997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need help installing Rottec Carbon Fiber Diffuser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Goodluck Art. Hopefully it comes out looking great. Need to see your car sometime

Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zero911
Goodluck Art. Hopefully it comes out looking great. Need to see your car sometime
Thanks John

I'm going to be down at Sonic in a couple of weeks for final alignment. If you're around swing by and we can meet in person

Best
Art

Old 03-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by aa909
Thanks John

I'm going to be down at Sonic in a couple of weeks for final alignment. If you're around swing by and we can meet in person

Best
Art
Awesome. PM me the day you go.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aa909
Just got back from the shop. Unfortunately the resin fix didn't work across the entire length of the hairline crack and in a couple of areas the paint bridged across the crack as can been seen in this picture

(adjusted contrast and exposure to highlight the issue)

There are about 4 areas like this along the length of the diffuser, the above being the largest and therefore easiest to photograph. The shop is going to polish the piece and fill the exposed cracked areas with additional paint and hope it fills the gap enough to pass the 2' test. It doesn't and will not look perfect by any means but at this point the diffuser has won

guys, know what you're buying with these aftermarket parts. this was a frustrating lessen for me. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 represents a completely custom unfinished piece and 10 represents a direct OEM replacement I give the rottec diffuser a 4 at best

Will post up some pics when it's finally on the car

- Art
Art,

Really sorry to hear about your experience. Has Ray offered any refund? In terms of the hairline crack, is there a reason why the body shop didn't put bondo on it instead of resin?

Edwin

Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Art,

Really sorry to hear about your experience. Has Ray offered any refund? In terms of the hairline crack, is there a reason why the body shop didn't put bondo on it instead of resin?

Edwin
thanks for your comments. problem is either with bondo or resin, this kind of hairline crack needs to be pulled apart and filled prior to painting because during the baking process that is used to dry the paint, the carbon fiber material shrinks and the crack widens regardless of the filler

Unfortunately this area is so thin, and carbon fiber is very stiff, so any attempt to separate the area prior to baking would probably cause more cracks and spiderwebbing essentially worsening an already bad situation

Ideally we would fill in the area after the carbon fiber has shrunk from the baking process, resand and repaint the entire diffuser but that's another $400 so it's a no go. the only option was to basically "touch up" the area with more paint and fill in the crack. The final area looks like any rock chip on your hood that's been filled with touch up paint. unfortunately it's an unacceptable eye sore for a new and very expensive diffuser

I've emailed ray requesting a partial refund, I hope when he gets back from his business trip to asia he will step up and do what is right

- Art

Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM
168 is infamous around these parts168 is infamous around these parts
Ray has been very good with backing his products.
Would you have an idea when he is back? Ive been emailing him and my messages keep bouncing back?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I've been contacting Art along the install process with this diffuser issue. We appreciate Art's patience and thanks for his cooperation. I'm happy to say we have reach a solution for this matter.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 168
Ray has been very good with backing his products.
Would you have an idea when he is back? Ive been emailing him and my messages keep bouncing back?
Hey Howie, I've got your message and I will get back to you shortly!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
Wow, this thread should be a learning experience for everyone.

I hate to bash but it is what it is, crappy products come from second or third tier companies that are often pushed on ebay as well.

If Rotec made the deal right for you then that says alot, forums do add alot for support.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Ray I noticed you posted on another thread that this is a one off defect. Can you elaborate? What level of incoming QC do you have on your products? This issue has raised several eyebrows I would suggest you provide a Root Cause and corrective action for the forum.

I am an owner of your product and I'm concerned about ripping apart while going down a straight on the track.

Feedback appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eurotom
Ray I noticed you posted on another thread that this is a one off defect. Can you elaborate? What level of incoming QC do you have on your products? This issue has raised several eyebrows I would suggest you provide a Root Cause and corrective action for the forum.

I am an owner of your product and I'm concerned about ripping apart while going down a straight on the track.

