997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E85 + stock turbos?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Also, whatever anyone has ever said about ToddK and protomotive, it's true. Great guys, great service.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I know the name of the thread says stock turbos, but is it true now, do you get this on stock or is it upgraded vtg's?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mattym6
so i can do an e85 tune without touching anything else ? no injectors ,no special parts as of now ? just e85 tune and go to the pump and fill it up ?
...and pay (relatively speaking) about 33% even higher prices for fuel than you pay now...

Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
I know the name of the thread says stock turbos, but is it true now, do you get this on stock or is it upgraded vtg's?
This thread had kind of been a running chronology of upgrades to my car. It is on Todd's 67mm VTGs now. I guess I should start a new thread now that it is complete.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Domer911
...and pay (relatively speaking) about 33% even higher prices for fuel than you pay now...
Not even remotely true. E85 is significantly cheaper than premium gas (at least in the US due to silly subsidies). It also gets worse mileage. I've done the math on my car, and fuel cost is almost exactly the same, I just have to fill up more often. And I get way more power.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Picking it up tomorrow. Apparently my car just set Todd's dyno record for a VTG equipped car. Though of note - I did decide to add on every addon part there is. Essentially it is an alpha kit without alpha turbos.

Here's the dyno chart showing when I dropped it off vs now. Steady increases in runs are due to adding a part here, a part there. As you can see, the mid-range and top end where it was being choked off before, it no longer is.

I'll run 60-130s this weekend if it stops raining. No idea what to expect.

Congrats looks like a monster from the dyno sheet. Looking forward to your impressions and 60-130 #'s when the weather clears up.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Not even remotely true. E85 is significantly cheaper than premium gas (at least in the US due to silly subsidies). It also gets worse mileage. I've done the math on my car, and fuel cost is almost exactly the same, I just have to fill up more often. And I get way more power.
Indeed. Race fuel at pump pricing with more bank for the buck in terms of energy. Great looking dyno with early torque and good improvements up top as well. Must be a blast to drive. Congrats.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
So several observations from driving this weekend:

It feels fast and very nice. I enjoy driving it very much.

The change in 60-130 from before to now - so the before/after dynos up there - is from 7.6 to 6.9. All performed with a 300lb passenger plus my 250lb self. So .7 improvement which is nothing to sneeze at. Road is 2.5% uphill for whatever that is worth. I don't know what else to do - Todd had the car in his hands and all checks out perfect. No idea how other VTG cars are getting such better times but I don't want to spend any more money trying to figure it out. Only other thing to do to the car would be alpha turbos and a built motor, and I just dont want to. I enjoy driving it so that's that. I'll take some good logs and shoot Todd's way to see if there's anything off perhaps w/ my fuel or the road conditions but that's it.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 AM
dewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant future
A 2.5% gradient is pretty steep. That will definitely effect your 60-130 times. Why not log some on a flat road?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
The redneck racer in me says that 2.5% grade is probably worth at least .3 seconds on your overall 60-130 time, if not a little more. What kind of time are you expecting at your power level? Are you running 4th gear, or 3/4 with a shift?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
So several observations from driving this weekend:

It feels fast and very nice. I enjoy driving it very much.

The change in 60-130 from before to now - so the before/after dynos up there - is from 7.6 to 6.9. All performed with a 300lb passenger plus my 250lb self. So .7 improvement which is nothing to sneeze at. Road is 2.5% uphill for whatever that is worth. I don't know what else to do - Todd had the car in his hands and all checks out perfect. No idea how other VTG cars are getting such better times but I don't want to spend any more money trying to figure it out. Only other thing to do to the car would be alpha turbos and a built motor, and I just dont want to. I enjoy driving it so that's that. I'll take some good logs and shoot Todd's way to see if there's anything off perhaps w/ my fuel or the road conditions but that's it.
What was the temperature outside when you did the run? Jettison the 300lb passenger and watch the time improve.

I have Proto 63.5 vtgs with pump gas and .2 intercoolers. Best time was 7.2s for 60-130 when I was alone and it was about 55-60 degrees F outside.

A 0.7s improvement is definitely noticeable.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
What was the temperature outside when you did the run? Jettison the 300lb passenger and watch the time improve.

I have Proto 63.5 vtgs with pump gas and .2 intercoolers. Best time was 7.2s for 60-130 when I was alone and it was about 55-60 degrees F outside.

A 0.7s improvement is definitely noticeable.
True - but we're talking about 67mm vtg + e85. Only .3 better than 63.5+pump seems off to me. Reserving judgement until i find flatter road and go alone

Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
True - but we're talking about 67mm vtg + e85. Only .3 better than 63.5+pump seems off to me. Reserving judgement until i find flatter road and go alone
If you drop the passenger, run in colder weather, go on a flat or little bit of a decline road I can see you running a 6 sec 60-130 and maybe even try brake boosting.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Curious what your best 60-130 times were on the apr tune.

Tia.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM
So - wasn't going to update until everything was 100% complete, but I've seen that people are mentioning my 60-130 times as fact and what my car/VTGs can run, so I want to give an update.

I called Todd and talked through my slight disappointment with the times. He asked for my logs, and in reviewing them together we came to an interesting discovery: I had/have a massive boost leak. Todd asked me to check a few things, and we discovered that the boost hose on the FPR had popped off. This caused several issues:
1) We were way way way lean
2) FPR had no boost input, thus wasn't raising fuel pressure, so we were running out of fuel. Like 130% IDC request out of fuel
3) boost leak = low boost
All this meant, at the time of my 60-130, we were significantly down on power. We corrected this and started logging again, and fuel/AFR and boost all look better.

Unfortunately, I had to go out of town, but when I get back in a few weeks I will take it out at night when it is cool, without a passenger and on a flat road, and re-run the 60-130. We fully expect a significant improvement in times. So sorry for the (again) delay, but stay tuned and I'll update what I can do when putting down the full 700whp.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E85 + stock turbos?