997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgraded VTG Requirements?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Question Upgraded VTG Requirements?

Hey Guys,

Im considering going to the next level on my car which is upgraded 65mm VTG's, The reason I am leaning more towards the 65's is because I am not planning on building my gearbox.

My Target: 550-600AWHP

I currently have the following mods on the car:
  1. Protomotive Mafless tune
  2. Techart 60mm 200 Cel Exhaust
  3. IPD Plenum (Stock Throttle Body)
  4. Forge Recirculating Valves
  5. Stock Headers
  6. Stock Airbox with BMC drop in.
Future mods which will be installed:
  1. .2 PDK intercoolers (Next week)
  2. Gearbox tune by Emre or Proto after installing Turbo's
My Question:
  1. What additional modifications will be needed to make the 65mm VTG setup run Smoother/Safer on my car (Keeping Cost Effectiveness In Mind).
  2. Will I be facing any issues with the gearbox?
  3. Is there anyone on here that is running a Stock Gearbox with upgraded 65mm's?
  4. Will the .2 Intercoolers be sufficient for 550-600AWHP and Upgraded VTG's? (Keeping Cost Effectiveness In Mind).
  5. Is there any dramatic difference between the Aftermarket Upgraded VTG providers (Proto,Switzer,Evoms,Champion Etc.) or are they all similar?
Guys please any feedback will be highly appreciated! Dont be shy to reply

Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
1- First thing to consider is changing your exhaust to a higher flowing one.

2- You will start to have gearbox slippage problems as soon as you get below 5.9sec 100-200km/h acceleration.

3- Make SURE to pressure test .2 intercoolers even if they are BRAND NEW.

4- It's a good idea to buy bigger turbo inlet pipes above 550whp.

Regards,
Emre

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Emre@Esmotor

2- You will start to have gearbox slippage problems as soon as you get below 5.9sec 100-200km/h acceleration.

Regards,
Emre
Thank you for the feedback Emre , If you dont mind I have a few more
  1. First thing to consider is changing your exhaust to a higher flowing one. What exhaust set up would be optimum for a 65mm VTG upgrade? (Catless, 100 cel, Muffler Bypass)
  2. You will start to have gearbox slippage problems as soon as you get below 5.9sec 100-200km/h acceleration. Even if I get a gearbox tune will this still be the case? What are the benefits of a gearbox tune (Other than faster shifts), How much WHP is required to run a 5.9sec?
  3. Make SURE to pressure test .2 intercoolers even if they are BRAND NEW. Thank you for the tip, I will keep that in mind. Do you think that the .2 intercoolers will be sufficient for 550-600AWHP?
  4. It's a good idea to buy bigger turbo inlet pipes above 550whp. That is a good idea and one that I have forgotten, I will definetly keep it in mind.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tareq
Thank you for the feedback Emre , If you dont mind I have a few more
  1. First thing to consider is changing your exhaust to a higher flowing one. What exhaust set up would be optimum for a 65mm VTG upgrade? (Catless, 100 cel, Muffler Bypass)
  2. You will start to have gearbox slippage problems as soon as you get below 5.9sec 100-200km/h acceleration. Even if I get a gearbox tune will this still be the case? What are the benefits of a gearbox tune (Other than faster shifts), How much WHP is required to run a 5.9sec?
  3. Make SURE to pressure test .2 intercoolers even if they are BRAND NEW. Thank you for the tip, I will keep that in mind. Do you think that the .2 intercoolers will be sufficient for 550-600AWHP?
  4. It's a good idea to buy bigger turbo inlet pipes above 550whp. That is a good idea and one that I have forgotten, I will definetly keep it in mind.
- min. full 70mm piping with 100cell cats or catless exhaust (design is also important)

- around 550-560whp is needed for 5.9sec. (depends on Dyno brand etc..) It will not solve your slippage problem even if you tune the TCU.

- I don't prefer .2 intercoolers because of plastic end tank design, so i can't comment on this.

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
I was going to mod the car without upgrading the tiptronic but i decided against it.

