997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GTR over a 911 turbo or gt3 rs..cant decide...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM
randomize is infamous around these parts
GTR over a 911 turbo or gt3 rs..cant decide...

Hi everyone,this is my first post here and i hope i will get some feedback from you guys.
So in the near future i will be getting myself some of these awesome rides.
However i am really torn between the three.Ride comfort is not a big issue for me ,maybe when I am older it will be but for now speed and handling is all i want
What I like about the GTR is the raw power feel and the huge amount of grip plus the fact that it's got rear seats (as well as turbo) which is not a must but deffinitely a + and I do prefer the sound of the gtr over the turbo but like it as much as the gt3rs as far as sound goes.I know that they are both (the turbo and gtr) gonna be faster than the RS track and acceleration wise,but I keep hearing that the gt3 rs is a truly involving and rewarding piece of kit that is more fun than the other two.The test drive is not an option as I now live in a third world s*** hole where they dont even offer these cars and all you can see in the Porsche dealership are 3 diesel cayenes needless to say that the folks at the nissan dealership have probably never heard of a gtr and I want to sort this out before I move to US.To make matters worse I am aswell torn between 6mt and the auto.I have a decent seat with both transmissions but I usually prefer the stick shift although I havent tried a double clutch yet.Another thing I like about the Nissan are endless tuning possibilities and I believe that it will also be cheaper to tune and maintain.
So the number 1 question is which car to get and the number 2 would be PDK/manual
I am sorry for any grammar mistakes if there are any cuz english is not my native language.
Basically any productive input and feedback is more than welcome.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
These cars are all excellent performers, with different targets and achieve them differently.

Regarding the Nissan dealership - you should only talk to the dealer principal or GM about the GT-R. Because only GT-R certified dealers can sell them, one person should be decently knowledgeable about the car. That being said, most salesmen at dealerships are idiots to begin with.

If you have specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
These cars are all excellent performers, with different targets and achieve them differently.

Regarding the Nissan dealership - you should only talk to the dealer principal or GM about the GT-R. Because only GT-R certified dealers can sell them, one person should be decently knowledgeable about the car. That being said, most salesmen at dealerships are idiots to begin with.

If you have specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
True thing about the salesmen Well since you have a gtr as a profile picture i presume that you own one aswell.I dont plan on tracking the car,maybe once in a while,but i would like to know what the gearbox feels like in traffic/highway or track and do you ever wish to have a manual instead of it.I think thats whats killing me and making me think twice about the gtr since the P is offering manual...

Old 02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by randomize
Hi everyone,this is my first post here and i hope i will get some feedback from you guys.
So in the near future i will be getting myself some of these awesome rides.
However i am really torn between the three.Ride comfort is not a big issue for me ,maybe when I am older it will be but for now speed and handling is all i want
What I like about the GTR is the raw power feel and the huge amount of grip plus the fact that it's got rear seats (as well as turbo) which is not a must but deffinitely a + and I do prefer the sound of the gtr over the turbo but like it as much as the gt3rs as far as sound goes.I know that they are both (the turbo and gtr) gonna be faster than the RS track and acceleration wise,but I keep hearing that the gt3 rs is a truly involving and rewarding piece of kit that is more fun than the other two.The test drive is not an option as I now live in a third world s*** hole where they dont even offer these cars and all you can see in the Porsche dealership are 3 diesel cayenes needless to say that the folks at the nissan dealership have probably never heard of a gtr and I want to sort this out before I move to US.To make matters worse I am aswell torn between 6mt and the auto.I have a decent seat with both transmissions but I usually prefer the stick shift although I havent tried a double clutch yet.Another thing I like about the Nissan are endless tuning possibilities and I believe that it will also be cheaper to tune and maintain.
So the number 1 question is which car to get and the number 2 would be PDK/manual
I am sorry for any grammar mistakes if there are any cuz english is not my native language.
Basically any productive input and feedback is more than welcome.
If you prefer the stick shift, then you should get a manual trans. This blocks out the GTR which only has auto-manual. Driving enjoyment is increased with involvement with mechanically changing gears. But there is danger of mechanical overrev with these high HP interference engines, that is done by down shifting to 2nd from 4th/5th at too high a speed. This leads to thousands of dollars from driver's pocket because warranty nor insurance pays for this simple 1/2 inch wrong movement of your right hand. With pdk-like auto manual, such a mistake is locked out electronically by computer. Something to consider if you occasionally panic when driving fast/furious especially with these costly engines.
Big difference in handling also of GTR vs GT3 and turbo, the latter of which have engines in rear. I find the Porsches easier to handle in traffic situations. Which car is best for you depends on what you're use to. The P-turbo and GTR both have AWD and once you drive AWD on the streets, most folks won't change back to a rear wheel drive car, there is no comparison on the street, AWD excels over RR both under dry and wet conditions, The 997-turbo lacks a decent exhaust sound over GT3, but that can be fixed with $4-5K aftermkt exhaust. So for ride comfort, AWD and manual shifting, P-turbo is best bet. If you want PDK-shifting, still think the Porsche-turbo is best over GTR in comfort, fast/furious street-driveability, and styling. The GTR is just one heavy machine. The GT3 has a manual trans, but no AWD and no turbo, but a high-revving engine and great sounding exhaust if that's what you like. GT2 is even more pricey with turbo, great exhaust but no AWD.

