997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E85 + stock turbos?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
duplicate post...

Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
So - wasn't going to update until everything was 100% complete, but I've seen that people are mentioning my 60-130 times as fact and what my car/VTGs can run, so I want to give an update.

I called Todd and talked through my slight disappointment with the times. He asked for my logs, and in reviewing them together we came to an interesting discovery: I had/have a massive boost leak. Todd asked me to check a few things, and we discovered that the boost hose on the FPR had popped off. This caused several issues:
1) We were way way way lean
2) FPR had no boost input, thus wasn't raising fuel pressure, so we were running out of fuel. Like 130% IDC request out of fuel
3) boost leak = low boost
All this meant, at the time of my 60-130, we were significantly down on power. We corrected this and started logging again, and fuel/AFR and boost all look better.

Unfortunately, I had to go out of town, but when I get back in a few weeks I will take it out at night when it is cool, without a passenger and on a flat road, and re-run the 60-130. We fully expect a significant improvement in times. So sorry for the (again) delay, but stay tuned and I'll update what I can do when putting down the full 700whp.
Glad to hear it was a relatively painless fix. Looking forward to your next set of numbers.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Not even remotely true. E85 is significantly cheaper than premium gas (at least in the US due to silly subsidies). It also gets worse mileage. I've done the math on my car, and fuel cost is almost exactly the same, I just have to fill up more often. And I get way more power.
Unless you are saving a minimum of 36% per gallon when you buy E-85 (versus regular unleaded), then you are overpaying. If your objective is to go places, you will travel 36% less distance on E-85 than on regular unleaded. If power and testosterone are your things, then (1) money is probably not a priority, and (2) neither is mpg. My comments about the cost of E-85 were relative to how far it will take you.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Domer911
Unless you are saving a minimum of 36% per gallon when you buy E-85 (versus regular unleaded), then you are overpaying. If your objective is to go places, you will travel 36% less distance on E-85 than on regular unleaded. If power and testosterone are your things, then (1) money is probably not a priority, and (2) neither is mpg. My comments about the cost of E-85 were relative to how far it will take you.
While you're not stating anything untrue, I'm not sure why it is necessary to rain on the parade. The reason the price of E85 comes up in conversation isn't because people think they are saving money vs. buying standard gasoline, it's because they are saving money over $12/gallon race gasoline.

People spend $5,000 for an exhaust for these cars, that MAY give them 20hp. Fuel quality is everything in a turbocharged car, and E85 works as well (or better in some cases) than race gas. That is the motivation.

The fact that you can't go as far is known, but not really a concern. Most of us didn't buy 911 Turbos for the fuel economy or for long road trips.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Pretty simply, you don't own a car like this if you worry about an extra $50/month in fuel costs. The power it creates is the only reason e85 is used, who gives a **** about fuel economy? I don't own a prius....

Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Pretty simply, you don't own a car like this if you worry about an extra $50/month in fuel costs. The power it creates is the only reason e85 is used, who gives a **** about fuel economy? I don't own a prius....
Exactly ^^^^^ I don't care if I get 5 miles a gallon, I'll make sure I enjoy every single mile. E85 performs better than MS109 and MS109 goes for $23 a gallon locally here. Its a no brainer, people don't buy a 997 turbo to save on gas go buy a hybrid panamera if gas is a concern. If you can afford a 150k car gas should be the last thing on your mind.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rix
While you're not stating anything untrue, I'm not sure why it is necessary to rain on the parade. The reason the price of E85 comes up in conversation isn't because people think they are saving money vs. buying standard gasoline, it's because they are saving money over $12/gallon race gasoline.

People spend $5,000 for an exhaust for these cars, that MAY give them 20hp. Fuel quality is everything in a turbocharged car, and E85 works as well (or better in some cases) than race gas. That is the motivation.

The fact that you can't go as far is known, but not really a concern. Most of us didn't buy 911 Turbos for the fuel economy or for long road trips.
I get it. I bought mine because there were times when I needed to get to 60 from zero, and had less than three seconds to spend doing it.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:32 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I didn't realize we this was a Prius thread.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:34 PM
ChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TTdude
I didn't realize we this was a Prius thread.
I drive a 997TT cause I'm going green!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Yeah - I was hypermiling just last weekend in my 997tt driving it home from proto. Got almost 20mpg!! Hell yea!!! I saved myself $4.58 in gas money, now I can pay my mortgage...

Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM
man...there's definitely an arrogance in the turbo forum that I've not experienced in the 997 forum...sorry to ruffle your feathers, gentlemen.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM
dewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant future
They're just messin with you man, grow some thicker skin. The point is that on turbo cars, the benefits of e85 far outweigh any mpg concessions.

I really wish that liquid crack was available on Oahu. I used to run it in my Evo, and the power/boost E85 made was what dreams are made of. Addicting to the point that I kept a 55 gallon drum of it at home so I didn't have to ever run standard gas, haha.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Yep - just having some fun. You gotta admit, it is kinda funny to talk about gas mileage with a $150k car..

Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Mine is getting a clutch, injectors, intercoolers (thanks Chkmgnt59), and E85 next week. I'm pretty excited.

If you got 20mpg on E85 that's pretty awesome. In normal cruising I get 25-26 on the highway on pump gas.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Yeah - I was hypermiling just last weekend in my 997tt driving it home from proto. Got almost 20mpg!! Hell yea!!! I saved myself $4.58 in gas money, now I can pay my mortgage...
I got 11 miles a gallon with 91 octane when my car was stock. I think I might get 5 miles a gallon now on E85 when I get it back.

Oh well, gotta pay to play

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E85 + stock turbos?