997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT tuning slowed down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 AM
TwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud of
997 TT tuning slowed down

Did the demand for high horsepower 997 TT die?

We dont see newly modified 997 TTs.

Schwitzer is silent. Other tuners dont come up with new projects.

I have chosen the softer path 3 years ago, FVD stage 2 software. Stock exhaust. Did not want to go hardcore.

Yesterdat surfed on gtrlife.com and gtr.co.uk both forums are full of dozens of modified GTRs. Hundreds of heavily modified GTRs in USA and UK. British GTR owners have been enthusiasts with their R34s and now with the R35 they got mad.

What caused the slow down of 997 TT modifications? why dont we see new projects, is the 997 TT not the correct platform?
I mean engine mods not cosmetic mods.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
GTR has a strong cult following.

Porsche's enthusiasts are more chill/relax attitude and we dont have enough time to devote to our car vs GTR's enthusiasts. I find myself so busy with work and family that I dont even have time to drive my cars.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM
mikejones997 is infamous around these partsmikejones997 is infamous around these parts
It's cheap to make a GTR fast,bet all the tuners are waiting on 991 turbo

Old 03-10-2013, 02:59 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
It is a lot cheaper to mod a gtr. There are also a lot more gtr's out there vs 997tt's. Everything for the Porsche costs twice as much, which i dont understand. It does seem like there's no more new builds. Switzer is releasing some new kits soon though.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Reason most likely is that 997.2 TT has intrinsic engine weaknesses that preclude more than adding 100 HP or so. From the PDK to the tappets, and ultimately the fuel rail. However, looking at the specs on the new 991 GT3, Porsche planned it this way for the 9A1 engine, by modifying all the weak spots that Champion identified 2 years ago....titanium, rockers instead of traditional lifters, no doubt they changed up the fuel delivery, and of course PDK-S.....a cynical mind would say Porsche knew this all along and will not allow others to "steal" from their bottom line...ie they want to be the only ones that sell the submodel that fits the customers intent...

Last edited by DÜnkleblau S; 03-10-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mikejones997
It's cheap to make a GTR fast,bet all the tuners are waiting on 991 turbo
i'm not sure if this is cheap but you be the judge. Spent $14k to mod my bone stock 2010 GTR complete out the the door from a shop the result is 690 awhp, mid 10s,traps @ 136 mph on PSS without using launch control. I'm also modding my 03 996 tt but my budget will be twice on what i spent on the GTR and hoping the P car will outrun it.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2swoosh
i'm not sure if this is cheap but you be the judge. Spent $14k to mod my bone stock 2010 GTR complete out the the door from a shop the result is 690 awhp, mid 10s,traps @ 136 mph on PSS without using launch control. I'm also modding my 03 996 tt but my budget will be twice on what i spent on the GTR and hoping the P car will outrun it.
I wish it was only 14k to make 690whp on a 997tt.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yumaverick
It is a lot cheaper to mod a gtr. There are also a lot more gtr's out there vs 997tt's. Everything for the Porsche costs twice as much, which i dont understand. It does seem like there's no more new builds. Switzer is releasing some new kits soon though.
"It's a Porsche, baby"...
As soon as someone hears word "Porsche", they assume that your wallet is tight and charge you twice the price. GTR was always touted as the "cheap supercar", tuners do not dare to jack up the price.

(I am infamous around these parts? :-) What a Kindergarten...)

Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
Reason most likely is that 997.2 TT has intrinsic engine weaknesses that preclude more than adding 100 HP or so. From the PDK to the tappets, and ultimately the fuel rail. However, looking at the specs on the new 991 GT3, Porsche planned it this way for the 9A1 engine, by modifying all the weak spots that Champion identified 2 years ago....titanium, rockers instead of traditional lifters, no doubt they changed up the fuel delivery, and of course PDK-S.....a cynical mind would say Porsche knew this all along and will not allow others to "steal" from their bottom line...ie they want to be the only ones that sell the submodel that fits the customers intent...
1. Great theory about 997.2, but there are many more 997.1 out there, also they are cheaper to buy. The tuning is still incredibly expensive.

2. Conspiracy theory that could have some (or a lot of) truth in it.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by 2swoosh
14k for 690 awhp. That IS cheap. Depending on who does the work on 997 that same result would require AT LEAST twice the money.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 AM
I know I post a lot... but the final thought, I think GTR people are more concentrated on getting the extra performance out of the car. They are armed with their robotized transmissions, all kind of electronic gizmos, and the 0-60 and 1/4 times are so important, if not THE most important factor in their cars.
With 997 Turbo, especially .1 manual ones, the concentration is more on the heritage, the old engine, the feel of the rear-biased weight distribution, the enjoyment of manual shifting. The car is more analogue in a sense, the 200-300-400 extra hp added to already significant 480hp is secondary.
Maybe I am fooling myself, though. I was choosing between new 2011 GTR or 2007-2009 Turbo, I chose 2007 manual Turbo, albeit already with some tuning (580hp), but I liked the looks of the car so much that I chose it over a newer car that cost the same.

Today I was watching a program about Bernd Hahne, a BMW race driver of yore. He still races old-timers. What made me interested is how he talked about his own cars, he has Ferrari 330 GTC, Ferrari F40, and Fiat 500 (a really old one). He loves all three of them, and it was interesting to hear him talk about how mechanical these cars are, while modern cars, as he said "you put them in D and they do everything for you".

http://www.berndhahne.de/F40_blue.html

Must add, I am disappointed in the new GT3. No manual even as an option, all kinds of electronic nannies...

Last edited by Peskarik; 03-11-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
No mistake choosing the turbo over the gtr. I made the mistake of picking the gtr first. While some would call tuning a gtr "cheap", the costs of ownership are FAR from Nissan territory. From $2000 plus oem tire sets to $100 a quart tranny fluid, the cars are more expensive than a tt to maintain!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
The prices of mods are related to supply and demand, there are plenty of 997.1 Turbos out there but majority of them I see on the road (around me anyways)are all stock with orange side markers and all. Seems like more GTR owners are modding their cars compared to TT owners.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
ViciousZ is infamous around these parts
I dont know about anyone else, but I just brought my car in today for some hefty mods..

Gt30's
Rods
Head studs
3.8 Mahle Kit
head work and cams

Goal: 1000 HP on MS 109

stay tuned.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Nice. Saw your car in the for sale section a few months back, guess you're keeping it around for a while now?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT tuning slowed down