Last edited by johnww; 02-15-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM
I think you have a point about the overrev but i am not to worried about it.I guess none of us is untill it actually happens Yea i guess the turbo can be made to sound quite well with an aftermarket exhaust and it is offered as manual but i just dont know if the turbo is going to be more enjoying than the gtr it would be nice if someone can give an opinion on what is more fun to use as a DD and for twisties.I will most likely mod it so thats why i am not sure whether to go with the gtr despite the P can be had as a manual.
I know...I am a complicated person

Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
If you prefer the stick shift, then you should get a manual trans. This blocks out the GTR which only has auto-manual. Driving enjoyment is increased with involvement with mechanically changing gears. But there is danger of mechanical overrev with these high HP interference engines, that is done by down shifting to 2nd from 4th/5th at too high a speed. This leads to thousands of dollars from driver's pocket because warranty nor insurance pays for this simple 1/2 inch wrong movement of your right hand. With pdk-like auto manual, such a mistake is locked out electronically by computer. Something to consider if you occasionally panic when driving fast/furious especially with these costly engines.
Big difference in handling also of GTR vs GT3 and turbo, the latter of which have engines in rear. I find the Porsches easier to handle in traffic situations. Which car is best for you depends on what you're use to. The P-turbo and GTR both have AWD and once you drive AWD on the streets, most folks won't change back to a rear wheel drive car, there is no comparison on the street, AWD excels over RR both under dry and wet conditions, The P-turbo lacks a decent exhaust sound over GT3, but that can be fixed with $4-5K aftermkt exhaust. So for ride comfort, AWD and manual shifting, P-turbo is best bet. If you want PDK-shifting, still think the P-turbo is best over GTR in comfort, fast/furious street-driveability, and styling. The GTR is just one heavy machine. The GT3 has a manual trans, but no AWD and no turbo, but a high-revving engine and great sounding exhaust if that's what you like.
Good info here.

OP - If the shifting will get you, don't look at GT-R or Turbo w/PDK.

At one point I thought it would be cool if the GT-R had a single clutch manual, but then it wouldn't be the car it is today. Once I got used to the car, I developed a strong preference to its driving dynamics, ergonomics inside the cabin, the ride height (being able to see in traffic), and the utilitarian approach to the car (with a trunk able to fit two sets of clubs+), along with the daily drivability of the car (in all weather conditions similar to my experiences in a Turbo), I'm quite taken by the car... so much so, that two other vehicle purchases have come and gone, and I still have the GT-R (the wife was more than happy to purchase a couple vehicles).

Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Good to hear that it doesnt leave you wanting a manual but thats the thing i dont really know what a double clutch will feel like after some time i guess we all have different preferences when it comes to cars/gearboxes and stuff...maybe ill like it more than the manual.Afterall how much different is the double clutch compared to a normal auto?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by randomize
Good to hear that it doesnt leave you wanting a manual but thats the thing i dont really know what a double clutch will feel like after some time i guess we all have different preferences when it comes to cars/gearboxes and stuff...maybe ill like it more than the manual.Afterall how much different is the double clutch compared to a normal auto?
Regarding the double clutch. Depending on the year GT-R, the Porsche PDK may seem smoother, while the GT-R's DCT may seem more aggressive. The newest GT-R has an even smoother shifting double clutch than previous models (while I still believe the 911's PDK is very smooth - easy to drive daily, feels like an automatic). If you buy used, this can be updated with programming software.

If you're going to daily drive the car in traffic, I'll recommend the Turbo w/PDK. If you're going to push the car often, I'd recommend the GT-R (it inspires a lot of confidence to push the car faster and faster, maybe too fast).

If you'll drive fast often, and not daily drive (have another daily commuter, etc...), I'd recommend the GT3 RS.

Also - the paddle shifting offers a different experience (in either the Turbo or GT-R). It has an F-1 feel to the car, feeling a bit newer (non-traditional).

As far as purchasing the GT-R. There are no real options. Every car comes the same way - fully loaded with every available standard feature offered. Tire/wheel packages are no cost options. This makes resale very easy. You just pick your year and color.