Feedback appreciated. Thanks
Seems odd that a product touted as being a no fuss straight forward fit has attracted so many fitment (and quality) issues, is now being referred to by Ray as a "one of". Not sure if i can buy that one LOL.

If that was indeed a "one of" problem component then surely it would have been easier to just resupply and start again. At least the customer would wind up with something that had some form of structural integrity. I mean logically the customer could use this glued up cracked faulty piece meantime whilst the replacement one was prepared in the right colour and so forth. That would then determine whether the fitment and quality issues was indeed isolated to the one unit.

If these things are made in China I must question whether the material is just a carbon fibre look alike, or is the material the real deal. Then, there is the also question exactly what level of quality is the material being used. If these things dont fit up as claimed the Rotec marketing spiel should change from being an "easy straight fit" to a more honest "nightmare PITA fit".

Last edited by speed21; 03-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speed21
Seems odd that a product touted as being a no fuss straight forward fit has attracted so many fitment (and quality) issues, is now being referred to by Ray as a "one of". Not sure if i can buy that one LOL.

If that was indeed a "one of" problem component then surely it would have been easier to just resupply and start again. At least the customer would wind up with something that had some form of structural integrity. I mean logically the customer could use this glued up cracked faulty piece meantime whilst the replacement one was prepared in the right colour and so forth. That would then determine whether the fitment and quality issues was indeed isolated to the one unit.

If these things are made in China I must question whether the material is just a carbon fibre look alike, or is the material the real deal. Then, there is the also question exactly what level of quality is the material being used. If these things dont fit up as claimed the Rotec marketing spiel should change from being an "easy straight fit" to a more honest "nightmare PITA fit".
Thank God we wont have these issues with the Vivid "in house" designed and built products. Matter of fact I swear I saw the sheets of fiber hanging in the pics he posted.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squat
Thank God we wont have these issues with the Vivid "in house" designed and built products. Matter of fact I swear I saw the sheets of fiber hanging in the pics he posted.
I'm really not sure about Vivid's claims of "in house" designs. They've clearly mistaken the out-house for the in-house or vice versa. The outhouse is clearly where the design team does all of its brainstorming....and the waste is recycled into product....

Last edited by speed21; 03-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
I believe multiple people chimed in about the fit & finish issues including myself i had to pay a shop to tweak it ,they had to fabricate hardware & it's still off but it's a piece thats underneath & kinda hides with the shadow line so i live with it.The point is the site clearly says direct oem fit no modifications needed & thats just not the case & it's not a one off thing it seems to be the standard with everyone that had one in this thread,the crack is off but the fit isn't.I've bought several other things from Rottec with no problems my mirrors were perfect my air intakes in the engine bay were perfect but my wing was less than perfect but again i live with it, because i know it's a knock off & i could have paid even more for the real deal.Simply put the description should be changed.

Last edited by twturbo; 03-12-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by twturbo
I believe multiple people chimed in about the fit & finish issues including myself i had to pay a shop to tweak it ,they had to fabricate hardware & it's still off but it's a piece thats underneath & kinda hides with the shadow line so i live with it.The point is the site clearly says direct oem fit & thats just not the case & is not a one off thing it seems to be the standard.I've bought several other things from Rottec with no problems my mirrors were perfect my air intakes in the engine bay were perfect but my wing was less than perfect but again i live with it.
It's a shame to hear that. Then for sure Rotec need to be straight about the PITA nightmare fit up. It may be just easier for you guys to get something that's properly made from someone else and just put some carbon fibre wrap on the centre area if that's the look you guys are going for.

I do hear you on Rotecs other stuff as not seemingly having these quality and fitment issues.....so didn't intend bashing or anything... just to say they need to step up here and remove this crap product from their line-up or give proper warnings about it. Saying its an OEM fit and so forth couldn't be further from the truth!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help installing Rottec Carbon Fiber Diffuser