997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT tuning slowed down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
cheap

Originally Posted by Peskarik
14k for 690 awhp. That IS cheap. Depending on who does the work on 997 that same result would require AT LEAST twice the money.
that is cheap but that's also the limit for that tune beyond 700 awhp you start to destroy the GR6 tranny,bend rods,and god knows what else so i will leave it like that, beyond that is insanely expensive

Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Jim Campbell is infamous around these parts
It's a shame more people aren't tuning Porsche's as it seems to be a more efficent platform than the GTR. Lighter and and a better Cd^a, can't beat physics. I remember an interesting post by one of the AMS guys on here comparing their 996 turbo and GTR at the Texas mile. The conclusion was the Porsche will do the same MPH with less power. I can't remember the figures, perhaps one of the AMS chaps could chime in with the numbers. I know next to nothing about economics but I imagine the cost difference is down to the size of the market. I'm willing to bet that Switzer and AMS sell loads more GTR products than they do Porsche products.
Still there seems to be some pretty serious cars being built in the 996 turbo section, I suppose for a serious build, ie built engine serious, the 996 is just as good as the 997. The porsche turbo really does seems to be a excellent platform joetwint went 231 at the mile with 975whp, the Switzer sledgehammer did a 9.7 @146 quarter in 2008 on 19's and the red EVOMS 997 did 234 in the mile with a problem of some sort, certainly more efficent than supra's and GTR's.
Ta

Last edited by Jim Campbell; 03-11-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jim Campbell
... I know next to nothing about economics but I imagine the cost difference is down to the size of the market. I'm willing to bet that Switzer and AMS sell loads more GTR products than they do Porsche products.
There are many more 996 and 997 Turbos out there than GTRs, plus all the GT2s. Maybe Switzer and AMS sell loads more GTR products, but that would be because of the lower price, compared to parts for Porsche. When word "Porsche" is mentioned the price goes up 100%.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
mods..

Originally Posted by Jim Campbell
It's a shame more people aren't tuning Porsche's as it seems to be a more efficent platform than the GTR. Lighter and and a better Cd^a, can't beat physics. I remember an interesting post by one of the AMS guys on here comparing their 996 turbo and GTR at the Texas mile. The conclusion was the Porsche will do the same MPH with less power. I can't remember the figures, perhaps one of the AMS chaps could chime in with the numbers. I know next to nothing about economics but I imagine the cost difference is down to the size of the market. I'm willing to bet that Switzer and AMS sell loads more GTR products than they do Porsche products.
Still there seems to be some pretty serious cars being built in the 996 turbo section, I suppose for a serious build, ie built engine serious, the 996 is just as good as the 997. The porsche turbo really does seems to be a excellent platform joetwint went 231 at the mile with 975whp, the Switzer sledgehammer did a 9.7 @146 quarter in 2008 on 19's and the red EVOMS 997 did 234 in the mile with a problem of some sort, certainly more efficent than supra's and GTR's.
Ta
i am giving it a shot on my build i'm done with the GTR for now and keep it stock turbos and focus my attention on my 03 996 tt with a budget of $30-35k complete; rods,raceware studs,precision DBB 5558s,turbo kit,triple disc ERP,ProEfi ecm flex fuel tune,plus small misc stuff, with the goal of 1000 crank hp. I love driving the P car and i can't wait how it feels with increased power. The P car wins here in cost of mods hands down from bone stock to maybe 800 to the wheels, to do this mods in the GTR reliably from bone stock i'll say a minimum of $50k upward to $100k +

Old 03-12-2013, 12:40 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
I was kind of forced into spending money on my 997.1TT as I bent a rod. But to get 690awhp you'll have to spend more than I have so far in upgrading the internals and most of the bolt-ons. I'm already over $40k w/ labor...

Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Would the reason be that no-one has yet cracked 997.2 turbo's Siemens-built ECU??

Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Wrong, plenty of ecu tunes for 997.2

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Would the reason be that no-one has yet cracked 997.2 turbo's Siemens-built ECU??
Oh it's been cracked long ago, giac, softronic, FVD (on my 997.2 TT)
It's the internals that are not up to much beyond 100 hp extra. PDK and rods, ultimately dfi fuel rail can't do it. All that is fixed in the new 991 GT3 9a1 DFI engine... Bye bye FOREVER mezger

Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I think it's two fold, the car is 6 yrs old now, market has cooled.
Part two, the 997.2 is almost designed to be unmoddable.
C

Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
C
+1
Bingo, and look for more of that behavior by Porsche going forward

Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Banned

I will be happy and satisfied with a bone stock 2010+ 997 tt PDK with full warranty that will be a hell of a DD.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
3Kidz has a spectacular aura about3Kidz has a spectacular aura about3Kidz has a spectacular aura about
I just spent 130K+ tax for a 2011 TTS plus another 7K for spare wheels, winter tires, and sensors. Honestly, I don't want to mod it and damage and lose my warrantee. It's a real nice DD as it is.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Banned
tts

Originally Posted by 3Kidz
I just spent 130K+ tax for a 2011 TTS plus another 7K for spare wheels, winter tires, and sensors. Honestly, I don't want to mod it and damage and lose my warrantee. It's a real nice DD as it is.
in my book your 2011 tt s is a perfect daily driver and lots of fun it's a point and shoot ordeal, enjoy. Photos will be nice.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
It's disappointing to read the engine internals took a step(s) backwards with the 997.2 Turbo. I've been debating between a GTR, 997.1 or.2 as a usable 2nd daily driver that can be driven year round in the Northeast. I have no interest in a manual trans.

Can the Tip trans be upgraded to perform as well as the PDK? It seems to be the stronger option and comes with a better engine platform (at least strength wise).

Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think it's two fold, the car is 6 yrs old now, market has cooled.
C
I've seen 2011 997.2 Turbo modded to 620hp. With PDK it is 2.7 seconds 0-100kmh. (Surely fast to 200 as well, and in-gear acceleration is most likely mental also). How much faster do you want to have it?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Stage7
It's disappointing to read the engine internals took a step(s) backwards with the 997.2 Turbo. I've been debating between a GTR, 997.1 or.2 as a usable 2nd daily driver that can be driven year round in the Northeast. I have no interest in a manual trans.

Can the Tip trans be upgraded to perform as well as the PDK? It seems to be the stronger option and comes with a better engine platform (at least strength wise).
The Russian blue 997.1 Turbo (owner: MegioN) with 1200hp has Tiptronic. It has been modified to digest all that power. The only two cars faster at Unlim500 were two heavily modded GTRs.