Different approach. Some people like to personalize their 911's from the factory, or obtain cars that have rare combinations. It all comes down to preference. Definitely can increase the joy of owning a car that is made just for you. May also make resale difficult, but I don't buy my cars to sell them later; I get them to enjoy.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hmm these cars and platforms are so very different. I'm pretty set on the NA GT3 but it really depends on your intended use. If you are interested in gt3s then these guides might help:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...-tuning-guide/

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hmm these cars and platforms are so very different. I'm pretty set on the NA GT3 but it really depends on your intended use. If you are interested in gt3s then these guides might help:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...-tuning-guide/
That blue and orange combination looks really nice on that gt3rs and i bet the road trip back to sharkwerks you did when you bought it was really really fun but the thing that puts me off of that amazing car a little bit is that it's got no rear seats.I guess i could buy a vw golf as a DD but the idea of having an all in one package that i can drive to work ,blast through mountain roads ,and track it every once in a while without having to go home and take the golf if i want to take more than one person with me is really appealing to me.I just dont know if the gt3rs is that better if at all better than the other two for me to be able to ignore the fact that it fits only two people ,but maybe i should do just that and get the rs just for myself if i fall in love with it when i do the test drive Do you have any experience with the turbo or gtr and if so can you tell me what made you buy the gt3 ?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Regarding the double clutch. Depending on the year GT-R, the Porsche PDK may seem smoother, while the GT-R's DCT may seem more aggressive. The newest GT-R has an even smoother shifting double clutch than previous models (while I still believe the 911's PDK is very smooth - easy to drive daily, feels like an automatic). If you buy used, this can be updated with programming software.

If you're going to daily drive the car in traffic, I'll recommend the Turbo w/PDK. If you're going to push the car often, I'd recommend the GT-R (it inspires a lot of confidence to push the car faster and faster, maybe too fast).

If you'll drive fast often, and not daily drive (have another daily commuter, etc...), I'd recommend the GT3 RS.

Also - the paddle shifting offers a different experience (in either the Turbo or GT-R). It has an F-1 feel to the car, feeling a bit newer (non-traditional).

As far as purchasing the GT-R. There are no real options. Every car comes the same way - fully loaded with every available standard feature offered. Tire/wheel packages are no cost options. This makes resale very easy. You just pick your year and color.

Different approach. Some people like to personalize their 911's from the factory, or obtain cars that have rare combinations. It all comes down to preference. Definitely can increase the joy of owning a car that is made just for you. May also make resale difficult, but I don't buy my cars to sell them later; I get them to enjoy.
I am deffinitely gonna go with used as i dont feel like losing 20+ k in value the moment i start the car and leave the dealership but i would most likely not go with anything older than 2 years.I will for sure push it hard but i want to be able to drive it every day.why do you think the gt3rs would not be a good dd?because of the rock hard suspension or the lack of seats pr is it something else ?If you have owned any of the mentioned P cars in the past it would be nice if you could say what made you take the gtr and how does it feel compared to the other two.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The GT3 and GT-R are so different that it's hard for me to imagine cross-shopping them.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The GT3 and GT-R are so different that it's hard for me to imagine cross-shopping them.
What exatcly do you mean when you say so different ? They are both supercars with awesome handling,hp and with close lap times.I have never driven either but would like to know what is that that makes them so different...

Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
On a track:

The GT3 is a precision weapon that requires finesse and perfect car control. It rewards the effort and skill of the driver with amazing lap times. The reason they are so prized is that, to a driver who enjoys pushing himself and his skill, getting a GT3 to go perfectly is a lifelong challenge and the ultimate rewarding experience.

The GTR is a semi-blunt instrument. With all the nannies on, it makes **** poor drivers into DE champions. Turn them all off and you get a better experience, but you still know that computers are doing much of the work for you. It is rewarding in its own way, part of it being outright speed, but it does not have the same raw edge and danger feel of the GT3. The car will cover your mistakes, and many track guys hate that.

On the street:

The GT3 is rough, and all the suspension tuning that makes it perfect on track makes it uncomfortable on the street. You can live with it if the passion is there for its track capability, and many people do, but it is not you wife's BMW if you get what I'm saying. You can't exploit the car's strengths, such as the 8400 rpm wail, without looking like a complete asshat and likely having police run ins.

The GTR can be a very comfortable DD. It isn't quite 911 turbo comfortable due to the transmission being loud and a bit goofy sometimes on the street, but it is a good compromise between track and street car. It gets a lot of attention from the ricer crowd which is either a positive or a negative depending on your preference.

The turbo is the best street only car, the GT3 is the best track only car, the GTR is a great compromise in the middle. Any of the 3 can be modded to make up for the deficiencies I described, but that will entail some additional compromise. E.G. I can mod my turbo to make it much better at the track, but that will make it a bit less comfortable on the street.

My qualification to answer for what its worth: Driven all 3 on tracks, hard. Have immediate friends with all 3 so lots of street experience, owned track modded GT3 and currently own 997 turbo.

Last edited by Chkmgnt59; 02-16-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Chkmgnt59,

Nice summary of valuable points, and I think you're pretty much spot on.

I'd love to hear more about your 997 GT3 versus 997TT comparison seeing as you've owned both. Although I do enjoy a lot of the merits of the GT3 (and have driven a 996 GT3 variant), I fear you're totally correct about not being able to exploit the strengths of the car on the road except on rare occasions.

Best wishes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR over a 911 turbo or gt3 rs..cant decide...