With modded VTG's and stock tiptronic on pump gas you will be as fast as an APR tuned car with race gas. (that's what i see on the 60-130 times list)
If you want to be faster and decide to run race gas or meth injection, the tiptronic will slip.

milou had problems with his tiptronic slipping with small 63,5 VTG's

Todd K. told me i can run alpha 3071 without the tiptronic slipping. But that's on pump gas and low boost. (less than 1.4 bar)... Not fast for what you have to pay and with time the tiptronic would get fried.

Do it right and you will only have to do it once.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
+1 Turbo inlet pipes and 70mm exhaust

Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Fugazi is infamous around these partsFugazi is infamous around these parts
I, also want to upgrade my Turbo's to Switzer's 600 kit without upgrading the Tip. Neil said the stock Tip will be ok even with the 750 kit with his Tranny-ECU. Now I'm REALLY confused!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by w00zy
I was going to mod the car without upgrading the tiptronic but i decided against it.

With modded VTG's and stock tiptronic on pump gas you will be as fast as an APR tuned car with race gas. (that's what i see on the 60-130 times list)
If you want to be faster and decide to run race gas or meth injection, the tiptronic will slip.

milou had problems with his tiptronic slipping with small 63,5 VTG's

Todd K. told me i can run alpha 3071 without the tiptronic slipping. But that's on pump gas and low boost. (less than 1.4 bar)... Not fast for what you have to pay and with time the tiptronic would get fried.

Do it right and you will only have to do it once.
Thank you very much for your input , I have contacted Milou and he did confirm that he had tranny slipping when he upgraded VTG's.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SeattleBum
+1 Turbo inlet pipes and 70mm exhaust
Thank you Seattle for your advise, I am definetly going to consder replacing my exhaust and upgrade the boost hoses if I am to upgrade to VTG's

Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Fugazi
I, also want to upgrade my Turbo's to Switzer's 600 kit without upgrading the Tip. Neil said the stock Tip will be ok even with the 750 kit with his Tranny-ECU. Now I'm REALLY confused!
Man I am just confused as you are right now!

As far as I understand the TCU software will help in speed of shifts, but is not related to tranny slippage? Maybe EMRE can shed some insight on this as he is the most experienced in Tiptronics.

I spoke to a few tuners they all said my stock tranny can hold upto 600WHP without slipping, and now the real data from actual people who upgraded all claim tranny slippage

Im starting to get second thoughts on this, but until I gather as much information as possible I am ""

Last edited by Tareq; 03-20-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Typo - Added Information
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Thumbs up

- min. full 70mm piping with 100cell cats or catless exhaust (design is also important)

- around 550-560whp is needed for 5.9sec. (depends on Dyno brand etc..) It will not solve your slippage problem even if you tune the TCU.

- I don't prefer .2 intercoolers because of plastic end tank design, so i can't comment on this.
Thank you for taking the time to share your advice Emre, It is highly appreciated!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Maybe some more members can share their experiences on the Requirements of VTG upgrades and any experiences of upgraded VTG's on stock trannys!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
G911 is a glorious beacon of lightG911 is a glorious beacon of lightG911 is a glorious beacon of lightG911 is a glorious beacon of lightG911 is a glorious beacon of lightG911 is a glorious beacon of light
Very good tread! I also thing about 65 or 68 VTG but I have my own solution
I have 80 mm exhaust no cats, intercoolers, and now I want get 65 or 68 turbos and enjoy if I brake transmission or other stuff, so well be it. But I hope all be ok. Cause I want 700 hp, not more in this year

Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
With our TCU flash, we've run 68mm VTG's without slippage. If you really want to take advantage of the turbos with full supporitng modifications, you will need to build the transmission though. We have done what we call the lite-package, which is 65/68mm's with 997.2 intercoolers, stock inlets and a 3" exhaust. This setup will be fine on the stock transmission with our TCU flash, and is a great stepping stone for those who don't want to go all-in right now.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !

Regards,
Emre
Hi Emre,

Have you any examples where testing new .2tt coolers has produced leakage?

TIA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgraded VTG Requirements?