997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Protomotive Tune! + Headers Question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Protomotive Tune! + Headers Question.

Hey Guys,

I managed to FINALLY tune my ECU through Todd at Protomotive! And all I can say is WOW what a difference! I managed to do some VBOX runs and I achieved a 0.5s difference in my 0-100 timings (3.9s to 3.4).

However I still have that little bug in my head thats making me doubt the effect of my headers (Fabspeed) on my cars performance, so I decided to get the headers off this weekend and try and do some runs and see how the car performs/feels vs. any data with headers on (After Tune).

Your input will be highly appreciated:

1- Do you think that the headers might be having a Negative/No change on my cars performance, even after I tuned my car?

Note:
1- We tested boost after the tune and recorded 1.5BAR.
2- Todd has tuned my car according to the mods I had on at the time
3- I have not discussed this matter with Todd yet, but I am definetly planning on doing so.
4- Car is Tiptronic

Thanks Guys!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 AM
Aisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the rough
yes place back the stock headers as Todd told u... I did the same.. you will be surprised

Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
The stock headers are very good and hard to improve upon.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
I think most mess with low end....and not in a good way....I pulled mine off and put stock on and feel like it is better with the stocks. I think Cats / exhaust may help with a tune....but question that the headers do anything but degrade performance....Just my opinion, and what I experienced. Good luck

DC

Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 AM
PACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud of
If your battery goes dead or is removed / replaced will it have a negative impact on your tune?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PACE
If your battery goes dead or is removed / replaced will it have a negative impact on your tune?
There will be no effect on a tune from a dead or replaced battery. This is a stored file....

Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM
AriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Todd knows his pupu ...

Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 AM
mathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nice
Update on the outcome?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mathys
Update on the outcome?
Hey Guys, Didnt get a chance to remove them yet I have been very occupied.

Hopefully will have them off in the next few days and post my results

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Looking forward to your results

Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 PM
BlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really nice
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Looking forward to your results
+1 on this!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM
ET777 is infamous around these parts
im in the middle of headers search for my car so your results can be useful...

Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Thank you guys for your patience! Im sorry for the delay I was out of the country on some business trips and got back last week.

I have taken off my Aftermarket Headers and Aftermarket Cold Air Intake and installed my Stock Airbox with a drop in BMC and Stock Headers.

Before I removed the parts I had done multiple 0-100 vbox runs (as this is what matters to me), I did those times in a consistent 3.4seconds.

After I removed the parts I drove the car for around 1,100kms in order for the car to adapt (Thought it would make my experiment more accurate), I Vboxed on the exact same road with near exact tempretures etc.. And I did 0-100 in 3.4seconds.

My Conclusion (I dont have any other extensive/precise data other than Vbox): After market headers and intake do not enhance MY cars performance. HOWEVER I have to admit they do improve response time and boost build up, I feel the car is abit more sluggish with stock parts than the Aftermarket.

My next step are upgraded Intercoolers, I am probably going for the 997tt .2 PDK Interccoolers (I would prefer the 5" TPC/Proto but cant seem to find any for sale). Im probably ordering the .2 Intercoolers and they should arrive some time next week and I will post my 0-100 timings and 100-200 timings before and after install for reference.

I am also planning to install upgraded VTG's probably with GT2 cores in the near future. If anyone has any experience or advice on these Turbo's (HP gains, times etc.) please share.

Thanks for your patience! Any feedback will be highly appreciated!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
The bigger the IC the better!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by robmd99
The bigger the IC the better!!!
That subject has been debated over and over again, However if we are talking about the TPC/Proto 5" they are really good! but for half the price the .2 should be sufficient in my case.

I have a post out for any1 wanting to sell any used 5" but I doubt there are any out there. So its looking Bright for the .2's atm!