997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Any 997 Turbo S mods worth doing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
wyo997 is infamous around these partswyo997 is infamous around these parts
Any 997 Turbo S mods worth doing?

Hello,
I appreciate your knowledge as a community. I have a 2011 997 Turbo S and can't imagine any modifications to the power train worth adding thousands of dollars in "performance" to such a wonderful, multi-million dollar test-engineered system.

Back in 2006, I did test and evaluation of prototypes for a tuned exhaust system for Ferrari 550's, and (after new cats and x-pipe) found that the stock mufflers were superior to "performance" ones (aftermarket silencers typically constrict flow to boost the mid-range audio, which human ears hear. They "sound fast" and that's all). Going back to factory silencers gave me 15% better acceleration in the 40-80mph range (very noticeable, whatever the improvement. The Ferrari patent for the OEM silencers makes clear that there is no need for "performance" flow in a V-12...until 5,000 rpm. Manufacturers know- better than any aftermarket company- what works and doesn't work. They're the ones spending millions in RDT&E ).

The 997 Turbos (and S) are so well engineered, I thought I'd ask what other 997 Turbo (and S) owners have done to their cars to achieve REAL increases in performance; including suspension modifications- if any- to enhance handling.

Thank you.
If you're inclined, here's my car's web site: http://wyo550.com

Last edited by wyo997; 02-20-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Hands down - ECU flash followed by a free flowing exhaust in the power department. Other than that like you said the cars are amazing out of the box.

Suspension is all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Former Vendor
Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !
The car is so fast from the factory that I think adding more power is unnecessary and if you like the sound of the car as it sits, I would definitely leave the exhaust stock. A lot of people ask us about this because they just want more noise since the car is just so dang quiet when it's stock... and for this we designed a simple bolt-in system that retains the stock cats/headers, so there's no worry about check engine lights or emissions problems:

info:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=329

Since the 550 was NA, it probably suffered a loss of torque from too little back pressure, where the turbo cars should always gain a little power / faster turbo spool up from an exhaust. Still, I think the car is so fast especially with PDK that I would only do it if you want a more aggressive exhaust sound.

As for real acceleration / performance gains, the only worthwhile mod is software IMO. You can tune the ECU to push more boost (more turbo PSI) with air-fuel ratios tuned a bit more for power (rather than more toward economy / emissions and an international compatibility with all grades of fuel etc.):
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=280

I just drove a Turbo S here yesterday that we changed the exhaust out on, and finally did the software tune on in the morning. It was a bit wet out and consequently "scary fast". The throttle response is also a lot sharper after tuning since Porsche sets it rather conservative with the e-gas. The customer emailed us right afterward and sent the following (pardon the profanity but left for effect ):
Two words:
Holy ****....
**** me...
Crazy awesome...

Thanks
This customer has had over 30 Porsches and just recently picked up his Turbo S. He originally did not want to tune the ECU but now I think he's happy

Again I'd say it's a great / fast car stock, so it's unnecessary to have more power. But if you want more power, there are options on these cars that do indeed work.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
Hey wyo997, just wanted to say, I really enjoyed your youtube videos back when I was mulling over ordering my Turbo S. I haven't done any mods myself either, for largely the same reasons. Whenever I get complacent with the TTS I just drive the Honda for a week. Humans are contrast machines.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM
CPB
CPB is infamous around these parts
I'm sure that mods would make it faster. I just don't need it to be faster.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
There are a lot of mods which are worth doing on the Turbo S. Keep in mind, some mods don't always add power, but make the car operate more efficiently and give you more repeatable and consistent performance.

For power, yes...the obvious flash/exhaust combo will give you your best bang for the buck. But adding things like good intercoolers allow you to have more consistent performance, and also add power by lowering intake air temperatures and eliminating some bottlenecks in the charged air system.

Diverter valves are also a sensible (and inexpensive) mod that you might want to consider. The stock rubber diaphragm valves tend to wear, and even tear, after time, which you'll certainly notice. A good set of spring operated diverters operate more consistently and are far more durable.

An aftermarket exhaust (even without a flash) is also a nice mod. EGT's on these VTG setups is always critical and eliminating backpressure on the turbos allows them to operate more efficiently with lower EGT's, which in turn helps performance.

Suspension is also an area that can definitely use improvement. Anything from simple lowering springs or coilovers, to complete suspension upgrades are available.

At the end of the day, it really all depends on what you'd like to get out of the car. Street car, track car, drive it every day? It really all depends what you want to get out of it.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The turbo s needs absolutely nothing. In fact it might be harmful to the 9a1 and pdk. Flash the ecu and your buck seventy porsche is without a warranty, that's a fact.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 02-20-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyo997
Hello,
I appreciate your knowledge as a community. I have a 2011 997 Turbo S and can't imagine any modifications to the power train worth adding thousands of dollars in "performance" to such a wonderful, multi-million dollar test-engineered system.

Back in 2006, I did test and evaluation of prototypes for a tuned exhaust system for Ferrari 550's, and (after new cats and x-pipe) found that the stock mufflers were superior to "performance" ones (aftermarket silencers typically constrict flow to boost the mid-range audio, which human ears hear. They "sound fast" and that's all). Going back to factory silencers gave me 15% better acceleration in the 40-80mph range (very noticeable, whatever the improvement. The Ferrari patent for the OEM silencers makes clear that there is no need for "performance" flow in a V-12...until 5,000 rpm. Manufacturers know- better than any aftermarket company- what works and doesn't work. They're the ones spending millions in RDT&E ).

The 997 Turbos (and S) are so well engineered, I thought I'd ask what other 997 Turbo (and S) owners have done to their cars to achieve REAL increases in performance; including suspension modifications- if any- to enhance handling.

Thank you.
If you're inclined, here's my car's web site: http://wyo550.com
i agree that the oem knows better and has unlimited resources but the goals/requirements arent the same, they have to worry about emissions, most owners dont care, they have to worry about fuel economy regulations while some owners just want the most power, they have to worry about car lasting 150,000 miles while some owners will sacrifice some longevity for more power.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
also sound level is something that oem cant be too aggressive because some owners wont like it, so i see nothing wrong with those that what louder or a different tone

Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Exhaust and tune is all I really wanted and have to say, WOW!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Having a 12' Turbo S the only thing I did and plan to do was add the Akrapovic slip on Exhaust. Although it's a little on the higher end cost wise the carbon fiber surround and oval tips are great looking. IMO leaving it stock will maintain its value over the long run.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
how does a stock 997.2TT PDK match up with a stage 3 (800HP) 997.1TT 6spd. Anybody compare them?

(I just want to understand what "fast" out of the box means)

Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
In a straight line, such a 997.1 would spank the 997.2. However, on a road course, unless you have significant suspension mods to put 800 hp to the ground the 997.2 pdk tts would smoke the 997.1 pretty badly. They are very fast on the track with the pdk.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
If I could get that sound on my 997.1TT i would be very happy! But is the 3.8 motor's sound any diff then the Mezger? I dont know could someone answer that?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
The only performance mod I have on my TTS is the addition of the Europipe exhaust and Im very happy with my decision. Europipe symphony is a MUST for our car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any 997 Turbo S mods worth doing?