be modded to make up for the deficiencies I described, but that will entail some additional compromise. E.G. I can mod my turbo to make it much better at the track, but that will make it a bit less comfortable on the street.

My qualification to answer for what its worth: Driven all 3 on tracks, hard. Have immediate friends with all 3 so lots of street experience, owned track modded GT3 and currently own 997 turbo.
Thats a really nice write up ,thanks man I like that track vs road comparison.Anyway I would not go to track often but I really like that feel of epic handling and agility the gt3 (rs) would offer.As for the hard suspension you mentioned ,I can live with it if its not apsurdly hard and I believe it can be used as a DD since I stumble accros guys here and there saying that they do it with out any major problems or discomforts.I dont want to sound like an a** here saying that you who owned one are in the wrong while what i think is correct ,thats just what i heard As for the attention for me it is a plus and I dont really see anything bad about others admiring my ride whether it is the gt3 or the gtr It's just that somehow I think that NA P would be harder to mod (and more $$$) than the GTR and if I paid more for the P I would not like to have my a** handed to me by a 500-600 hp ricer which wouldnt happen in a gtr since there is quite a bit of power difference between it and the P. I guess it comes down to handling masterpiece that could have a little bit more power Porsche in one hand and brutal acceleration that has nice handling although not so involving GTR in the other hand...I just find it a tough call

Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Nah no problem saying I couldn't live with the GT3 daily. My GT3 was far far from stock - no rubber in the suspension, solid engine mounts, 4.0 rs flywheel and clutch, cup shifter, GT2 buckets etc etc. It was taken to the 100% track extreme, which just was too much for me (read: my wife) to deal with on the street. I found a good turbo that made her happy, and I won't complain about a big HP turbo :-)

Honestly from what you're describing, I think the GTR is more your ride. Easy to get 550+ at the wheels with y pipe and a tune, and if you ever did track youd do just fine and probably not be fast enough to see the car's cooling issues that come up when you push it hard without upgraded cooling.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 PM
randomize is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Nah no problem saying I couldn't live with the GT3 daily. My GT3 was far far from stock - no rubber in the suspension, solid engine mounts, 4.0 rs flywheel and clutch, cup shifter, GT2 buckets etc etc. It was taken to the 100% track extreme, which just was too much for me (read: my wife) to deal with on the street. I found a good turbo that made her happy, and I won't complain about a big HP turbo :-)

Honestly from what you're describing, I think the GTR is more your ride. Easy to get 550+ at the wheels with y pipe and a tune, and if you ever did track youd do just fine and probably not be fast enough to see the car's cooling issues that come up when you push it hard without upgraded cooling.
Man the gt3 you described sounds like a proper piece of kit.I guess you are right,I am leaning towards the GTR by just a little margin as far as speed and mods go but I just fear not to like the DCT and to wake up thinking damn I should have went with the gt3 and a proper manual since i do prefer manuals to normal automatics.However I have never driven a double clutch gearbox so who knows I am just wondering if you sometimes find yourself thinking you should have kept the gt3 instead of going with the turbo or is the turbo just as good for you if not better ?