997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Only pdk on new 911 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:09 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I like the idea of PDK turbos. I hate the idea of PDK GT3s.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 AM
the993 is infamous around these parts
No MT on 991 TT....So what's new? The current 997.2 TT isn't offered in MT, as far as I am aware!!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Rodbuster is infamous around these parts
I get the impression that Porsche is heading in the direction of the GT-R. Porsche needs to realize they are reducing their prospective customer base, by not giving the buyers what they want. What is next, no cabriolet?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by the993
No MT on 991 TT....So what's new? The current 997.2 TT isn't offered in MT, as far as I am aware!!
You can get MT on the 997.2 TT but only PDK on the TTS.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Lol. You mean once you have no choice you have no choice.

This is what always happens i find. The paddles only keep you amused for so long before you realise you are kidding yourself....i.e. just trying to stay amused with the technology.....novelty wears off....back to auto.
Exactly right, I had a tts for 7 mos. the novelty wore off month 3....back in a manual.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
I had always held Porsche above Ferrari and Lamborghini for offering their custmers a choice, and I have a hard time beleiving that production costs would be SOO much higher if needing to have parts for both options on the production line. It's something they already do today, so it should be pretty close to business as usual sourcing and building both optoins. Plus, prices of the 991 generation are already so much higher than 997, that I don't buy it being completely a cost decision.

(yes, in the Andreas Preuninger GT3 interview he mentioned quality standards deminishing with lower volume of parts, but how long has Porsche been producing manauls?...i doubt there are many quality issues at this stage...this is PORSCHE!)

I have limited seat time driving a PDK, but my initial impressions is it's only fun when driving at 9/10's or higher, and you want as little interuption in power as possible. While the manual can be fun at both 9/10's AND while just tooling around town. I personally enjoy taking the turbo out, windows down on a nice day, and casually rowning through the gears, feeling the connection to the mechanical nature of the car. An experience PDK won't offer. It's like the sports car industry (with all the 0-60 times, ring times / etc) markets only to driving at 9/10's in order to have fun.....do they not know we are mostly driving on public roads?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johnww
Car Mag, 3/13...Wolfgang Hatz (quote): "Next turbo will take 911 to new level and I will be honest, we will not have a manual anymore." They had a photo of it which seemed to show little change except for a smaller rear spoiler.
Their raw, track oriented GT3 is a PDK at this point (with a very plush interior) so it is absolutely no surprise that they would only put the PDK on their "Grand Tourer".

Very disappointed indeed.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
clay5523 is infamous around these partsclay5523 is infamous around these parts
Now my wife will be able to drive my TT. Have to think of more excuses!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Nobody blames Ferrari?

They set the trends - the world follows.

I agree with the Viper and 'Vette, but I feel it is just a matter of time for them as well... A longer time, but time regardless.

I'll add - for those that want to row gears and have the experience - there is always the C2/C2S/C4/C4S (for now).

Those who want to go fast - there is the Turbo.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
While the base TT and GT3 will be offered in PDK, my gut tells me that they will offer a 6-speed (7-speed) manual as an option.

But for marketing purposes as they pertain to 0-60, 1/4 mile and ring times the PDK is the faster setup and has to be the standard base option to compete with the field of super cars. Unfortunately this is what the "market" demands, and the majority of people buy the sizzle and not the steak. I still want the steak please

Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aa909
While the base TT and GT3 will be offered in PDK, my gut tells me that they will offer a 6-speed (7-speed) manual as an option.

But for marketing purposes as they pertain to 0-60, 1/4 mile and ring times the PDK is the faster setup and has to be the standard base option to compete with the field of super cars. Unfortunately this is what the "market" demands, and the majority of people buy the sizzle and not the steak. I still want the steak please
While I agree with the GT3 aspect, the last Turbo S only came in PDK, why would this be expected to reverse?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
While I agree with the GT3 aspect, the last Turbo S only came in PDK, why would this be expected to reverse?
just my gut feeling. The 991 Turbo S may still only be offered in PDK due to the low volume, but I feel like for the mass market Turbo they'll come to their senses and offer the 6-speed (7-speed) manual to appease the US market. They sell enough turbos to justify offering it as an option, and "purists" will pay a premium of a couple thousand to get a manual. Funny how the manual may be the more costly option moving forward

The flip side of the argument is the following: if you pass up a 991 turbo because you want a 6-speed manual what are your alternatives in the super car world in the $150K-$200K range (new and used)? Not many

Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
just my gut feeling. The 991 Turbo S may still only be offered in PDK due to the low volume, but I feel like for the mass market Turbo they'll come to their senses and offer the 6-speed (7-speed) manual to appease the US market. They sell enough turbos to justify offering it as an option, and "purists" will pay a premium of a couple thousand to get a manual. Funny how the manual may be the more costly option moving forward

The flip side of the argument is the following: if you pass up a 991 turbo because you want a 6-speed manual what are your alternatives in the super car world in the $150K-$200K range (new and used)? Not many
We don't even have a 991 turbo yet so the 991 turbo s is probably a couple of years away...and who knows what will happen by then.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 PM

Don't know about the supercar price (or classification) - but my money is on the new Z06/ZR-1 to be the new sheriff in town - with a traditional single clutch manual.

Another reason to take the Viper seriously...

Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RNS

I have limited seat time driving a PDK, but my initial impressions is it's only fun when driving at 9/10's or higher, and you want as little interuption in power as possible. While the manual can be fun at both 9/10's AND while just tooling around town. I personally enjoy taking the turbo out, windows down on a nice day, and casually rowning through the gears, feeling the connection to the mechanical nature of the car. An experience PDK won't offer. It's like the sports car industry (with all the 0-60 times, ring times / etc) markets only to driving at 9/10's in order to have fun.....do they not know we are mostly driving on public roads?
My experience as well. Pretty hard to come close to 9/10 on the street and a manual can even make driving in traffic entertaining.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Only pdk on new 911 turbo