997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dectane Depo LED Tail light condensation / fog - I know it has ben covered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Dectane Depo LED Tail light condensation / fog - I know it has ben covered

So I have read every thread regarding the Dectane/ Depo 997.2 style LED taillight replacements for the 997.1. It is apparent that the LED's do not give off enough (or any) heat to keep the moisture / condensation / fog out of the clear section in the middle.

I started with leaving the unit sealed...and it fogged a little.....I read about taking off the two clear plastic vent caps and fabric to allow them to breathe....I have done that. I try running with them ON and with them OFF just on when braking etc.....Still get fog. It is about 20 - 30 degrees F here, but sucks to spend that much on lights and have no way to keep them from fogging.

Some say when they removed the plugs it cleared up...I have not been so lucky. Only driven a handful of times for short distances though...Maybe it needs more time??

So the lights are near the engine compartment, which produces plenty of "free" heat. And I am starting to think like a mad scientist now....

Would appreciate thoughts on if I just need to wait a bit with the caps off, or if I should start experimenting? And would appreciate thoughts on if my idea would create any other potential issues (it is not fully baked yet)

I am thinking of possibly trying to get some tubing the size of the vent holes on the light and trying to see if I can connect one end to thee lights and the other somehow in the engine compartment to have heat "pumped" in, in lieu of incandescent bulbs?? Maybe a dumb idea... I am just trying to think of a way to get some heat in there to dry the moisture!???

Thoughts, jokes, ideas, solutions, sympathy, etc...Appreciated

THANKS!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Dang that sounds like a tough situation. I thought this through for you and here is the best idea I came up with so far. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Maybe swap to something like this?

Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kpt6
Dang that sounds like a tough situation. I thought this through for you and here is the best idea I came up with so far. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Maybe swap to something like this?

Might not be a bad idea....It is an option!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 AM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Throw them away! They are worthless. Their quality and craftsmanship sucks and everybody should know by now. Since the Porsche community is small, I would say that Dectane's sales for our cars should be zero. I took mine off and they are sitting in the garage.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
Throw them away! They are worthless. Their quality and craftsmanship sucks and everybody should know by now. Since the Porsche community is small, I would say that Dectane's sales for our cars should be zero. I took mine off and they are sitting in the garage.
So far I agree! I sure hate wasting money like that. I wonder who manufactures the 997.2 lights for Porsche? And would be great if they would make, say some TechArt version for the 997.1...

Well, until then I love the looks and will use them and tweak to try to overcome the issues until they crap out on me! I did not sell my OEM's,
and actually was able to use some 50W 6OHM resistors to successfully use LED's in them with no issues..Looked pretty good !

Thanks..
DC

Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
Unfortunately it may be the luck of the draw (shouldn't be if there were good QC) since I've had mine now for almost a year - no quality issues, no condensation, no problems with lights or warning lights. Overall I'm very pleased. Bought them domestically from carlightpro,

Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Unfortunately it may be the luck of the draw (shouldn't be if there were good QC) since I've had mine now for almost a year - no quality issues, no condensation, no problems with lights or warning lights. Overall I'm very pleased. Bought them domestically from carlightpro,
Thanks...Do you have yours vented with the OEM vent tubes? or did you leave them sealed or?? They seem to work fine, and I assume when the summer/spring gets here they may clear up...but in 15-30F weather they just get a fog in the clear part (where the reverse.blinker section is...I also do not drive but about 10-15 minutes to work..

Hope yours remain trouble free!

Thanks
DC

Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
Thanks...Do you have yours vented with the OEM vent tubes? or did you leave them sealed or?? They seem to work fine, and I assume when the summer/spring gets here they may clear up...but in 15-30F weather they just get a fog in the clear part (where the reverse.blinker section is...I also do not drive but about 10-15 minutes to work..

Hope yours remain trouble free!

Thanks
DC
I didn't do anything with the vents. Took the lights out of the box and installed as is.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I didn't do anything with the vents. Took the lights out of the box and installed as is.
OK.Thanks for the info. Maybe I will try sealing them back up instead? and see if they clear up over time..

Take care,
DC

Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM
alwaysturbos is infamous around these parts
The condensation will clear up on its own.

When I initially installed my pair, I didnt slide them correctly into place and was having the same problem. I then reinstalled them and made sure they slid in properly, locking into place, and have never had any other problems or condensation issues.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by alwaysturbos
The condensation will clear up on its own.

When I initially installed my pair, I didnt slide them correctly into place and was having the same problem. I then reinstalled them and made sure they slid in properly, locking into place, and have never had any other problems or condensation issues.
Thanks. I think I will seal them back up, make sure they are in properly, and be patient.....

Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Follow up question....Does anyone have any good photos of the back of a 997.2 tail light to compare? Or know if they are sealed vs vented?? I am interested in comparing to see the differences....

Anyone hear of any fogging / moisture issues with the OEM 997.2 LED tail lights?

Thanks!
DC